Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Going large with a Harrier.......
Topic Started: Apr 17 2018, 08:56 AM (782 Views)
tc2324
Member Avatar
LCDR Tony `Banana's` Clay
Needing a break from the Norwich project, I have chosen to start one of my 1/24 projects. This will be a first for me and a long term project, something to work on between Norwich builds but hopefully ready for display at the 2019 Newark Cockpit Fest. I obtained this kit quite cheaply, £25 IIRC with the original plan to build this alongside a 1/24 Hurricane and Typhoon and then display all of them in flight on a central plinth. It was at this point that the drugs wore off and reality set in as to where the hell I would store such a display A centerpiece for the dinning room table would no doubt mean future dinners being eaten on our laps and SWMBO giving me `that` look for possibly years to come. So I have held off getting the Hurricane and plan to build the Harrier and Tiffie as separate entities. I`ll discuss plans for the Tiffie when the time comes as this thread concerns the Harrier GR.3.

So first a couple of pictures and this gives you an idea of the scale, 1/24 v 1/72 in the first photo and then the 1/24 Tiffie v 1/24 Harrier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It was quite surprising to see that the Harrier and Tiffie are quite similar in size and makes you realise how large the Typhoon was and how small the Harrier GR.3 is despite the 20 years that separate both designs.

So what exactly am I going to do with this Harrier. As mentioned I originally had the idea of an in-flight, bog standard build, possibly dropping a bomb or recreating a Falklands War ejection scene in 1/24 adding the aftermarket detailing sets and really going to town on as much detail as possible. It was when I googled said aftermarket sets that I realised that I would be paying out possibly 5 times the amount I spent on the kit itself! While I love modeling as a hobby, I refuse to take out a second mortgage on it. So plan B sprung into action and while it was a plan B, it`s more a Plan A- as it`s a modelling challenge right up my alley and far more cost effective....., kinda. (Dio base and bits will have a cost implication).

So last September I was lucky enough to get a visit to the Manston Fire School to view the various airframes, especially ZE360. But I was also quite intrigued with the other residents and always thought this Harrier, (XW768), would make for a decent diorama. It was one of three Harrier GR.3`s delivered to Halton as the last flying examples in the RAF and used for airframe training before ending it`s days as an non destructive airframe for the fire school. I`m assuming non destructive means they can not burn it??

Posted Image

Posted Image

More soon.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
:pop

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Looking forward to this.

I have the same kit in my stash (also acquired for £25). I've looked at aftermarket stuff too, and I agree about the price, but I'm still in two minds about it. If I do it, I'll do it big!
I may have to look at 2019 Cockpitfest for mine too, just to fill those tables, lol

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
I always remember these 1/24 Harriers as being my grail kit back in the late 70s. I still plan on getting my hands on one some day.
That is a truly sad picture of XW768 :ohmy

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
DevilFish
Apr 17 2018, 09:25 AM
Looking forward to this.

I have the same kit in my stash (also acquired for £25). I've looked at aftermarket stuff too, and I agree about the price, but I'm still in two minds about it. If I do it, I'll do it big!
I may have to look at 2019 Cockpitfest for mine too, just to fill those tables, lol
ive got the Sea Harrier Version (for £25 as well)

shall we make a cockpit fest date?

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Mark M
Apr 17 2018, 10:56 AM
DevilFish
Apr 17 2018, 09:25 AM
Looking forward to this.

ive got the Sea Harrier Version (for £25 as well)

shall we make a cockpit fest date?
:like

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I don't know about indestructible as it's halfway there already. Would make a good Diorama though.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
I started one of these a few months ago, I need to get on with it really :redface I am doing mine as an AV-8A Matador of the Spanish Navy.

It is such a shame to see that Harrier like that :ohmy

Look forward to seeing your build take shape :grin:

tc2324
Member Avatar
Absolutely agree, it`s a shame that so many airframes went this way or worse, but unfortunately other then being one of the RAF`s last GR.3`s, there was nothing remarkable about `768`s service as far as I can find that would of earmarked it for preservation.

Started some primary work which I`ll post up later but thought I`d share this piccy of a well known forum member sitting in Prince Charles seat ........... :grin:

Posted Image

tc2324
Member Avatar
Spent last night looking over the main issues that need to be planned and action.

1. Cutting off the nose, check.

Posted Image

(Not a perfect fit admittedly but the great thing about wreck diorama builds is that you can get away with certain things. In this case the nose is hanging off so I don`t need it to fit perfectly).

2. Internal engine plastic all needs to be taken out. As seen in the photos the nozzles are missing and it`s just 4 big black holes.

Posted Image

3. Got to think about the tail bend to a near right angle. I have an idea so hopefully will be able to post the result tomorrow.

Posted Image

4. Intake intakes(?) need to be opened up. Requires a drill, drill bit, file and plasticard.

Posted Image

Hopefully over the next couple of days I`ll be able to post the results.

More soon.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
tc2324
Apr 17 2018, 07:46 PM
Absolutely agree, it`s a shame that so many airframes went this way or worse, but unfortunately other then being one of the RAF`s last GR.3`s, there was nothing remarkable about `768`s service as far as I can find that would of earmarked it for preservation.

Started some primary work which I`ll post up later but thought I`d share this piccy of a well known forum member sitting in Prince Charles seat ........... :grin:

Posted Image

Well it isn't me or you Tony so who?

DevilFish
Member Avatar
The Airfix 1/24 Harrier has some of the best rivet detail ever put on a kit.

It's just a shame the real thing doesn't have them!

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Del - its Nigel - Nikon User

your making me want to dig my kit out, but i must resist

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Mark M
Apr 18 2018, 08:53 AM
Del - its Nigel - Nikon User

your making me want to dig my kit out, but i must resist
Right ho. Always nice to fit a face to a name.

tc2324
Member Avatar
Had the day off today so managed to crack on with a few things and experiment with some ideas regarding this build. First though I apologise for the high number of photo`s in this update but felt it necessary to highlight what I`m trying to do and it may also help or inspire someone else who may be in the middle of chopping up a 1/24 Harrier......

So as mentioned in the previous post, drill, drill bit, file and plasticard were put to good use to create the little intake doors around the main intake. (really should find out what they are called....)

Posted Image

It`s all a bit rough and ready at the moment, but I`ll tidy up the edges in due course and this is just to give you an idea of how I`m getting it done.

Next are a series of pictures showing how I`m getting the tail to bend at a right angle. Luckily this kit comes with a tail unit for the AV-8 variant show I have used this as a test subject.

First mark up the cut line and cut the half that`s the direction of the bend, starboard in this case. Then score a line on the port half but don`t cut all the way through.

Posted Image

Next trim about 4mm off each of the starboard cut line half`s..........

Posted Image

....... and then stick everything together so you end up with something like this.......

Posted Image

You now have a tail fin that can bend to the required angle and after a bit of filler and a bit of paint, it`s a reasonable representation of what I`m after.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Like I said this is all very experimental and done of a budget, so I`m open to suggestions before starting on the real parts.

more soon.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Work In Progress · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: