Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
'76 Ford Torino; 1:25 Scale (07038)
Topic Started: May 26 2018, 07:18 AM (33 Views)
Johni044
Lt John "bullet" Irwing
Posted Image

’76 Ford Torino
1:25 Scale (07038)

Posted Image

Background
The Torino was an intermediate range car produced by Ford between 1968 and 1976 and was initially an up-scaled version of the Fairlane. Produced as 4-door sedans and 2-door hardtops whilst the car was used as the base for Fords NASCAR entrants it most likely would have bypassed world wide attention if it had not been used in the 70’s hit TV show “Starsky and Hutch” where the car was given some specific modifications, most noticbly an aggressive vector white stripe, 5-slot mag wheels and larger rear tyres. ( a look I can personally recall being copied on everything from Reliant Robins and Ford Zodiacs, with varying degrees of effectiveness)

The Kit

The Torino has been issued a couple of times under the Monogram and Revell names, this kit is a re-issue of the 2015 tooling initially released by Revell USA (the copyright date is embossed on the lower bodywork)
Posted Image
This being a “Gift Set” it comes with 4 pots of Revell Aquacolor required for the model although to make the kit in accordance with the instructions the remaining 13 colours would need to be sourced. Also included is a paintbrush ( which I would not recommend using) and Contacta Professional cement (that I do recommend).

The 88 mutli coloured parts come wrapped in several polythene bags in Revell’s standard end opening style box with quite striking artwork of Dave Starsky’s “Red Tomato”. Some of the sprues have been cut to facilitate them fitting into the box. I must confess I am not a fan of bright coloured styrene, particularly red that being said given the colour of the subject I can understand it.

The Plastic

Gate A
Posted Image

Gate C
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gates B;E & F
Posted Image

Gate G
Posted Image

Gate H
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate I
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate J
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate K
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate L
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate M
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gate N
Posted Image

Overall there is very little in the way of flash, together with minimal burring should result in only a ltllle clean up being required. Whilst there are some ejector pin marks they will be hidden for the most part when the kit is constructed. Although as normal, test fitting to make sure there is no interference between connecting surfaces is always recommended. There are a few ejector pin circles on the bonnet (hood) inner that you may want to give some attention to, and depending on how accurate you want the finished article to be, you could also drill out some of the subframe holes in the chassis.

In Detail
Just a few close ups
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Decals
Posted Image
The decals are of excellent quality being fully in register and a good depth of colour, separate instrument dials are included. The iconic white vector stripe is included, hopefully this will be of sufficient strength not to let the red bleed through otherwise a careful masking job is going to be needed.

Instructions

Posted Image
The construction is detailed over 29 stages in the now standard all colour instructions. Paint callouts are in Revell paints only although if wanting use Ford colours this was spayed in Ford Bright Red (Code 2B).

Link to Instructions

Conclusions
I can see no reason why this model should not build up to a fine replica of a 70’s automotive icon. Surely a must have for either American Muscle Car, or T.V. related model collectors.

Highly recommended, a kit I will be making in the near future, just need a thick wool cardigan and jump into a swimming pool first.
Many thanks to Revell for the review sample.

Posted Image

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit ;

Revell Website

Revell Facebook

Edited by Johni044, May 26 2018, 08:22 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Another great American car and from a goodish series on the TV. There is something about the big, brash American cars especially with that deep V8 rumble.

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
got one of those in the stash

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Revell Kit Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply