Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
What if WW2 never happened?
Topic Started: May 31 2018, 06:45 AM (109 Views)
DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
So, we'll accept that Hitler took power and set Germany on the path to war. But, in 1937, after he reveals his plans to his subordinates, for world domination, several of the Generals are horrified that Germany could be plunged into another horrific war.
Hitler and his main henchmen are "removed" in early 1938.

Fast forward to 1945, and a now recovered Germany is hosting an airshow at Berlin Tempelhof.

The RAF send over some of it's premier fighters for display.

One of these is the Boulton Paul Defiant, seen as the premier anti-bomber fighter. Resplendent in it's highly polished metalwork, the Defiant, along with the RAF's main frontline fighter, the Hurricane, were stars of the show.

Posted ImageDSC_0018 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSC_0020 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSC_0019 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSC_0021 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSC_0023 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Posted ImageDSC_0022 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
Thats a beautiful metal finish :clap:

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Lovely mate

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
A beautiful finish Paul, Alclad?

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
Ooh . . . Errr . . . Very nice. :cool

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Olde Farte
May 31 2018, 10:46 AM
A beautiful finish Paul, Alclad?
Yes. High Speed Silver and Airframe Aluminium

They come out very nice, but I have a problem with the names. The "Aluminium" looks more like Steel (the darker colour), and the "High Speed Silver", isn't.....High speed silver is the unofficial name for the silver used on post war RAF aircraft, either all over, or on the undersides. That finish is painted on, and is more like an aluminium paint. Alclad's version is definitely a bare metal look.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Seeing as how it is a whiff of sorts perhaps it wasn't HSS but highly polished metal for the display, whatever, it still looks good.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Olde Farte
May 31 2018, 12:28 PM
Seeing as how it is a whiff of sorts perhaps it wasn't HSS but highly polished metal for the display, whatever, it still looks good.
In this case it would be polished bare metal.

My problem is Alclad are selling a paint as HSS, which isn't.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
DevilFish
May 31 2018, 12:47 PM
Olde Farte
May 31 2018, 12:28 PM
In this case it would be polished bare metal.

My problem is Alclad are selling a paint as HSS, which isn't.
Which is what I said......................... :whistle

Have you thought about mentioning it to them? They have a contact page here. http://alclad2.com/contact/consumers/

I'm surprised they haven't been screaming their heads off over on Britmodeller, seems right up their street as it would be a hanging offence there.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Olde Farte
May 31 2018, 01:32 PM

Have you thought about mentioning it to them? They have a contact page here. http://alclad2.com/contact/consumers/

I'm surprised they haven't been screaming their heads off over on Britmodeller, seems right up their street as it would be a hanging offence there.
I complained about some of their products at Telford last year and walked away with a bunch of free paints. But the complaint was that they weren't spraying properly.

I'm happy with the way it comes out, as long as I don't use it as HSS. I have better paints for that.

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
very nice, kinda works in that finish

and an interesting ATL

beowulf
Member Avatar
Lt. Paul 'Red Dog' Rose
actually its a VERY interesting ATL

if it wasnt for WW2 then.........

we wouldnt have had the massive leap in armament development that we got
america wouldnt have been the massive manufacturing base it has become......or the big player on the worlds scene
and neither would USSR have become what it did/has,.......and the communist block wouldnt have happened.......or indeed NATO
we wouldnt have had the break up of the empire in the same way
no nuclear weapons or space race in the way we know it
Edited by beowulf, May 31 2018, 03:53 PM.

DH764
Member Avatar
Totally Tonkas Bonkas !!
That Defiant looks so right in that NMF .....I really like that !! :wub:
No WW2....that certainly raises some debate ....as beowulf says ...no arms race / space race / nukes .
Very thought provoking .

Andy

DevilFish
Member Avatar
That is the thing, isn't it? I've seen people do Spitfire Mk24s in pre-war colours, with the "WW2 didn't happen" tag. Well, if WW2 didn't happen, the Spit 24 wouldn't exist! In fact, in my time line, the Spitfire would be a minor player, equipping maybe 2 squadrons at most. It was expensive and hard to manufacture, so, it's unlikely that in a peacetime environment, it would have survived, leaving the Hurricane the premier fighter.
Engine and weapon development would have stalled too.
I think the jet engine would still be around, just as a research project, as Whittle and that German guy both had prototypes before the war. Maybe Germany takes the lead on jet and rocket technology?

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Don't forget the Soviet Union had already arisen and they could still have annexed the Bloc countries, Japan had already caused big problems in the far East long before major events in Europe so there would probably have been enough for the world to kick off with WW-2. Don't forget also that if it hadn't happened some of us may not necessarily have been born because of jobless families and inherent poverty. We would not have had displaced foreign fighters over here which alone created many mixed race marriages and families with others being conceived behind the Nissen huts so to speak. No RACISM intended.

Ernest Rutherford had conceived the idea of splitting the atom during the early years of the 20th Century so Nuclear technology was already around.

It does make one wonder though how things could have turned out.

Edited by Olde Farte, Jun 1 2018, 08:38 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · What If · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: