Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hataka - Orange or Red?
Topic Started: Jun 26 2018, 09:35 PM (67 Views)
Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
im going to buy the 'russian flanker or fullback paint set' but shall i get the red or orange lines

ive used the red line (acrylic) for a while now and most of them are really good, when you learn to mix / shake the hell out of them

ive not used the orange line but im hearing good things (the laqure based ones)

have people used the orange ones? how do they compare to the red line?

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
I've only ever used the orange line. I always use lacquer thinner with gunze acrylics as I find it makes the colours more 'fluid' gives a really nice smooth finish and the colours blend easily, it makes the paint perform very much like my preferred enamel (xtracolor) when spraying. Hataka Orange performs in a very similar way, if there is a fault then it's that the colour density may be less than Gunze so you have to mist on more layers.

You will have to use Laquer thinners, I use the Mr colour self levelling which works great.

One unusual feature of Laquer based acrylic is that each coat will to a certain extent soften the coat underneath so it is very important to plan the order and use lighter colours first. I made the mistake of trying to paint a white stripe over a camouflaged surface, as the paint dried a stain from the colours underneath came through, no amount of overspraying with the white got rid completely. On the plus side if you manage to get a mark such as a slight fingerprint on the surface, a touch up with the airbrush will often 'dissolve' it away!

I've not used the Red line, I can't think there would be any advantage for me but not all sets are done in the Orange so I may need to use them if I get a subject that demands a particular colour.

Not sure about the red line but the Orange has a ball bearing or similar in the bottle to aid shake mixing.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Thanks Simon

the red line or certainly the 3 sets ive got dont have the ball bearing, however ive found a nut from Jamies old mecano does the job

normally i would use tamiya paints however im finding that more modern colours (like the russian stuff) arnt well catered for so having to look elsewhere

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
I noticed the difference using Laquer thinner when using Tamiya, I had been using their standard thinner but then tried the Laquer stuff, made it like a different paint. Agreed their colour range isn't very military specific hence I major on Gunze but I do like the Hataka Orange and have several sets.

One other thing about Laquer thinner (it may be the same with ordinary thinners?) if you use a high gloss colour and then stick Tamiya tape over the top the paint will react and mark (it takes on a slight texture as if it wasn't dry) even if you let it dry several days first. The good news is that a coat of Tamiya closs varnish, heavily thinned (20% varnish 80% thinner) sprayed over the top in preparation of the decalling stage will usually dissolve this marking away again. No such problems with Matt or Satin finishes which accounts for most of the military colours in the Gunze ranges. I haven't come across any gloss colours in the Hataka Orange line yet.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Have you considered AKAN as they have both Enamel and Acrylic and have an excellent range of Russian colours and some are faded also. Very smooth and as I brush at least 2 coats are needed but also sprayable and come with their own primer in a large bottle. Certified as matched to airframes. I use this shop,
http://hpns.eu.nettihotelli.org/shop/akan

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Thanks simon, i think ill give them a whirl

the problem with akan, is cost and avaliability in the uk, i like to keep the small uk based retailers in a job

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Mark M
Jun 27 2018, 09:28 PM
Thanks simon, i think ill give them a whirl

the problem with akan, is cost and avaliability in the uk, i like to keep the small uk based retailers in a job
Your choice of course but I prefer to get them where I know there is stock and that shop is the cheapest.

Coastal craft do them but, boy, they are very expensive. http://coastalcraftmodelsuk.com/akan_paints.php

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Modelling Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply