Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
1:48 Italeri Grumman F7F Tigercat
Topic Started: Jun 30 2018, 01:33 PM (192 Views)
DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Classic Naval twin from the final period of the Second World War. No Navy really took to using a twin from Carrier decks at that particular time, and even after, the Sea Hornets and Sea Mosquitos had an operational career from Decks which was fairly brief. It's a type which, all the same, saw a decent amount of service and numerous airframes survived for flying in civilian hands, not least those committed to firefighting operations in the USA and Canada.

Unremarkable but nice kit. Lots of acreage on the decal sheet and a bit of underwing armament.

As usual, SFTB.
Edited by DLG Dave, Jul 3 2018, 06:44 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
thats a subject i didnt expect seeing, i look forward to it

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
It's not a bad kit, I built one a few months back. Some small issues that require a little care such as the fitting of the rear canopy section and the engine cowl/nacelle joint but nothing that detracted from enjoying the build.

Do not underestimate the mount of nose weight required, I did and ended up having to add more by pouring some epoxy covered lead shot into the nose wheel bay.

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
Simon G
Jun 30 2018, 04:03 PM
It's not a bad kit, I built one a few months back. Some small issues that require a little care such as the fitting of the rear canopy section and the engine cowl/nacelle joint but nothing that detracted from enjoying the build.

Do not underestimate the mount of nose weight required, I did and ended up having to add more by pouring some epoxy covered lead shot into the nose wheel bay.
I'm cheating - it will be displayed in flight! :yipee

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
DLG Dave
Jun 30 2018, 04:06 PM
Simon G
Jun 30 2018, 04:03 PM

I'm cheating - it will be displayed in flight! :yipee
. . . . A cunning plan!

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
:pop

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Nice..............I believe the full size aircraft was prone to tail sitting when unfuelled.

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
Olde Farte
Jul 1 2018, 08:39 AM
Nice..............I believe the full size aircraft was prone to tail sitting when unfuelled.
In the kit there's actually a moulding of an oil drum with a box sitting on it to prop the tail onto. Whether that might be accurate for NAS Sanford in 1947 is probably questionable, but it's certainly not out of the question for a diorama set in a corner of Kimpo airfield in 1951.

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cockpit is like the rest of the kit, just fine for my purposes. There's nothing else I'd really want to see and the IP is fairly well presented. There's a decal for the panel but I didn't really see a need for it. It would take a fair swamping with decal solution and with a driver in the seat, to no real meaningful advantage.

So the next bit reminded me a little of my experience with the Tamiya Skyraider. Once the interior is complete, you get the rest of the airframe together and you realise you're on the home straight.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Looking good

blainecole
airbrush beginner
That is a fine looking aircraft.

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
A classic design. Good progress.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
A nice start and you have to have the box and oil drum to hold it up, will look good.

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
The engines are really the only significant secondary sub-assemblies and for most purposes they're just fine for anyone. If you wanted to build a diorama with cowlings open they'd probably need a bit of extra attention but I can't see why anyone would find them wanting for a normal build.

Posted Image

Props need a bit of work cleaning the seams but otherwise again they're just fine.

Posted Image

As mentioned by a contribution earlier, the cowling fit is a bit indifferent so the model is currently in the sunshine curing some milliput filling the gaps. With a bit of luck, I could well be getting the primer on by the end of today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I would be more than happy with those engines Dave, they look fine.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pussy Galore GB · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: