Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Westland Lynx HAS.2; Airfix 1/48 - converted
Topic Started: Jul 4 2018, 11:37 AM (204 Views)
Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
Joining in with this build will be my Lynx HAS.2.

Starting with this kit;
Posted Image

My Lynx is to be a unique helicopter in the distant past of the Royal Navy - which one will be revealed in a later update. The excellent kit needs a fair bit of conversion.

Main rotor blades - the kit blades need the paddle tips removing and a straight blade section grafting on, to make the correct length. The root profile needs amending also.

Tail rotor blades - The HAS.2 tail rotor went anti-clockwise when viewed from the port side - the kit tail goes clockwise, so this direction needs reversing.

The kit tail rotor blades are shown correctly for an aircraft that isn't running. The blades are correctly canted outboard. The blades need removing to mount them correctly. I'll explain why this needs to be done later.

Strengthening plates on the kit fuselage and tail boom didn't exist in the early 1980's, so they need cutting and sanding off.

Horizontal stabiliser - The kit version is the short one with a Gurney Flap. I need to fabricate a new, longer version without the flap.

Reverse Gearbox - this needs to be removed from the tail pylon.

Other modifications are relatively minor, but the kit needs some considered work to backdate it. Should be fun!

Regards,

Nigel

:grin:
Edited by Nikon User, Jul 4 2018, 11:43 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Sounds as though some fun is on the horizon Nigel. :pop

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
I'm confused already

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
Before anyone mentions it, I know there's a resin conversion kit out there, but now I have some mojo back I feel like some old fashioned modelling!

:WHIP :WHIP :WHIP

(Having written that, it won't surprise me if I regret the decision)

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
I just want to know what a Gurney flap is....

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
DevilFish
Jul 5 2018, 12:42 PM
One of my favourite subjects Paul!

In straightforward terms, it's a piece of metal at the trailing edge of the Lynx horizontal stabiliser, that sticks up vertically from the top surface.

The following link to our "How to" guides, explains a bit more.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Mainly_Military/topic/766680/

Nigel

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Thanks for that! lol

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Nikon User
Jul 5 2018, 08:20 PM
DevilFish
Jul 5 2018, 12:42 PM
One of my favourite subjects Paul!

In straightforward terms, it's a piece of metal at the trailing edge of the Lynx horizontal stabiliser, that sticks up vertically from the top surface.

The following link to our "How to" guides, explains a bit more.

http://s15.zetaboards.com/Mainly_Military/topic/766680/

Nigel
Sorry Nigel but there's me thinking it was a flap on a stretcher to allow the wind to pass through.

Yeah, I know I'll get my hat.
Edited by Olde Farte, Jul 7 2018, 09:20 AM.

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
UPDATE

As mentioned before, the Alley Cat conversion is out there - and I have one sitting nearby as I type - but having found my modelling enthusiasm has returned, I've decided to go a little "old school" and carry out all the conversion from my HMA.8 kit to become a HAS.2 from around 1980 by using more traditional modelling methods.

Starting with some easy stuff...

Under the fuselage, between the main wheels, the kit has the Doppler antenna, moulded on a box structure (marked in red). For my aircraft the kit antenna needs to be cut off and the antenna plate (but not the housing box) must be re-located to the front of the aircraft.

Posted Image

Once cut off with a razor saw, the sides of the box were trimmed away with a craft knife, to leave the antenna plate, which was then fixed to it's correct location - on the right of the photo.

Posted Image

Next up was the tail boom. This was assembled from the two halves, being careful to select the boom type that folds. At the area that is the aft end of No.3 drive shaft, there's a gap that, on the more modern aircraft, is filled with a DSP (Digital Signal Processor). The first photo shows the gap, and the second shows what would be there on the later model.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The next photo shows a piece of plastic card and some old round sprue to fill the gap, making it take less filler to create the rounded profile.

Posted Image

The boom was finished with filling and sanding. That's it for the first update - more of the easy stuff in a couple of days!

Regards,

Nigel

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
You are a sucker for hard work Nigel but it works and well.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Very cool

Nikon User
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
UPDATE 2

The tail boom is now ready for primer, having completed the filling and sanding of the DSP aerial on top of the drive shafts. This first photo shows two more areas that need to be modified on the tail fin.

Marked in red at the top is the reverse gearbox cover. The original Lynx had the tail rotor turning anti-clockwise (when viewed from the left side) but in later versions, the rotation was made clockwise, so this is what my kit has. The way Westlands reversed the rotation was by way of a modified gearbox, resulting in a protrusion on the right side of the fin. For my HAS.2 version, I have cut off the reverse gearbox bulge and filled the resulting hole. Below that, also marked in red, is a fairing that needs to be removed by sanding it flat to the surrounding surface.

Posted Image

With the fin attached to the boom, all serious modifications to the tail are complete. The tail rotor is going to be a separate subject - and I'm not looking forward to it!

Posted Image

Another area tackled to date is the nose of the helicopter. The kit nose has a radar fairing on the underside, where I need a smooth nose cone. The large round fairing, marked in red, is to be cut off with a razor saw.

Posted Image

The hole on the underside of the nose cone was impressive! :ohmy

Posted Image

The hole was patched from the inside with plastic card and the gap filled with some plastic tubing, to reduce the amount of filler needed.

Posted Image

After filling with Perfect Plastic Putty, the sanding was started :WHIP

Posted Image
Posted Image

All in, the build has moved on quite well. I think the next update will feature the sponson, so I can then get the fuselage halves closed up. More soon.

Regards,

Nigel

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
:pop

DevilFish
Member Avatar
Amazing work!

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
:pop

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Pussy Galore GB · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: