Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
One Wing Biplanes
Topic Started: Jul 4 2018, 03:16 PM (92 Views)
robunos
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
"In the autumn of 1912, following the crashes of a couple of monoplanes, the Royal Flying Corps brought into force the infamous 'Monoplane Ban'. Though it was rescinded some months later, the damage was done, and it would be over thirty years, before monoplanes entered widespread service with the RAF. But, what if the 'Monoplane Ban' never happened? What if monoplanes became established before the outbreak of the Great War?"

As it says above, this is the idea behind One Wing Monoplanes, to get an idea of what aircraft would have been like, had monoplanes been accepted sooner . . .
Of course, the real reason for doing this, is to build these models without having to mess with all those fiddly struts and things, especially with the older kits, which don't 'sef-jig' . . . :angry:
Another reason is to play with different colour schemes, such as modern schemes on Great War aircraft. I've not done any of these yet, but I've got some ideas. Another idea I've had is early equivalents of modern aircraft concepts, watch this space . . .
Anyway, here are a few of my current favourites.

A Hawker Fury,

Posted Image

A Sopwith Pup,

Posted Image

A Boeing Stearman trainer.

Posted Image

Bristol Fighter,

Posted Image

Originally, the idea was to only have low-wing aeroplanes, however some types don't look right with low wings, so now I allow mid and shoulder wings, as well, like this one.

Von Richthofen's Fokker Scout,

Posted Image

cratch-building and conversion is allowed, as well . . .
De Havilland DH.2,

Posted Image

So, here is a flavour of One Wing Biplanes. More will be added as things progress, and I'm already planning for the 'Whiff 7' GB next year . . . :grin:

cheers,
Robin.

Edited by robunos, Jul 6 2018, 12:57 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Cool idea.

Do you use the original lower wing, or do you use the upper wing in the lower position? I ask, because quite often, the upper wing has more area than the lower.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
:cool

robunos
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
@Devilfish . . .
It depends . . . you have to look at the kit and how it goes together, and photos and drawings of the aircraft, to see what effect looks best. in the examples above, the Pup just has the bottom wing, as per the instructions, with the strut holes filled. The Stearman also has the bottom wing. The top wing is longer, but there are no ailerons, so would have to be scribed in. The fuselage is curved, and the bottom wing is in one piece, so the centre section would need to be cut out, the top wing split in half, and glued to the bottom centre section. Some dry fitting showed that the bottom wing looked ok, so I went with that.
The Fury has the top wing simply cut in half, and glued to the fuselage sides. The Bristol Fighter is the same, but I used the top wing, because the strut holes are on the bottom, and I can get away without filling them . . . :whistle
With some models, no matter how you try, the wings from the kit just don't look right, and you have to use other ones. That's the case with the Fokker Scout. It started off as the Fokker Triplane, and the wings are just too small to look realistic, so I used Fokker D.VII wings, cut down to a suitable size. Also this model didn't look right as a low-winger, hence I built it with shoulder-mounted wings.
So to summarise, I have an idea of how I want the model to be, then I play with the parts until I get something that looks and works right . . . great fun!

cheers,
Robin.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
For some reason I can't see them.

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
Cimmerian
Jul 5 2018, 08:50 PM
For some reason I can't see them.
Nope, nor can I.

robunos
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
OK, chaps, I've edited my first post, try that . . .

cheers,
Robin

Simon G
Member Avatar
heavy weatherer
Ahh. . . That's better, very good.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I think these are the beez kneez Robin, what a fabulous idea and I'm now thinking a bi-plane MiG-21 with struts but no rigging.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
Much better now, interesting idea.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · What If · Next Topic »
Add Reply