Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
RAF Scampton Grand Slam Gate Guardian
Topic Started: Jul 18 2018, 03:08 PM (51 Views)
Johni044
Lt John "bullet" Irwing
Recently heard about this, thought I would share it as I believe some of the members are from around there.

https://www.raafansw.org.au/docPDF/Gate_Guard_bomb_was_live1958_Vintage_news_151106.pdf
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Lol Paul Ives at scampton
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Beaver
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
Oops!

Although a very powerful weapon, looking at a map I find it hard to believe the part about Lincoln Cathedral being flattened, had the bomb detonated at Scampton. A bit of dramatic licence perhaps?

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
the catherdral is too far away, although it is on the edge of a hill, the vibration may have broke a few of its windows
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
I had heard about this, but I thought it was the one that was there in the 70's. Glad it wasn't, because my parents have a photo of me stood next to it.....

Lincoln Cathedral is about 7 or 8 miles from us, so, if what they say about a 10 mile blast radius, it's possible that some damage could have been done to it.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Blimey, 10 miles radius. If exploded at Shoeburyness it would have decimated the AWRE there as well as most of the town so more likely in the North Sea/Thames Estuary off of Foulness island. The whole area was controlled by the military at the time and very secret squirrel.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Fun Stuff · Next Topic »
Add Reply