Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Challenger Tank Desert Colour?
Topic Started: Jul 27 2018, 06:47 PM (406 Views)
madon37s
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
Hi all, I'm after some help please on the desert colour on a British Challenger tank from the Gulf war! Please note I do not use Tamiya paints (I have never liked working with them) so I only use enamel paints mainly by Humbrol. My question is, which paint number would be closest to the light desert colour that is used on these tanks? Please no negative comments about why do I use this, or I should use the other manufacturers etc, I just want some advice on the best colour that would portray the desert colour the best. I have tried Humbrol colours 93 & 225 and they both seem too dark to me.

Many thanks for any help in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mac1677
Member Avatar
Lt Mac 'Shocker' McSheffrey
Hey buddy,
Have a look at this conversion chart, it may be of some use.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrol.htm

Edit, just added this video clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQsebV1pXA
Edited by mac1677, Jul 28 2018, 05:40 AM.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
Welcome to the forum, I'm not a model tank man but that conversion site is spot on
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

madon37s
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
Hi Mac & Mark,

Many thanks to you both for your replies. The conversion chart is very helpful thank you but what I am really after is people's own personal choice of what desert colour they use or the colour that they think is the right one for the British Challenger tank in the Gulf desert colour.

The video is interesting but as I don't use washes etc it was a bit lost on my i'm afraid. I use highlighting and weathering powders for weathering my tank models.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Hi mate,
I added the video clip because right at the beginning the chap shows you his choice of paint, and it looks spot on to me. Personally I use Xtracrylix XA1813 Brit Gulf Armour Lt Stone BS361, Hannants link.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Just done some more digging around, this is the Xtracolor (enamel, your chosen medium) X029 RAF Light Stone BS361, Link.

Hope this is of some help.
Edited by mac1677, Jul 28 2018, 07:37 AM.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Welcome mate, we don't fluff around here so you get direct answers to your questions which has already happened.

Not my scene but if you ever need advice on Russian, Chinese or Israeli aircraft I'm your man in enamels.

Beaver
Member Avatar
"BEAVER"
"Please no negative comments about why do I use this, or I should use the other manufacturers etc,"

I think you'll find we are a little different to some of the other modelling forums, so this shouldn't be an issue here.

Welcome aboard MMM!

:welcome:

madon37s
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
Cheers Mac, I don't suppose you would have a picture of an AFV in that colour that you could put on here for me would you mate?

Many thanks Olde Farte for your comments and I'll be sure to come to you when I build my next Israeli F-4 Phantom.

Nikon User, I'm very glad to hear it! I have had too many people in the past telling me my tank is the wrong shade of green and so on.... I'm sure you get the picture....
A rivet counter I ain't....

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
madon37s
Jul 28 2018, 10:53 AM

A rivet counter I ain't....
And you won't find any here so feel free to ask.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
you wont find any rivet counters on here, when we set this forum up it was in response to idiots in other forums being very annul, i remember 1 thread on another forum, about Azure Blue when ran on to about 30 pages with people arguing about the various shades

we pride ourselves in being the friendliest forum out there
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
I could name a few myself especially the ones I got kicked off.

mac1677
Member Avatar
madon37s
Jul 28 2018, 10:53 AM
Cheers Mac, I don't suppose you would have a picture of an AFV in that colour that you could put on here for me would you mate?
I haven't mate, but I could spray some on a scrap bit of plastic tomorrow. I will post some pics once done :grin:

madon37s
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
mac1677
Jul 28 2018, 06:46 PM
but I could spray some on a scrap bit of plastic tomorrow.

Cheers Mac that would be ace.

mac1677
Member Avatar
Here is an old Italeri 1/35 Crusader turret, I undercoated it in light grey primer then sprayed the Xtracrylix XA1813 Brit Gulf Armour Lt Stone BS361.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Armour · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: