Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Simple display bases
Topic Started: Mar 4 2012, 02:45 PM (301 Views)
benskipper
Member Avatar
LCDR Ben 'NITRO' Skipper
After much pillocking about I thought it time to actually do a couple of display bases for my completed efforts to stand upon during photography. So without further ado you will need the following:

A couple of old table mats
PVA Glue
Modelling Grass
Tarmacadam surface
Brown poster paint
Scissors
Hair spray

Runway:

Simple enough. Cover the topside (with the pattern) with PVA glue, place the sheet of Tarmacadam printed board on it, flip it UPSIDE down (To prevent wrinkles appearing during drying) on a clean surface, then place a heavyish book (put inside a plastic carrier bag to protect from any overspill of glue) and leave until glue drys, about 3 hours. Trim off excess and you have a modern platform upon which to photo your completed a/c's, cars etc upon.

Posted Image

Grass:

This time cover the top with a good thick layer of brown poster paint. Pour on the flocking and spread it about with a dry brush, look to build up a good few mills of thickness. Gently tap off any excess so you still have a good depth, then give it a good covering with hairspray (this fixes it in place). Again leave for a couple of hours, respray with hairspray and you've got a field on which to display a/c's, AFV etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hope this has helped...more to come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Lt Gen Mark 'Hawk Man' M
cracking this is getting pinned thanks

benskipper
Member Avatar
LCDR Ben 'NITRO' Skipper
I have my moments

Mark M
Member Avatar
Lt Gen Mark 'Hawk Man' M
with that ive unlocked your profile so you can put your piccy back

benskipper
Member Avatar
LCDR Ben 'NITRO' Skipper
You sir are as star and I take back all negative comments...look out for grovelogram type thing.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Lt Gen Mark 'Hawk Man' M
well ive had a go at a dirama with my 74sqn spitfire

Posted Image

what do you think

benskipper
Member Avatar
LCDR Ben 'NITRO' Skipper
Nicely done old bean...I'll soon have you all converted. I've not forgotten about the modern runway. What would be a help, if anyone can, is a photo of a modern RAF Pan/dispersal for the paint details please?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · How 2 Guides! · Next Topic »
Add Reply

In Association with
Photobucket