Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see new posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vallejo model air paint?; what do i need to know
Topic Started: Apr 19 2012, 09:00 AM (305 Views)
Mark M
Member Avatar
Lt Gen Mark 'Hawk Man' M
ok chaps ive just bought a set of model air paints (ww2 allied) and will get the german one after pay day

but ive never airbrushed them so what do i need to know

and

whats the difference between them and the normal Vallejo paints?

my local boyes has the full range of normal ones but only air ones in sets
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shaunb
Member Avatar
top banana
The model air are thinner than the normal ones as they are specifically for spraying. But you can 'touch up' small areas by brushing model air. But Im only talking about tiny chips etc etc.

I have used the normal ones in spraying as I just thinned them with water but I only do that if I havnt got the model air I need at the time.

I would get an airbrush cleaning solution if you havnt already got some as it will make it so easy to clean the brush.

Other than that theres no real special things about them.

I would leave them to dry over night as they get harder as the water evaporates so are less likely to scratch off.

They also dry 'touch dry' quite quick.

Mapo
Member Avatar
Lt. Pete 'Barracuda' Ashcroft
Pretty much everything you need to know Shaun's covered

i was surprised to see my local Modelzone now stocks the full range of Vallejo Model Air paints, good though as they are fantastic paints and very easy to use and clean up

Pete

shaunb
Member Avatar
top banana
Sadly our MZ in cambridge only seems to stock the normal vallejo and not the model air at the moment. I hope they do start soon as I dont like having to order them or waiting until I go to a show.

benskipper
Member Avatar
LCDR Ben 'NITRO' Skipper
Just to add my two pennies here, to aid hardening going over the sprayed area with a low speed heat via a hair dryer really does wonders for the model air range (any acyrlics really) as they are slow to harden , especially if applied in a cool environment.

aviationandy
Member Avatar
Wibble...
shaunb
Apr 20 2012, 06:22 AM
Sadly our MZ in cambridge only seems to stock the normal vallejo and not the model air at the moment. I hope they do start soon as I dont like having to order them or waiting until I go to a show.

Boyes in Lincoln have the full range. If you need any particular colours, I can purchase said paints & post them to you, as I will post paints on their own... :whistle :D

shaunb
Member Avatar
top banana
Cheers dude,

I will keep that in mind :cool

madmonk
Member Avatar
Lt Warren "Satan" Monks
The Boyes in Newark also carry the ModelAir range both in sets and individually. They also stock Vallejo airbrush cleaner which is good stuff too.

shaunb
Member Avatar
top banana
That is good stuff

Its also good for reviving paint brushes that have been used for acrylics.

Mark M
Member Avatar
Lt Gen Mark 'Hawk Man' M
cool newarks not that far

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
aviationandy
Apr 20 2012, 05:53 PM
Boyes in Lincoln have the full range. If you need any particular colours, I can purchase said paints & post them to you, as I will post paints on their own... :whistle :D

Unfortunately Andy, they don't carry the full range of ModelAir, but a decent selection. I have noticed several omissions. Always the ones I want!!

Their rack is a mix of Air and normal paints, so care has to be taken when you pick one up that it is what you are after. That said, they do do a few sets of paints in both ranges including WW2 german and WW2 allied.

Of course you have to figure out if they mean WW2 aircraft or armour.....

aviationandy
Member Avatar
Wibble...
I never noticed to be honest DF... :whistle :dead

Thanks for pointing that out, I will look more closely next time... :)

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Sky was the most recent omission that comes to mind, but they do have it in their standard range, so I got that and will thin it myself.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tools · Next Topic »
Add Reply

In Association with
Photobucket