Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mig-29 off; Aacademy Vs Great wall
Topic Started: Jun 22 2013, 08:11 AM (887 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

I thought I would do another price/quality comparison between 2 of my favorite kits.

Academy and Great wall Mig-29A's

Once again this is a value for money comparison and not an accuracy exercise as I am far from an expert on the type. Its down to the individual to say if they think its accurate.

Firstly we have the price

These were the cheapest I could find at time of posting.

Academy - £13 from Korea including postage Here

Great wall - £45 from china including postage

So there is a huge price difference between the two.

Heres the boxes,

These are both equally eye catching so nothing really between them

Posted Image

Moving onto the parts,

The first and main difference between the two is the surface detail. The academy is nice but rather underwhelming compared to the Great wall kit. There are some similarities but the GW one looks a lot nicer.

I have placed the Academy front fuselage over the GW on to dispel any rumors that the academy one is the wrong shape. You can see from this that it is the same as the GW effort.

Posted Image

here you can see the detail lacking in the academy kit's cockpit area against the GW one but I will get to that shortly.

Posted Image

Again, the shape comparison is good between the pair so no real differences there other than the surface detailing.

Posted Image

But they both seem to have all the same lumps and bumps in the same places

Posted Image

Now we move onto one of the main differences between the two kits that will explain the prices.

The engines on the GW kit are mind blowing where as the ones on the Academy are pretty much non there. All you get in the academy is some cans and thats about it. The GW kit even has ways to display them as the covers come off (Im not sure if these are meant to be open) and theres a stand for them.

Posted Image

Heres the academy cans

Posted Image

The shape comparison continues with the tails. Once again when placed over each other there is no real difference apart from the GW tail tips seem to be at a slightly greater angle.

Posted Image

Here you can see that the academy kit dosnt have separate control surfaces which isnt a major problem

Posted Image

Moving onto the center line tanks, here is the academy example

Posted Image

The great wall one is much more detailed

Posted Image

You can see here that the academy wings have hardly any surface detail compared to the GW kit but again this isnt really a bad point.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now onto the other sticking point - the cockpits.

The academy one is very basic but usable and as the kit is so cheap adding an aires cockpit at around £10 wont break the bank. Theres also neomega offerings which are good if not better than the aires.

Posted Image

Just the side walls on the GW cockpit blows the academy out the water. So for the price of the GW kit its getting wroth while for the amount of detail you get.

Posted Image

So I will sum up these two kits by saying they both have there good points.

Is the GW kit worth the extra cash - Yes I would say it is

But on that note I would also say that there is bugger all wrong with the academy kit for the price. Mainly because £13 for a kit that originally cost around £30-40 years ago isnt at all bad. It is still up there with some of todays re boxings and at that price you don't mind bunging in some AM stuff.

Even if you added an Aires tub and some brass/decals it still wont be as expensive as the GW kit which leaves loads of scope for detailing. Yet it is still a nice cheap kit SOTB for the average builder.

If you prefer the detail to come SOTB the your option will have to be the GW kit. Just the engines and the cockpit are worth the extra cash but again, the same reuslts are achievable with the academy and some AM gubbins.

I hope this helps a bit when choosing a mig-29 kit.

Both are good in there own ways and with the new GW 9-13 hump back kit now out (only achievable on an academy kit with a neomega conversion) it seems to be getting better. So at the time of posting youve got a good choice for an 'A' but only one choice for a 9-13 or 'UB' (twinstick).
Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Thanks for the comparison Shaun. When you think about the Academy it does give you most of what is needed and it was good enough for Eduard to issue it with extras.

Now the 9-13 is out perhaps we will see the navy carrier borne version, nobody has done this important aircraft yet so desperately needed.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

It does seem that Russian types are finally being well represented in the modelling world and more so in 1/48 & 1/32.

With these new GW mig-29's and the eduard/trumpeter Mig-21 series (soon to be a UB as well :D ) and the trumpy mig-23 series we are well away.

The intoruction of kittyhawks Mig-25 and SU-22 will be a very nice adition :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Mosquito
Member Avatar
Kit reviewer
This is a great comparison mate and thanks for taking the time to do it. You've certainly demonstrated that at the price the Academy kit is, you can easily get after market stuff to replace some of the interior stuff etc.

But I picked up on something you noted which is more important to me than the internal stuff, the panel lines.

I know a modeller can spend hours on end re scribing kits, but that's not for me, so having a kit with nicely detailed and recessed panel lines is a great plus.

If you were someone who wanted to make up loads of Mig 29's to show off various paint schemes then surely the Academy boxing is the one (as you have clearly demonstrated that there really aren't any shape issues).

But a one off build, for me, would have to be the GW boxing. And having said that, I have the Academy boxing upstairs. :blink: :lol:

Just out of interest mate, how many different decal options are there for each?

Thanks again Shaun. :cool

Deleted User
Deleted User

If you mean whats in the box there is 2 in the GW offering and I think one in the Academy kit.

But if you mean whats out there then there is hundreds of schemes.

Ive got decals from Aztec which do all the cuban variants also Ive got hungarian decals which has some of the display schemes.

Heres just a taster whats about for them including detail sets and decals.

Ive got This set as well as These which has both single and twin stick variants on it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mosquito
Member Avatar
Kit reviewer
Sorry, I meant the deacals within the box mate. :cool

aviationandy
Member Avatar
Wibble...
What a good idea to do this, so we can see which kit best suits are wants from a kit.

I have the Academy version in the stash, but I didnt pay a lot for it, as I got it second hand, & I do have some very nice decals for it as well, thanks to Shaun.

I have only recently been converted to Russian aircraft, by the aforementioned Shaun, so I think I will tackle my 29 first, before even entertaining the Eduard Su27ub... :wub:

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
It is a nice kit and I'm sure you have seen my Slovak Digital camo one elsewhere on this forum.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Kit Comparisons · Next Topic »
Add Reply