Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Force Awakens; Discussion thread - don't open if you've not seen the film.
Topic Started: Dec 25 2015, 11:30 AM (327 Views)
DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
ADVANCE WARNING: For Discussion of the Film - for those who have already seen it. Do not read lower if you don't want to spoil it for yourself!!

So - Verdict anyone?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
I liked it. Not the sort of person who goes to a film and picks it apart. All I'll say is that a directors cut is definitely needed when it comes to dvd.

smeds
Airbrush master
My view is that, seen this before. X Wings flying down a trench attempting to destroy the Death Star, here they are doing the same thing but this time its to destroy a planet.

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Not too worried about that, but what does get me is, this "weapon" completely depletes a star to get its energy. They fired it once, so one star dead. How many stars are that close to it? It's a planet, so it's not like they can move it.....
Oh, and what happens to a dead star? Black hole.....

DLG Dave
Lt Dave 'Wraith' Carter
I don't think anything comes as a coincidence with JJ Abrams so there are some things which are not quite hidden in plain sight.

'Rey' obviously has Jedi blood - and when Leia settles down with Han Solo for a chat, she asks 'tell me about her' and then we snip away from the scene. Plus we had the flashback of her being torn from a previous home so I'm guessing she's the twin sister of Kylo Ren or daughter of Luke Skywalker. We'll see....

A famous sword is passed on by the Lady [by] the Lake and Mordred fumes volcanically at his father. Then we have a very brief search for the Holy Grail. Arguably the best outing Chewbacca has had in any of the films. But those tentacle creatures which chase all and sundry around the spaceship look very similar to a couple of the animated monsters that Terry Gilliam used to draw for Monty Python. Like I said earlier, I don't think it's a coincidence.

I suppose it's a wee bit irritating it's not a great deal more than a remake of the original film - just a really big Death Star this time - but maybe it was the best way to re-format the films back into their origins and forget those 'other' films that we don't really need to mention any more.

Other than the AT-AT that Rey lives in, I managed to spot a pair of AT-ATs on patrol later in the film. Anyone else spot them?

FTS
Member Avatar
Lt. Steve 'Gun Show' Harrison-Green
Plans in a droid, a child left on a desert planet, planet blown up by a giant ball, x-wings flying down trenches to destroy the weapon that is minutes from destroying their base, people dying and falling down a massive hole (cause everything happens over a massive hole)....wait a minute! :laugh:

Seriously though I loved it. I went to see it at midnight for the first showings and it was by far the best cinema experience i've had so far. It wasn't perfect, i'd give it 8.5/10 but IMO it is a great film.

I'd encourage you to watch some of the discussion videos on Youtube such as these two;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoTyNikmZc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUlAvEHa9D8
Edited by FTS, Dec 26 2015, 12:39 PM.

mrvr6
Lt. john 'Buzz Kill' burton
DevilFish
Dec 26 2015, 12:41 AM
Not too worried about that, but what does get me is, this "weapon" completely depletes a star to get its energy. They fired it once, so one star dead. How many stars are that close to it? It's a planet, so it's not like they can move it.....
Oh, and what happens to a dead star? Black hole.....
not all stars become black holes fella :)

i liked the film apart a few minor issues
1 the main lead overacted a bit
2 the main bad guy was weak as hell in a fight!
3 it was basically a straight remake of ep 4!

whats the betting she is rens sister?

FTS
Member Avatar
Lt. Steve 'Gun Show' Harrison-Green
mrvr6
Dec 26 2015, 12:49 PM
whats the betting she is rens sister?
Hans made a quote in the film that proves she is not when he spoke to Leia, "I lost both of you", i.e Leia and Ben. He would have mentioned Rey is she was his.

My view is she is Lukes daughter and after the Knights of Ren turned Luke went into hiding, used some force ability to wipe Reys mind and left her on Jaku. Prior to that she had been undergoing training by Luke and when she touched the light saber it started to come back. That explains her abilities to use the force to get Daniel Craig to release her, her ability to get into Kilo Rens head, her ability to fight him, etc.
Edited by FTS, Dec 26 2015, 01:03 PM.

Cimmerian
Member Avatar
Lt. Ken 'Albatros' Jeffrey
Just got home from seeing it.

I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, it had a lot of similarities to a New Hope but as that is one of my favorite films I don't mind at all.

madnursegaz
resin fondler
It also appears that Jar Jar Binks must have died childless!

BiggYinn
Member Avatar
Plastic fiddler
Loved the movie the only fossil i mean problem was harrison ford ... anyway just my 2 cents worth

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Fun Stuff · Next Topic »
Add Reply