Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1/400 Typhoon Class Soviet Submarine; Kit No. 01538
Topic Started: Mar 5 2016, 08:27 AM (358 Views)
jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
Posted Image

The Project 941 or Akula, Russian "Акула" ("Shark") class submarine (NATO reporting name: Typhoon) is a type of nuclear-poweredballistic missile submarinedeployed by the Soviet Navy in the 1980s. With a submergeddisplacement of 48,000 tonnes, the Typhoons are the largest class of submarine ever built, large enough to accommodate decent living facilities for the crew when submerged for months on end. The source of the NATO reporting name remains unclear, although it is often claimed to be related to the use of the word "typhoon" ("тайфун") by Leonid Brezhnev in a 1974 speech while describing a new type of nuclear ballistic missile submarine, as a reaction to the US Navy Ohio-class submarines.

The Russian Navy canceled its Typhoon modernization program in March 2012, stating that modernizing one Typhoon would be as expensive as building two new Borei-class submarines. With the announcement that Russia has eliminated the last SS-N-20 Sturgeon SLBMs in September 2012, the remaining Typhoons have reached the end of service.

This a re-release of a kit first done in 1989 and is done in black plastic.

Hull top and bottom parts.

Posted Image

Sprue contain the rest of the parts.

Posted Image

Close ups of the detail including the 'tile effect' for the surface. Some will like it but in this scale I feel the lines are a little to deep.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Instructions are in Revell's now standard colour format which I really like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Colour sheet and the decals, which are very well done.

Posted Image

While this is a very well done example of the worlds largest submarine it does have a bit of a problem.

This is the rear end as depicted in the kit.

Posted Image

This is the real thing. As you can see the propellor arrangement lacks the circular housing and the bottom rudder should be set much further back.

Posted Image

This has been attributed to the fact that when the kit was being designed they did know what it looked like under the surface and so produced a best guess. However, aside from that this is a well detailed kit and I have seen lovely examples built and along with the Revell 1/400 USS Dallas will give you the two main protaganists of the Hunt for Red October.

Oh, and did I say it was big?

Posted Image

Recommended.

Many thanks to Revell for the review sample.

Posted Image

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers.
For details visit ;

Revell Website

Revell Facebook
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Another nice review and thanks for pointing out the errors. Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.

jacksdad64
Member Avatar
Tornado geek
Olde Farte
Mar 5 2016, 11:15 AM
Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.
:ninja: if I told you I would have to kill you.

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
jacksdad64
Mar 5 2016, 11:26 AM
Olde Farte
Mar 5 2016, 11:15 AM
Do these photos mean that you are a spy by trade.
:ninja: if I told you I would have to kill you.

Sorry Sir, Mr nice man etc.

Jonesy113
Member Avatar
Nick 'Token' Jones
A very intriguing kit - great research too :grin:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Revell Kit Reviews · Next Topic »
Add Reply