Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

CLICK HERE to see posts in last 24 hours

Welcome to Mainly Military modelling. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
???? about the best 1/72 scale Harrier FRS.1 kit?
Topic Started: Jun 15 2016, 12:45 AM (366 Views)
RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Patrolling the MMM frontier
For all the august members of this board, which 1/72 scale Sea Harrier FRS.1 kit is best in accuracy & assembly?

Thanks!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mark M
Member Avatar
Hawk T1
the airfix one is pretty good, ive built it once and i had no bother

DevilFish
Member Avatar
LCDR Paul "Voodoo" Carter
Sorry, but for my money, the Esci/Italeri one can't be beat!

Olde Farte
Member Avatar
Lt. Derek 'Smurfy' Reeve
Sorry RJ I cannot help as I've only ever built 48th versions.

Disorder
Member Avatar
Lt Paddy 'Chancer' Boyle
RJ, I've also built the Esci one and can highly recommend it. Although the decals were naff.

RJ Tucker
Member Avatar
Patrolling the MMM frontier
Thanks guys; the ESCI kit for me! Good to know the Italeri kit is from the ESCI molds; that should simplify the search.

:cool

Grayhawk
Member Avatar
Doug Summers
For what it's worth: I've built and or owned about every Harrier kit in 72nd ever made including an Airfix bag kit of the prototype and all have their good point and issues. The first Sea Harrier I built is one I can truly say was a labor of love as I love the FRS.1 Sea Harrier. I built one as soon as I got the kit - the MATCHBOX KIT!!! This was a labor of love due to the fact that the Matchbox kit was - uh, well, not so good. I kit-bashed a really nice Sea Harrier using the following:

Matchbox - Fuselage, Nose, Pitot and Canopy
Hasegawa - Wings, Intakes, Nozzles, Weapons Pylons, Drop Tanks and Landing Gear
Airfix - Tailplanes
Monogram - AIM-9L Sidewinders and Pylons
Scratch-built - Seat, Cockpit, Gear Wells and lots of other stuff!

As is said, a labor of love. I might also mention that I finished it in 2 weeks about 3 months after the War in the Falklands ended. It was paired with an Argentine A-4P that I built while I was cobbling the FRS.1 together. Neither was perfect but both looked the part of Falkland's Warriors. I hope this inspires you to build and Airfix as it is a truly beautiful kit and has all of the best detail and design work of a new Airfix kit and at a great price. Cheers from this side of the pond.

peebeep
Member Avatar
resin fondler
ESCI plus Modeldecals, or nick the decals from an Airfix FRS.1. Both the Airfix Sea Harriers have flaws, a bit of a missed opportunity to be honest. The Italeri FRS.1 is plentiful, it shouldn't be difficult to find one.

peebeep

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Cold War Aircraft · Next Topic »
Add Reply