Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to MONSTERLAND FORUMS! We are a casual and friendly online community of movie fans who like to talk about giant monsters, horror and sci-fi in cinema, on television and on Blu Ray/DVD. There are forums for sports, casual chat and video games as well. For those of you who like making art, writing stories and creating videos, our community includes a forum for these submissions as well. Check out our main index page and other board forums! Anyone is welcome to join our community!

MONSTERLAND FORUMS was created on January 29, 2006 for the purpose of giving fans of giant monster films and other sci-fi/horror movies a friendly online meeting place to discuss all of their favorite films and other things of interest like video gaming and sports.

MONSTERLAND FORUMS has 298 members and over 168,000 posts. This online community is Zetaboards' fourth most active online community in the "Movies" category(among over 300 message boards).

Fall is here!

Our online community isn't the largest on the web but I think it's the best group with which to discuss all the movies we love to watch and also talk about other shared interests! For those of you checking out this message board for the first time give our forums a look: I think you'll like what you see!

GODZILLA(2014), produced by Legendary Pictures and directed by Gareth Edwards, has generated over $500 million in worldwide box office receipts and will release to Blu Ray/DVD on September 26th(2014)!

-Lee "Packmule" Merritt
site founder

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991); Discuss the film here.
Topic Started: Feb 8 2006, 09:58 AM (6,227 Views)
packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Two years after Godzilla Vs Biollante, a film based on a fan-suggested story, Toho released Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991), in which the monster king fights a more recognizable enemy from the Godzilla film archives. Thumbs up: 1. the Godzilla design-no-nonsense and powerful 2. the sound effects(seems his footsteps are more audible to me in this movie) 3. the special effects overall, which are, IMO, stellar Thumbs down: 1. the time travel plot, and the ridiculous contrivance that allows a "2nd" Godzilla to appear 2. the Futurians-not so much their characters but their outfits, which looked worse than any off the rack attire I've ever seen tongue-1 Post your thoughts and opinions about this film here. :)

The time travel plot of Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991) has created some confusion among kaiju fans. To clarify misconceptions and other possible misinterpretations about the storyline of this film and how it fits into the overall timeline of events occurring throughout the "Heisei" Godzilla films(made between 1984-1995) click the link to see Sci-Fi Japan's detailed article about this: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007/08/16/godzilla-vs-king-ghidorah-time-travel-and-the-origins-of-godzilla/

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen
Freddy Vs Jason(2003) - trailer

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Legionmaster
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Eh, the suits were nice, and MKG was cool, but that's about it. Oh, and Ifukube's score was awesome.
Posted Image

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
Monster Land's Private Ninja
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This is my fav Heisei movie, you got probably the best Godzilla suit with the best roar AND you got King Ghidorah :D The time traveling does throw a major monkey wrench into things though. But I can watch this an endless amount of times before I get tried of watching it.
Posted Image

Playstation ID: JerseyGentleman

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Feb 24 2006, 06:10 AM
This is my fav Heisei movie, you got probably the best Godzilla suit with the best roar AND you got King Ghidorah :D  The time traveling does throw a major monkey wrench into things though. But I can watch this an endless amount of times before I get tried of watching it.

The Godzilla suit was indeed stellar in this entry. He is a massive, barrel-chested, lumbering, virtually unstoppable juggernaut. I like the attention paid to the audio of Godzilla's footsteps, a loud, echoing thoom, which one would expect from a creature over 300 feet tall and weighing tens of thousands of tons. Makes me wonder why they didn't amplify his footstep "effects" in the other movies... crazy

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

SparkieGojira
Community member
[ * ]
I have a real soft spot for this movie. It was the first G movie I got to see in Japan in trully grand style on the big screen, at the premier at the TIFF (In it's first year I do believe.).

And then in the weeks surrounding it's "road show" premeir in Decemeber, I was treated to the sort of ballyhoo virtually unknown in the US for a movie these days. At the time I was attending LIC, a language school in Shibuya (take a right at that 109 building Gyaos blew up in G3 and walk a few more blocks!). My path to school from Shibuya station had a plethora of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah promotions! For a few fantastic weeks, I could not walk to or from school without encountering one or two Godzilla attraction suits. A statue of Minira and a huge sculpture of G 84, apparently bursting out of a giant crate, adorned the front of a Shibuya bank. The WAVE BAR next to the WAVE record shop was temporarly turned into the GODZILLA BAR with special cocktales called the GOJIRA and KING GHIDORAH while the walls were covered with projected slides of G84 images. And atop the record store nect door was the G84 Cybot!

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I erally enjoy this film. I really can't add anything more that's already been offered for the positives of the film. Sure, the time travel bit might be a small weak-point in the film, but somehow, this all works for me. I've often been told I see a lot of films through rose-colored glasses and this may be true, but I find this to be a highly enjoyable effort. :)
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Feb 24 2006, 06:10 AM
The time traveling does throw a major monkey wrench into things though.

My only real complaint about this film. IMO time-travelling storylines in movies can really breakdown and leave a lot of loose ends. In this movie I often wondered about "Emi's" true allegiances. Of course in the movie once she learns of her boss's true intent she kicks it into gear, to help save Japan. I just cannot for the life of me shake the feeling(while watching this movie) that she was a major reason that the Futurian's plan almost worked. eyebrow
Also, the contrivance employed in the film's story to resurrect Godzilla was a little too neat and tidy for me. Not saying this film crossed the line in terms of passable believability, but it skirted that line for me, that's for sure. :unsure:

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991) is now available on Region 3 DVD/NTSC and includes english subtitles. You can buy it at DDDHouse.com for $5.13. The link: Godzilla Vs KG DVD info

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know what some of my first purchases are going to be, after the holidays! I want every one of these R3 discs you've been alerting us to! Mr Green
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"KaijuFanatic"

I want every one of these R3 discs you've been alerting us to!
Understandable. Mr Green
I am getting this one and other Reg 3's from DDDHouse.com and eThaiCD.com to replace either: full-framed/poorly dubbed copies of the same movie, or to replace "DVD-R's" faster <!--emo&shifty eyes-->Posted Image<!--endemo-->

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

am getting this one and other Reg 3's from DDDHouse.com and eThaiCD.com to replace either: full-framed/poorly dubbed copies of the same movie, or to replace "DVD-R's"

I'm wanting to replace the discs I have for the same exact reasons. What sometimes amazes me is seeing one of these film in it's original Japanese language.....can be the difference between night and day, compared to the R1 releases! freak out
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KaijuFanatic"

What sometimes amazes me is seeing one of these films in it's original Japanese language.....can be the difference between night and day
Which is why I have always preferred watching all kaiju films(Toho, Daiei, or any other studio) films in their original language, with subtitles if possible. I believe there are, to be sure, many english 'dubs" of these movies that are quite decent, and of course their are those that leave much to be desired. I have spent a lot of hard-earned $ on a pair of nice TVs and on several DVD players, one with enhanced stereo capability, so you better believe I am always going to invest in letterboxed(2.35:1) or widescreen(1.85:1) formatted films, and in their original language, with english subtitles...or not. faster <!--emo&shifty eyes-->Posted Image<!--endemo-->

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Which is why I have always preferred watching all kaiju films(Toho, Daiei, or any other studio) films in their original language, with subtitles if possible.

I think original language/subtitles are a lot like the fullscreen/widescreen debate, with some people. Many people amaze me, as they asbolutely refuse to watch anything, widescreen, as they hate the 'black bars' and the same can be said for some folks when they have the option to view a film in an original language, they'd rather not bother with reading subtitles! freak out I don't have any fancy TV....I really would love a widescreen HDTV and my surround sound system isn't anything to write home about, but it gets the job done, but still, I prefer original language over dubs any day of the week. thumbs up Mr Green
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"KaijuFanatic"

Many people amaze me, as they asbolutely refuse to watch anything, widescreen, as they hate the 'black bars'
Indeed. I have had a couple of friends who I have given DVDs to at Christmas complain that these DVDs show the film in widescreen format... freak out When I informed them that the widescreen format was what I intended to get them all along I got puzzled looks. I have always been perplexed as to how so many people still fail to grasp what they are seeing when they watch a movie on DVD(or on TV) in letterbox or widescreen format, which is the true theatrical representation of the film, and NOT the "full screen", a term I think can throw many individuals off as to what they are going to see, which is a cropped and scaled down version of the film's original print, with much of the print's edges gone! freak out

I watched the Region 3(Universe Laser) DVD of Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991) last night. Observations: the DVD cover art was serviceable, though not anything I would call original or particularly eye-catching. The DVD includes chapter stops(with corresponding screen shots for each chapter, and a language option. When you opt for the English subtitle option, Kimi, you get both the Chinese and English subtitles below the widescreen image, slightly annoying, but something I can easily live with. The audio sounded pretty good, and the overall print quality of this DVD seemed good. For just over $5 I am completely satisfied with this DVD and pleased to watch this film(finally) in widescreen format and in original Japanese language. A definite upgrade from the pan'n'scanned Reg 1 copy(Sony/TriStar) I have of this film, part of a double feature with "Godzilla Vs Mothra(1992)". faster <!--emo&shifty eyes-->Posted Image<!--endemo-->

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

When you opt for the English subtitle option, Kimi, you get both the Chinese and English subtitles below the widescreen image, slightly annoying, but something I can easily live with.

Wow! I've never seen this done, before. Glad to hear you're pleased with the purchase, Lee. thumbs up
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
As I have touched on before, I was not enamored with the time travel plot of Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991). In fact, this is perhaps the only "Godzilla" film I watch solely for the special effects, which are IMO marvelous in this film. I have always preferred Godzilla's deeper, more menacing roar(like the one in this movie or in Gojira(1954), and I also liked the sound effects of Godzilla's footsteps, very realistic when you consider we're talking about a monster that is 100 meters tall(333 feet) and in excess of 50,000 tons, which is about the same weight of a fully loaded WWII light-aircraft carrier. freak out

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

I watch solely for the special effects, which are IMO marvelous in this film. I have always preferred Godzilla's deeper, more menacing roar(like the one in this movie or in Gojira(1954), and I also liked the sound effects of Godzilla's footsteps, very realistic when you consider we're talking about a monster that is 100 meters tall(333 feet) and in excess of 50,000 tons

The special effects for this film are outstanding and I agree, I think when Godzilla is stomping around, everything should shake and rattle! Do you feel this film offers the best special effects or is there another that matches or betters the efforts from this film?
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"KaijuFanatic"

Do you feel this film offers the best special effects or is there another that matches or betters the efforts from this film?
While I admire the special effects for Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991), I still believe that, all things considered, the effects for Mothra Vs Godzilla(1964) are still, IMO, the best overall. The wireworks for "Mothra" in this 1964 film were nothing short of remarkable, the wireworks techs of Toho making the creation come alive on screen, and with nary a wire in sight. The high-speed filming was very effective in this movie, as well as the Mothra larvas and their movements. There are flaws obviously but for the time, 1964, when budgets were generally smaller, and in the absence of CGI, I believe the special effects in Mothra Vs Godzilla were marvelous. Another "Godzilla" film I believe has some great, and often spectacular, special effects: Godzilla, Mothra And King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack(2001)(sometimes referred to on kaiju boards as "GMK"). What impressed me the most about GMK was the fluid movements of the adult Mothra, the pyrotechnics, which looked much more realistic to me, and certain effects scenes in this 2001 film, which were really, really good. The transformation scene where KG morphs from adolescent to adult is marvelous. Regarding special effects, here are my top five(5) "Godzilla" movies:

1. Mothra Vs Godzilla(1964)
2. Godzilla, Mothra And King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack(2001)
3. Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991)
4. Invasion Of The Astro-Monsters(1965)
5. Godzilla 2000 Millenium(1999)
Honorable mention:
Godzilla Vs Biollante(1989)

To be honest Kimi some of the best special effects I have seen in Toho films were not even in "Godzilla" films. Examples:

Gorath(1962)-some of the best miniature effects IMO Toho did during the '50s and '60s
Mothra(1961)-still I think the overall best special effects of any classic Toho kaiju film, along with Mothra Vs Godzilla(1964)

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Click the link to hear the Godzilla March theme from 1991's Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah:

http://h1.ripway.com/jackass84/01-godzilla...92_lame_cbr.mp3

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Mar 31 2007, 07:44 AM
Click the link to hear the Godzilla March theme from 1991's Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah:

Sweet Music to my ears :D Makes me almost want to break out the Godzilla Dvds ;)
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Trentonfella"

Makes me almost want to break out the Godzilla Dvds
Almost? ... maybe I should post some video files, or maybe send you, in the mail, a beer mug with a Godzilla logo on it. Would that make you want to break out a "G" disc? Come to think of it...I wouldn't mind having an image of Godzilla on a beer mug for myself either. tongue-1

Note: Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991) is available on Region 3 DVD(Universe Laser)(in widescreen and with eng subtitles) from DDDHouse.com
If you ever have some $ to burn, say about $70-80, you might want to consider investing in a multi-region or region-free DVD player. You can shop for one online. I bought a Yamakawa about two years ago(online) and paid, including shipping, about $75 for it. I use it often. It plays region 1-8 DVDs and also plays both NTSC and PAL DVD formats.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

Ro-Dan
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Apr 1 2007, 09:26 PM
packmule
Mar 31 2007, 07:44 AM

Sweet Music to my ears :D Makes me almost want to break out the Godzilla Dvds ;)

That's nothing short of a miracle considering you've been going through a "Godzilla burnout" phase.
Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!
Be my friend on Facebook!

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 2 2007, 04:46 AM
Almost? ... maybe I should post some video files, or maybe send you, in the mail, a beer mug with a Godzilla logo on it. Would that make you want to break out a "G" disc? Come to think of it...I wouldn't mind having an image of Godzilla on a beer mug for myself either. tongue-1

Note: Godzilla Vs King Ghidorah(1991) is available on Region 3 DVD(Universe Laser)(in widescreen and with eng subtitles) from DDDHouse.com
If you ever have some $ to burn, say about $70-80, you might want to consider investing in a multi-region or region-free DVD player. You can shop for one online. I bought a Yamakawa about two years ago(online) and paid, including shipping, about $75 for it. I use it often. It plays region 1-8 DVDs and also plays both NTSC and PAL DVD formats.

lol a beer mug with a Godzilla Logo...hmmm that would be a nice to add...have a beer mug collection...Godzilla and the Dallas Cowboys...what a pair :D But most of my DVDs are packed away as of right now (along with my Godzilla dvds)...we're getting ready to put the house on the market so we're packing a lot of things up for the big move.

As for the all region DVD players...I'm waiting until either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD becomes a standard and then just do a total upgrade.
Posted Image

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ro-Dan
Apr 2 2007, 07:14 AM

That's nothing short of a miracle considering you've been going through a "Godzilla burnout" phase.

lol I know, that phase might be ending though...maybe by the end of summer I'll be back in love with the Godzilla universe ;)
Posted Image

Ro-Dan
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
Bro, this might help: GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN is now available on DVD at Best Buy. I just got mine today for $14.99. ;)
Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Trentonfella"

As for the all region DVD players...I'm waiting until either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD becomes a standard and then just do a total upgrade
I understand. I have seen a great deal of discussion and argumentation about which standard will win out, with most posting that Blu-Ray will eventually be the winner. As to why...I have no idea. confused

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

Ro-Dan
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
I think it'll be Blu-Ray. A good reason that it will win is the fact that Playstation 3 is also a Blu-Ray player.
Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ro-Dan
Apr 3 2007, 07:30 AM
I think it'll be Blu-Ray. A good reason that it will win is the fact that Playstation 3 is also a Blu-Ray player.

I see. Do Blu-Ray DVD players play regular DVDs as well? eyebrow

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ro-Dan
Apr 3 2007, 06:30 AM

Well the XBox 360 has HD-DVD support too and probably has more numbers than the PS3 as far as console sold go. So I don't know if that's enough but I think Blu-Ray has most of the movie companies behind it...don't quote me on that...I haven't really paid enough attention to the 2 sides lately (I do know one has mostly movie companies backing it and the other has mostly tech companies backing it).
Posted Image

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 3 2007, 03:51 PM

I see. Do Blu-Ray DVD players play regular DVDs as well? eyebrow

Yea both formats are backwards compatible and I think they actually improve the old DVD quality too
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Heisei Godzilla Films 1984-1995 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Packmule's Pen

Theme Godzillica Created by .Xynic. exclusively for Monsterland Forums
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved