Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to MONSTERLAND FORUMS! We are a casual and friendly online community of movie fans who like to talk about giant monsters, horror and sci-fi in cinema, on television and on Blu Ray/DVD. There are forums for sports, casual chat and video games as well. For those of you who like making art, writing stories and creating videos, our community includes a forum for these submissions as well. Check out our main index page and other board forums! Anyone is welcome to join our community!

MONSTERLAND FORUMS was created on January 29, 2006 for the purpose of giving fans of giant monster films and other sci-fi/horror movies a friendly online meeting place to discuss all of their favorite films and other things of interest like video gaming and sports.

MONSTERLAND FORUMS has 297 members and over 165,000 posts. This online community is Zetaboards' fourth most active online community in the "Movies" category(among over 300 message boards).

Summer is here! I would like to wish our online community a safe summer!

Our online community isn't the largest on the web but I think it's the best group with which to discuss all the movies we love to watch and also talk about other shared interests! For those of you checking out this message board for the first time give our forums a look: I think you'll like what you see!

GODZILLA(2014), produced by Legendary Pictures and directed by Gareth Edwards, opens in theaters in May, 2014 as the king of monsters returns to the big screen!

-Lee "Packmule" Merritt
site founder

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Godzilla Vs The Cosmic Monster(1974); Discuss the film here.
Topic Started: Apr 16 2006, 09:11 AM (6,509 Views)
packmule
Member Avatar
USNS Seaview...arriving!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
G2Kmaster
May 24 2009, 07:41 PM
I see you like the vid I posted...
heyo

You posted it earlier?

Posted Image
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea(1964-1968) on ABC
Packmule's Pen

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
Head Onmyoji of Monsterland Forums
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I posted it on kaiju galaxy and on here in the official youtube thread ;)
Posted Image
At the end of a 10 year wait, look in the box below.

wendybrad
Member Avatar
Community advanced member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I just saw this movie and i have to say that it was one of the best godzilla movies i've seen in a while!
I normally don't like Mechagodzilla, but i think he was great as a Villain. He had lots of cool Weapons and Gadgets which made the fight scene's very exciting. And i agree with Packmule that the Aliens were villainous and easy to hate.

I can't wait to watch "Terror of Mechagodzilla"! I'm going to watch it tonight.

A solid 9/10 for "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla I".

PS: It was also cool how King Caesar could deflect Mechagodzilla's energy beam and deflect it back at him.

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
This is such a sweet@$$ movie. I love it to death and watch it probably more than most.
I actually have a VHS with the name "Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster" on it. As well as several others on VHS under Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla... then of course the DVD of it.

Just a great movie... kick butt end battle (Though Godzilla's run in ToMG is pretty damn impressive too!).

Cya
G7
Manda morphed onto actually Ogasawara Island photo
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
USNS Seaview...arriving!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sound familiar?

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Sounds very familiar.
I actually liked this score a lot.

G7
Posted Image

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Guardian7
Jan 9 2010, 04:31 AM
This is such a sweet@$$ movie. I love it to death and watch it probably more than most.
I actually have a VHS with the name "Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster" on it. As well as several others on VHS under Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla... then of course the DVD of it.

Just a great movie... kick butt end battle (Though Godzilla's run in ToMG is pretty damn impressive too!).

Cya
G7
Do these copies with the cover utilizing the "Cosmic Monster" title have the "cosmic monster" version of the film?
Posted Image

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Mine says Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster in the opening instead of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.
Is it a different version? I have never watched it because I have it on several other VHSs and the DVD.
Posted Image

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's diffrent only because of the title card. If the title card of your version indeed says "Cosmic Monster", you got a collector's item in your hands.
Posted Image

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
OH really?
I just bought it (GvCM) for a two bucks a few weeks back... and then turned around and bought another one (Starmaker - GvMG) a week later.
I have like 5 of GvMG (including 1 DVD), though only the one is GvCM. (I just buy them when I see them - even if I already have them - LOL)
It does have the beginning Anguirus sequence in it. I have heard some don't but all of mine do. I don't know if that is a falsehood or not.

G7
Posted Image

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^I have never heard of that before. But the fact is that you own the American version on tape. Though not a legal tape, it is still a collector's item. Kudos.
Posted Image

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
It isn't legal? Is Starmaker's stuff illegal? I had no idea if that is the case.
Posted Image

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here it is:

All VHS/DVD copies of the version of the film with the "COSMIC MONSTER" title card are illegal

The Starmaker stuff is legal.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
USNS Seaview...arriving!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
G2Kmaster
Jan 25 2010, 07:16 AM
Though not a legal tape, it is still a collector's item
heyo

How can something illegal be a "collector's" item?

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Because the print is rare. It's an illegal reproduction of something legal.
Posted Image

Rodan70
Member Avatar
Some days you just can get rid of a bomb.
[ * ]
Guardian7
Jan 24 2010, 03:48 PM
Sounds very familiar.
I actually liked this score a lot.

G7
The score was one of the best parts of the movie. You can actually listen to the score without watching the movie. Masaru Sato did great work with the Godzilla movies he scored. Akira Ifukube gets most of the Godzilla credit, but Sato is very underrated.
www.myspace.com/yuriwankenobi

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
THIS... this is one of my absolutely favorite Godzilla films!

I used to dislike MG as a kid... For me because it had been done with Kong (Mechakong - KKE) and seemed like such a rip off of that!

Once I was over that hump and actually gave it a go as a maturing teen... I found this was a VERY fun and (for me) exciting story.

Usually I will start with the cast of such films... but this time I will start off with the Kaiju.

Posted Image
GODZILLA: He is awesome. I could care less if people dislike his heroic mode or not. I think he is just incredible in this film. His entrance in this film is actually kind of spectacular. The way he just pops up sizes up this "Other" (fake) Godzilla and the two kick into high combat mode to his overall resilience in the MG onslaught with everything scene. He is just so amazingly cool! I also LOVE this suit. I know a lot of people don't think this is either his best or his worst. But this is one of my personal favorites (Next to the DAM+ suits).
Plus he does that visually cool looking electromagnetic lighting rod thing on Monster Island.

Posted Image
ANGUIRUS: From his Siberian winter intro at the beginning and his unseen underground travel... to his confrontation with MG's fake Godzilla shell... VERY cool... He plugs away as only Anguirus does! I am kinda disappointed that his defeat in this film so mirrors his first defeat (GRA). But that must have been some sort of homage thing. Anguirus deserved to be in other Godzilla films after this one and I don't mean just that awful FW one.
This was also the first time that another Kaiju actually battled a foe of Godzilla's alone before Godzilla had a chance to engage, meet or even know of his existence. (No I do not count Mothra's battle with KG in GtGHM). Anguirus took him on and met with a pretty brutal defeat (that if he had not fled... I am sure he would have perished).

KING CAESAR: A bit muppety looking in the face for my tastes (here is what I think he should look MORE like in my Guardian7's Gallery - http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=639&start=0 ). I wouldn't have minded seeing him biting and clawing more effectively... and running on all fours. His ability to reflect energy is a little on the bizarre side (I would have rather he had a sonic roar or some such).
The unfortunate thing about KC is he seemed less equipped to deal with MG than Anguirus was.
He was basically ineffective against MG...

Posted Image

MECHAGODZILLA: As stated... I was not very happy with the premises of him... Due to the KKE MechaKong. But once I actually paid attention, I discovered how much cooler MG was compared to his cybernetic Apish brethren.
Mechagodzilla is the ultimate weapons spammer - beam - missiles - etc.
How cool?
THIS COOL!
Posted Image
AWESOME!!!
The SHOWA Mechagodzilla is probably my favorite Godzilla villain.
Beautiful design and cool as hell story (SHAME on them for EVER taking the Alien background story away from him in much later films).

CAST - Both human and inhuman...
Posted Image

AZUMI Family:
Prophet/Princess Nami Azumi (Beru-Bera Lin) - Though in a sense a important secondary character. I really for some reason liked her. She had a very serene quality about her and she was quite pretty. If that was INDEED her voice, She then had talent there as well.
Her appearance is this film was crucial for awakening the Azumi Guardian King Caesar.

Azumi High Priest (Masao Imafuku) - he came off a little over the top. Almost like something out of a then Anime. He was amusing to me when I am not sure he was suppose to be. His protective nature over his Granddaughter was VERY apparent.

Gosuke Shimizu (Masaaki Daimon) - I really felt Gosuke was a very solid character! He was what seemed a successful buisnessman, He had both a very serious and a humourous side. I even liked what appeared to me as the apparent attraction (who could blame him!) to Saeko Kaneshiro (Reiko Tajima). He was also brave when he not only fought the Black Hole Alien (Simeon to some) at his Uncle Professor Wagura's (Hiroshi Koizumi) place, but also when he did the same thing on the ship. GREAT CHARACTER! Very likable.

Masahiko Shimizu (Kazuya Aoyama) - I am not exactly sure what Masahiko's role was... Good looking guy that didn't do much? BRAVE as his brother Gosuke... but certainly not as endearing of a character. He was the action guy it seemed for the film's ending.

Saeko Kaneshiro (Reiko Tajima) - Okinawa's Shuri University's archeology department investigator. She plays a pretty vital role in unraveling the mystery of the King Caesar. Her character plays extremely well against Masahiko's and I really LOVED the chemistry between these two! It certainly doesn't hurt that she was easily this film's eye-candy! I think she played the entirety of her role beautifully. One of my all time favorite Female characters in a Godzilla film.

Professor Wagura (Hiroshi Koizumi) - My FAVORITE Toho actor! His part in this film was very well done. I wished he had continued to play a larger part in it. BUT... once he had helped unravel the mystery of KC with his assistant Saeko, His role was pretty much over as the younger actors started their domino run til the end of the film.

Professor Hideto Miyajima (Akihiko Hirata) - What a cool scientist Hirata played YET once again! He helped launch Godzilla's career as the dark brooding Doctor Daisuke Serizawa and ended his part in it with the wicked smart adventurous Professor Hideto Miyajima. Seems rather full circle for him and Godzilla!
All of that aside the character in this particular film is very cool. Smart enough to know how to fix Mechagodzilla when the Aliens either can't or aren't smart enough to do it without his help.
I really thought he was such an excellent choice for this role and did a more than marvelous job. It was actually his actions that helped lead to the downfall of a Mechagodzilla that may have been unstoppable without his interference.

Eiko Miyajima (Hiromi Matsushita) - Professor Miyajima's daughter... She played her part well enough I suppose. She was a total victim in this film and a tool to be used against Prof. Miyajima. Seemed Masahiko had the potential hots for her... which would have made them a perfect fit. TWO 2-dimensional characters falling for one another. My least favorite character in the film.

Nanbara, Interpol Agent Nanbara (Shin Kishida) - I loved this character. He was also kinda over the top (like the earlier mentioned Azumi High Priest)... But in such a fun way.
He was a total Johnny on the Spot kind of agent. Just seemed to be exactly where he needed to be (fortunately for the ENTIRE cast!).
His attitude and manner were not only amusing... but kind of cool. Easily one of my all time favorite characters from a Godzilla film. I wish he could have appeared in ToMG!

FINALLY we get to Kuronuma, Black Hole Alien Leader (Goro Mutsumi) - What a great villain. So arrogantly confident you know he never felt he was ever going to lose against the silly little humans or that big lizard Godzilla (and his dog).
His predictable cruel and cunning manipulation of Prof. Miyajima using his daughter Eiko was well done.
He and his creation certainly had not only Godzilla, But King Caesar on the ropes as well. Miyajima screwed that up nicely and it almost seemed like Karma considering what Kuronuma had tried to do to the Good Prof., Eiko and Masahiko.

The BLACK HOLE ALIENS - though they do seem largely based on a Planet of the Apes kind of thing really is no biggie to me. Frankly I find the BHA more entertaining than the ones from PotA... but that is just me.
I liked the upon death transformations or partial transformations. I easily could have stood to learn even more about them. We really didn't... but I enjoyed the films nevertheless.

AWESOME FILM!... Buy it... Own it... Watch it frequently!

G7
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
USNS Seaview...arriving!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Guardian7
Aug 15 2010, 11:14 PM
Posted Image
very funny

Godzilla Vs The Cosmic Monster(1974) has always been my favorite 70's G film. The movie is very colorful and vibrant looking on DVD and the beam and pyrotechnic effects during the kaiju battles are spectacular.

I don't have many gripes about this movie and those I have are fairly minor: I found some of the fight sequences among the human cast versus the Black Hole aliens lame, especially Massaki Daimon's battle with the alien assassin aboard the ship inside the cabin, where the fight choreography struck me as sloppy.

There were also some scenes with the monsters that would have benefited from more high speed filming.

Overall, this movie is a lot of fun to watch! thumbz up

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

godzillera
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Hate to seem like I'm plugging myself too much, but since you guys seems to like this film so much, let me know what you think of my YouTube video medley of G & MG fights spliced from the various films (see link in my signature). I worked hard on it and am curious to know what people think!

I agree that this was one of the best 70s G films...perhaps the best of the Showa films (other than the original of course). And the music is great--weird, but endearing. Ifukube stands far above all other composers for these films, but the music is effective in its quirky way. One of the things I marvel at and puzzle over is how the music in these films can be as important to me as effects or plot. Good music can really enhance the atmosphere, and even enliven an otherwise shoddy production.
Edited by godzillera, Aug 16 2010, 04:14 PM.
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla Medley

Guardian7
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
You know... I wish I had the knack for paying attention more with musical scores of movies like it seems nearly every fan of Godzilla movies do... cept me!
I mean, I think I do on an unconscious level... because it REALLY does make a difference for a scene (When I am actually paying attention to that aspect of it). But I think I am almost lazy accustomed to it (Movie Musical Scores) and rarely realize exactly when the score is hurting the movie (cept for the most obvious ones). BUT I would almost bet when it jars (not blatantly mind you)... I just wonder how often a good scene has been hampered by a bad score/choice? and I don't actually or consciously realize WHY I didn't care for a scene... even though it was well acted and that the fault may lay in the score.
Which of course brings me to (MOST) Kaiju films. They really do have an epic thing going on musically. It is a type of music that you (or at least me) learn to enjoy and the more you hear it... Likely the more you will like/enjoy it.
Unfortunately for me... I highly doubt it will ever be a factor that contributes more to me than the actual story or acting.

I did watch your YTvid. The selected scenes were very good and well paced (and matched the music)... unfortunately I found (personally) the music to be unfitting to the scenes shown. The vid itself is good. I would just have picked a different song.

Have you ever seen the Rodan YouTube Vid done to the TOP GUN theme "Highway to the Danger Zone"? It is a perfect example of a more modern song meshing with a subject.

No offense meant of course. I could probably never do what you did (as I lack patience LOL) .

G7
Posted Image

godzillera
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Guardian7
Aug 17 2010, 07:17 AM
You know... I wish I had the knack for paying attention more with musical scores of movies like it seems nearly every fan of Godzilla movies do... cept me!
I mean, I think I do on an unconscious level... because it REALLY does make a difference for a scene (When I am actually paying attention to that aspect of it). But I think I am almost lazy accustomed to it (Movie Musical Scores) and rarely realize exactly when the score is hurting the movie (cept for the most obvious ones). BUT I would almost bet when it jars (not blatantly mind you)... I just wonder how often a good scene has been hampered by a bad score/choice? and I don't actually or consciously realize WHY I didn't care for a scene... even though it was well acted and that the fault may lay in the score.
Which of course brings me to (MOST) Kaiju films. They really do have an epic thing going on musically. It is a type of music that you (or at least me) learn to enjoy and the more you hear it... Likely the more you will like/enjoy it.
Unfortunately for me... I highly doubt it will ever be a factor that contributes more to me than the actual story or acting.

I did watch your YTvid. The selected scenes were very good and well paced (and matched the music)... unfortunately I found (personally) the music to be unfitting to the scenes shown. The vid itself is good. I would just have picked a different song.

Have you ever seen the Rodan YouTube Vid done to the TOP GUN theme "Highway to the Danger Zone"? It is a perfect example of a more modern song meshing with a subject.

No offense meant of course. I could probably never do what you did (as I lack patience LOL) .

G7
Quote:

I wish I had the knack for paying attention more with musical scores of movies like it seems nearly every fan of Godzilla movies do... cept me!

The realization that the music had a big impact on my enjoyment only came fairly recently, after multiple viewings (and after realizing how different the music is in the Millennium films). I never made too much of the fact that I would hear the music in my head after watching a movie just as often as I would remember a scene visually/conceptually.

I'm also a big music lover--not sure how intense you are about it, but my hard drive and shelves are crammed with music of every ilk.

Quote:

I just wonder how often a good scene has been hampered by a bad score/choice?

An example from Godzilla films doesn't come to mind, but the obvious one (for me) is from some episodes of the X-Files. I'm sure some fans will disagree, and I think Mark Snow's scores were often great, but sometimes way too melodramatic. I'm thinking of the episode "Wetwired." A lot of times, I felt the action of a scene was trivialized by over-the-top bombast, whereas the epicness is more suited to giant monsters.

Quote:

unfortunately I found (personally) the music to be unfitting to the scenes shown. The vid itself is good. I would just have picked a different song.

Thanks for the compliment--glad you enjoyed. Sorry you didn't find the song fitting. What would you have picked? I know it may seem a weird choice, but I couldn't listen to that song without seeing this medley in my head--you know, it's all about the pentiums, MechaGodzilla is essentially a big computer....Anyway, I thought the song was fun and funny enough for this kind of thing. I think it's perfectly in line with the campiness of these films--just my opinion.

I haven't seen the Rodan video--will have to check that out! Someone should post a link to that in the YouTube thread if it's not there already.
Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla Medley

UltramanSmythe
Member Avatar
Tokusatsu expert
[ * ]
http://tohokingdom.com/reviews/sub/alex_smith/godzilla_vs_mechagodzilla.htm

My thoughts on the film.
Posted Image

Russzilla
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
Ok. I guess I'm probably late on this, but I had no idea until recently that instead of Anguirus battling the fake Godzilla, it was supposed to have been Baragon burrowing from underground to fight fake Godzilla/Mechagodzilla. Think that would've played out well on screen as opposed to what we see now?

packmule
Member Avatar
USNS Seaview...arriving!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Russzilla
Aug 8 2013, 12:53 PM
I guess I'm probably late on this, but I had no idea until recently that instead of Anguirus battling the fake Godzilla, it was supposed to have been Baragon burrowing from underground to fight fake Godzilla/Mechagodzilla. Think that would've played out well on screen as opposed to what we see now?
Assuming the Baragon suit was in good condition I see no reason to think a Baragon vs MG fight would have been any less effective than the Angilas vs MG battle.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Showa Godzilla Films 1954-1975 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Packmule's Pen

Theme Godzillica Created by .Xynic. exclusively for Monsterland Forums
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved