Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to MONSTERLAND FORUMS! We are a casual and friendly online community of movie fans who like to talk about giant monsters, horror and sci-fi in cinema, on television and on Blu Ray/DVD. There are forums for sports, casual chat and video games as well. For those of you who like making art, writing stories and creating videos, our community includes a forum for these submissions as well. Check out our main index page and other board forums! Anyone is welcome to join our community!

MONSTERLAND FORUMS was created on January 29, 2006 for the purpose of giving fans of giant monster films and other sci-fi/horror movies a friendly online meeting place to discuss all of their favorite films and other things of interest like video gaming and sports.

MONSTERLAND FORUMS has 291 members and over 161,000 posts. This online community is Zetaboards' fourth most active online community in the "Movies" category(among over 300 message boards).

Spring is nearly here! I would like to wish our online community a safe spring and summer!

Our online community isn't the largest on the web but I think it's the best group with which to discuss all the movies we love to watch and also talk about other shared interests! For those of you checking out this message board for the first time give our forums a look: I think you'll like what you see!

GODZILLA(2014), produced by Legendary Pictures and directed by Gareth Edwards, opens in theaters in May, 2014 as the king of monsters returns to the big screen!

-Lee "Packmule" Merritt
site founder

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mediablasters(Tokyo Shock) DVD release updates; DVD releases from "Tokyo Shock"
Topic Started: Feb 26 2006, 01:31 PM (4,886 Views)
gvamp
Community advanced member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Nov 12 2011, 06:51 AM
gvamp
Nov 11 2011, 02:26 PM
As you should and I agree USPS has gotten REALLY terrible recently.
Recently? The USPS has been atrocious for a long time as far as I'm concerned and I'll leave it at that.

Veterans Day was yesterday so no mail delivery. Assuming I get the DAM DVD in the mail today I'm seriously considering sending it back to Amazon unopened and demanding a refund to my Visa debit card. I've gotten to a point where if I don't receive my Amazon orders within what I consider a reasonable time turnaround I'm going to send these orders back. winky
Just an FYI you won't get a full refund stuff like media there's a 45% restocking fee or someting like that. I learned this lesson the hard way back in September when I received a game from Amazon that I forgot to cancel and they shipped despite my card I paid with having the proper funds on it. When I returned the $60 game I only got like $30 or something refunded.
Click this for me: http://rewardgalaxy.com/?ref=637260
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I finally received my DAM DVD yesterday(Saturday). I fired off multiple complaints to the USPS via their website asking why it would take two full days for me to receive this order. The parcel arrived in Atlanta Thursday(11/10) at 8:29 AM and I didn't receive this goddamn order until Saturday(11/12). I'm going to complain about this with the USPS until they're so sick of me they threaten to sue me to stop the complaints.

I put the DVD in two different DVD players because I encountered a problem with this disc: the audio for the version with the AIP dub is messed up for about 30-40 seconds during the Norman Rose narration which runs from his initial description of Monsterland through mentioning the names of the monsters as the camera shows them meandering about on the island. The audio then clears up after that. This audio problem occurs ONLY on the AIP dub version and NOT on the international English dub or the original Toho version with English subtitles.

During this audio glitch the sound warps and wavers and there is a rapid tapping(or fluttering) noise in the background: it almost sounds like someone rapidly thumbing through the pages of a book. This glitch occurs in all three of my DVD players so I know it's not any of them. It has to be a glitch with the DVD.

So, after a delay by the USPS I get this DVD only to discover that the AIP dub has a 30-40 audio glitch. I have this movie on Region 3 DVD(Jap lang only), a quality DVD-R(Jap w/Eng subs and a full screen DVD-R of the AIP dub that's kind of grainy).

The only reason I bought the Tokyo Shock release was to have the movie in widescreen with the AIP dub...and now I have a DVD with an audio problem for that version. vomitard

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen
Godzilla(2014) - international trailer
Dr. Lyle Rossiter on liberals in the U.S.: "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Nov 13 2011, 09:19 AM
I finally received my DAM DVD yesterday(Saturday). I fired off multiple complaints to the USPS via their website asking why it would take two full days for me to receive this order. The parcel arrived in Atlanta Thursday(11/10) at 8:29 AM and I didn't receive this goddamn order until Saturday(11/12). I'm going to complain about this with the USPS until they're so sick of me they threaten to sue me to stop the complaints.

I put the DVD in two different DVD players because I encountered a problem with this disc: the audio for the version with the AIP dub is messed up for about 30-40 seconds during the Norman Rose narration which runs from his initial description of Monsterland through mentioning the names of the monsters as the camera shows them meandering about on the island. The audio then clears up after that. This audio problem occurs ONLY on the AIP dub version and NOT on the international English dub or the original Toho version with English subtitles.

During this audio glitch the sound warps and wavers and there is a rapid tapping(or fluttering) noise in the background: it almost sounds like someone rapidly thumbing through the pages of a book. This glitch occurs in all three of my DVD players so I know it's not any of them. It has to be a glitch with the DVD.

So, after a delay by the USPS I get this DVD only to discover that the AIP dub has a 30-40 audio glitch. I have this movie on Region 3 DVD(Jap lang only), a quality DVD-R(Jap w/Eng subs and a full screen DVD-R of the AIP dub that's kind of grainy).

The only reason I bought the Tokyo Shock release was to have the movie in widescreen with the AIP dub...and now I have a DVD with an audio problem for that version. vomitard
Lee it's not a glitch at all, the AIP dubbing was sourced from Ed G's 16mm print of the film. I forgot to mention that for the users here sorry about that

The only issue I had with it was the countdown drops out and then the annoucement of the monsters on Monster Land, after that it clears up fine for the rest of the film.

Here's Ed G's explaination taken from MZ I hope that clears up things up on the AIP dubbing

Quote:

First off, I haven't gotten a copy of the disc yet, so I can't say too much other than to respond to factual issues. The AIP soundtrack was taken from my 16mm scope print. I don't recall that it was as splicey as people are saying, so I need to check the print once it is returned to me. The optical soundtrack on the film is totally fine, so if there are issues with warbling and such, it must be an issue with the studio doing the transfer.

Sorry that people take such offense to the quality of the 16mm footage, but remember that this is an Eastman print that is 40+ years old. I don't think there is a print in existence from that period that has good color or doesn't have some wear. I was pleased that the color lasted as long as it did--it started to turn reddish around 6-7 years ago. And it is 16mm, not 35mm, which is how the rest of the film is presented, so the change in quality is bound to be noticeable, especially when run back-to-back...and I don't think they did a HD transfer of the 16mm elements either. The print itself is as sharp and clear as any 16mm print can be. But it isn't 35mm. The trailers are taken from my 16mm trailer reel...as you saw when we ran the trailer reel in Topeka, they look totally fine projected, not 'piss-poor'. Why they don't look as good here, I can't say, other than that the French trailer is a dupe, so the quality is not there to begin with on that one.

The Japanese trailer ought to look good as it's from Toho's original master. I've never seen the 'perfectly good' trailer on the All Monsters Attack dvd (nor have I heard of this disc), but if it was sourced directly from 35mm, I expect it looks better than my 16mm trailer. But just because it's on that disc doesn't mean it was available to Media Blasters. To say "that stuff is out there" may be true, but that doesn't mean they were aware of it or that they could get access to it even if they knew.

I did not provide them with the dvd copy of the AIP dubbed version because it was something that was made by another person's hard work, and without their permission, I did not feel it was fair to let MB use it. I had forgotten who I got this copy from until I saw a post in this thread by John, by which time it was too late. Nevertheless, I'm a bit disappointed to see so much crabbing about things like the credits and the AIP dub, things which MB didn't have to spend extra money and effort on to put on the disc, but they did it anyway to try and give something special to the fan base. I can't comment on the quality of how things were transferred yet, but I was pleased that they went out of their way to try and track down as many extras as possible and to get the best source materials they could find. Gee, all these things which were made 40+ years ago and for which most original materials are generally unavailable...they don't look 100% perfect?!?! And then they didn't spend lots of extra time and money to make them absolutely perfect!?!?! The shame!

Yeah, I wish things could have been better, and I expect I may be disappointed myself in the quality of some of the transfers once I see them. But unlike a current film where there are no excuses for everything not to be just right, DAM is 43 years old after all, and is not likely to be selling 1 million copies either. Pristine prints aren't laying around in plain sight waiting to be used, and it's not a title where significant time and money can be invested in a restoration.

I can't wait to hear the nit picking and complaining about Criterion's Godzilla set. If they don't take out all the negative dust and imperfections, I am sure people will be howling. Never mind that they are in the original negative and that the film looked that way from Day 1, the fans demand perfection! Even if the film wasn't made that way.

Ed G.

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gvamp

Lee it's not a glitch at all, the AIP dubbing was sourced from Ed G's 16mm print of the film. I forgot to mention that for the users here sorry about that
I wasn't aware that Mediablasters used Ed G's 16 mm print. That obviously explains the audio problem and is, while unfortunate, not something I'm going to bitch about.

Keith Aiken also posted a reply at Facebook after I mentioned this audio glitch, his comments also mentioning Ed G's print. winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen
Dr. Lyle Rossiter on liberals in the U.S.: "Like spoiled, angry children, they rebel against the normal responsibilities of adulthood and demand that a parental government meet their needs from cradle to grave."

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone notice the recent news that has made the rounds on the internet about Mediablasters? This company has apparently laid off 60% of its staff. loco2

Stuart Galbraith IV, who worked on the commentaries(along with Steve Ryfle) for the Mediablasters R1 DVD release of Godzilla Vs Megalon(1973) has posted at Facebook that MB hasn't paid him for his work and hasn't been returning his calls/emails either.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
Head Onmyoji of Monsterland Forums
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Personally, if I had $2,000, I'd give half to Steve and half to Stuart. Just to get this DVD/blu-ray. G-Fans have been waiting too long, and for wonky buisness things going on, it just makes the worse situation even more terrible.
Posted Image
At the end of a 10 year wait, look in the box below.

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Can anyone confirm that the Mediablasters DAM Blu Ray discs are subject to recall? By "specific" I'm referring to links. winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
Head Onmyoji of Monsterland Forums
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. I've been looking for the FB posts but I couldn't find them again. I wouldn't doubt it at this point that it could have just been a debunked rumor.
Posted Image
At the end of a 10 year wait, look in the box below.

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Destroy all Monsters hasn't been recalled however production of further discs has been haulted until Toho and MB can come to an agreement.

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Media Blasters recently annouced via their FB page that they'll be releasing a barebones release of Godzilla vs Megalon because of the time period it'd take Toho to approve the extras. They then plan to later do a special edition release some time down the road.

shifty eyes vomitard

I will most likely be cancelling my preorder from Amazon in the near future and hold off for the Special Edition.

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
Monster Land's Private Ninja
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gvamp
Mar 15 2012, 12:24 AM
Media Blasters recently annouced via their FB page that they'll be releasing a barebones release of Godzilla vs Megalon because of the time period it'd take Toho to approve the extras. They then plan to later do a special edition release some time down the road.

shifty eyes vomitard

I will most likely be cancelling my preorder from Amazon in the near future and hold off for the Special Edition.
I might get the bare bones disc...I mean I'll be honest...Godzilla vs Megalon was not even close to being my favorite movie so it's not like I'm going to watch it a ton of times. And I usually don't care for most extras anyway...
Edited by TrentonFella, Mar 18 2012, 06:14 PM.
Posted Image

Playstation ID: JerseyGentleman

The Real McCoy
Member Avatar
The Danger Ranger
[ *  *  * ]
This is actually quite perfect if you don't like the movie. That is, assuming it will be much cheaper. I want the special edition, but as long as this release has the dub and trailers, I'll be happy. I do want to hear the commentary, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I wasn't exactly impressed with most of the extras on the DAM release, so I can't imagine it will be much different here. I don't care about English credits and all that stuff.
The Real McBadAss
Posted Image
Help get Zone Fighter on DVD! Send your letters now!

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Real McCoy
Mar 17 2012, 04:56 PM
I want the special edition, but as long as this release has the dub and trailers, I'll be happy
Mediablasters will release Godzilla Vs Megalon(1973) on August 14th(2012). This release WILL NOT contain extras and will only include the film itself, in both English and Japanese audio tracks. Read more: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012/03/22/media-blasters-announces-new-release-date-for-godzilla-vs-megalon/

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Mar 22 2012, 03:49 PM
The Real McCoy
I want the special edition, but as long as this release has the dub and trailers, I'll be happy
Mediablasters will release Godzilla Vs Megalon(1973) on August 14th(2012). This release WILL NOT contain extras and will only include the film itself, in both English and Japanese audio tracks. Read more: http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012/03/22/media-blasters-announces-new-release-date-for-godzilla-vs-megalon/
Well, I guess this is better than nothing. I'll still support it, but obviously dissapointed that MB and Toho couldn't figure things out.

I don't know the "whole" story, and really don't feel like taking the time to go back and read it all, but as a consumer that wants to give Toho and MB his money, I dont think I should have to.

I'm not a rabid fan who is going to badmouth either party because I didn't get what I wanted, but at the same time this obviously makes me feel less inclined to buy a future release. I know Toho and MB don't "owe" me or any other fan anything, but I don't owe them my hard earned cash, either. Godzilla is a niche property with a small but dedicated community of fans, and at this point can't rely on mainstream moviegoers or buyers to purchase their products as opposed to a property like Star Wars or Batman.

From a strictly consumer standpoint, I don't want to hear excuses from MB or Toho about why releases were delayed or missing features. The bottom line was that this release was not handled well and both parties now look bad. If Toho and MB ever want to increase sales/fanbase of their products, the bottom line is that they need to do a better job.
Posted Image[/url]

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
Monster Land's Private Ninja
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
The Real McCoy
August 14, 2012?! shokked Meh...they might have lost me as a customer...this is a bit much. August is a long time...it was bad enough that they blew the January release date but August?! I don't even like this movie that much...*annoyed*
Posted Image

Playstation ID: JerseyGentleman

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Mar 23 2012, 08:13 PM
packmule
The Real McCoy
August 14, 2012?! shokked Meh...they might have lost me as a customer...this is a bit much. August is a long time...it was bad enough that they blew the January release date but August?! I don't even like this movie that much...*annoyed*
Not to mention no Blu-ray release yet either.

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Something tells me Toho is deliberately taking an excessively long amount of time to approve the extras for the G Vs Megalon Mediablasters DVD release, kind of their way of punishing Mediablasters for what they perceive as disrespect for the DAM release issues.

I have absolutely no problem with Toho protecting their copyrights and intellectual property, including Godzilla and I will always feel that way. That said I can't help but feel that Toho, as a company, has shown a consistent and ongoing disdain for fans of their films who live outside Japan. winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

The Real McCoy
Member Avatar
The Danger Ranger
[ *  *  * ]
I know this is a pretty big bump, but I find myself agreeing more and more with the above statement.

Though I don't know that it's necessarily that they're doing it on purpose; I think they just don't give a shit. Either that, or MB doesn't give a shit. Or maybe it's both.
The Real McBadAss
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Keith Aiken posted at Facebook two days ago that he'd received word from Mediablasters that their distributor was about to start shipping out Godzilla Vs Megalon DVDs, presumably to online and store vendors planning to stock them for sale.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Aug 3 2012, 05:23 AM
Keith Aiken posted at Facebook two days ago that he'd received word from Mediablasters that their distributor was about to start shipping out Godzilla Vs Megalon DVDs, presumably to online and store vendors planning to stock them for sale.
Hmm. I'd honestly forgotten about this release over the last couple months. If they have a BD version ready to go, I may bite. Otherwise, I don't have an issue continuing to wait.

vomitard
Posted Image[/url]

The Real McCoy
Member Avatar
The Danger Ranger
[ *  *  * ]
The word is that there's no Blu-ray, just a DVD for now. They are apparently planning to release a special edition BR at a later date with the commentaries and other stuff. This is just a bare bones release.

I have doubts that we'll ever see a BR of this one though, the way things have been going over there.
The Real McBadAss
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Real McCoy
Aug 4 2012, 10:14 AM
I have doubts that we'll ever see a BR of this one though, the way things have been going over there
I'm assuming by "the way things are going over there" you mean the financial duress that Mediablasters is in right now. There are many who believe Mediablasters may declare bankruptcy before a BD of G Vs Megalon, and with special features is produced and shipped to retailers. I happen to be one of those who believes this scenario may very well play out hence why I will buy the basic R1 DVD only to have an official release for this film. (right now all I have is a DVD-R of the R2 Toho version with English subtitles and the DVD-R is twitchy and showing some signs of pixelation)

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

The Real McCoy
Member Avatar
The Danger Ranger
[ *  *  * ]
Yes, that is what I meant. I think you're right; it looks like they'll probably go out of business. Even though I haven't completely given up on them, it doesn't look good.
The Real McBadAss
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I saw this posted at Armand Vaquer's blog: http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2013/09/media-blasters-and-toho-settle.html?spref=fb

Mediablasters and Toho have apparently reached a settlement in the DAM and G Vs Megalon DVD/BD releases in which Mediablasters inadvertently included extras content on these releases which had not been approved by Toho.

The question now is: will the DAM BD ever start being printed again? heyo

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Sep 11 2013, 02:29 PM
I saw this posted at Armand Vaquer's blog: http://armandsrancho.blogspot.com/2013/09/media-blasters-and-toho-settle.html?spref=fb

Mediablasters and Toho have apparently reached a settlement in the DAM and G Vs Megalon DVD/BD releases in which Mediablasters inadvertently included extras content on these releases which had not been approved by Toho.

The question now is: will the DAM BD ever start being printed again? heyo
Yes but not for awhile. Read that as we're waiting till the new American Godzilla film gets closer to release so we can help cash in on its hype.

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope you're right, Tom about the DAM BD from Mediablasters going to print again because I'm not in the mood to pay any Amazon sellers a thousand dollars for a copy. loco2

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Sep 12 2013, 06:00 AM
I hope you're right, Tom about the DAM BD from Mediablasters going to print again because I'm not in the mood to pay any Amazon sellers a thousand dollars for a copy. loco2
Were you not able to grab a copy of DAM on Blu-Ray while it was available, Lee?
Posted Image[/url]

packmule
Member Avatar
Godzilla fan
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
josh TX
Sep 20 2013, 11:42 PM
I was able, Josh. I did buy the standard DVD of the Mediablasters DAM release...but for some reason put off buying the Blu Ray. Dumb move on my part, eh? loco2

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Sep 21 2013, 06:54 AM
josh TX
I was able, Josh. I did buy the standard DVD of the Mediablasters DAM release...but for some reason put off buying the Blu Ray. Dumb move on my part, eh? loco2
No, not dumb...there's no way you could've really known that this was going to happen, and this isn't typical for film releases. I often don't buy catalog titles when they first come out, because I've already seen them, know the price will usually drop, and they will be available for a bit. Only reason I got DAM was because I got it for Christmas. If I was going to purchase myself I probably would've waited a while and inevitably missed out. The only thing dumb in my opinion, is that these were pulled and Mediablasters and Toho have taken so long to iron out an agreement to get them back on shelves. Once again, the customer is the one who suffers as a result. And they wonder why Godzilla's fanbase in the US is lacking. They can't even make the material available to us, even when we WANT to pay for it. Ridiculous.
Posted Image[/url]

The Real McCoy
Member Avatar
The Danger Ranger
[ *  *  * ]
packmule
Sep 21 2013, 06:54 AM
josh TX
Just think of it this way: when/if they start printing again, you can laugh at all the dumb sh*ts who thought they were clever. big grin

Maybe someday we'll get that Megalon blu-ray.
The Real McBadAss
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · DVDs & Blu Rays · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Packmule's Pen

Toho Godzilla Collection Blu Ray sets giveaway

Theme Godzillica Created by .Xynic. exclusively for Monsterland Forums
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved