Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to MONSTERLAND FORUMS! We are a casual and friendly online community of movie fans who like to talk about giant monsters, horror and sci-fi in cinema, on television and on Blu Ray/DVD. There are forums for sports, casual chat and video games as well. For those of you who like making art, writing stories and creating videos, our community includes a forum for these submissions as well. Check out our main index page and other board forums! Anyone is welcome to join our community!

MONSTERLAND FORUMS was created on January 29, 2006 for the purpose of giving fans of giant monster films and other sci-fi/horror movies a friendly online meeting place to discuss all of their favorite films and other things of interest like video gaming and sports.

MONSTERLAND FORUMS has 298 members and over 168,000 posts. This online community is Zetaboards' fourth most active online community in the "Movies" category(among over 300 message boards).

Fall is here!

Our online community isn't the largest on the web but I think it's the best group with which to discuss all the movies we love to watch and also talk about other shared interests! For those of you checking out this message board for the first time give our forums a look: I think you'll like what you see!

GODZILLA(2014), produced by Legendary Pictures and directed by Gareth Edwards, has generated over $500 million in worldwide box office receipts and will release to Blu Ray/DVD on September 26th(2014)!

-Lee "Packmule" Merritt
site founder

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Mysteries of the modern world; Earth's mysteries, monsters and other phenomena
Topic Started: Jul 26 2006, 07:47 PM (22,316 Views)
packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Do you believe in ghosts? By ghosts I mean any kind of non-physical apparition capable of being seen by the naked eye, and/or capable of manifesting itself as a noise(creaking door or blast of cold air). Cast your vote and explain your vote. Feel free to ramble if necessary. All replies welcome. :)

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen
Wishing the entire member community a safe and happy Christmas holiday!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I definitely believe in ghosts, as I've encountered a few as a kid. When I was 9, my Mom and Dad purchased this old general store in the village we lived in. There wasn't any real yard to speak of, but up back there was a small cemetery that housed the remains of a family that had been wiped out from illnesses. One night, my cousin was spending the night with us and my Dad was working, so it meant just my two younger brothers, my cousin, Mom and myself were alone in the house. The store was on the first floor and the upper two floors were our living quarters. Well, late that night, my cousin and I weer awakened by talking and a baby crying. The house was dark, so we didn't know what was going on. We both laid there under the blankets sobbing, almost too afraid to move when we suddenly jumped out of our bed and ran to my parent's bedroom. Mom wasn't overly pleased at having two sobbing girls land in her bed, but she got up and tried to explain that we were probably dreaming and we may have heard a cat howling......we both knew we hadn't been dreaming, but Mom fed us and sat with us for a while before tucking us back into bed.

A year or so later, I once again was awakened by voices, but this time, it didn't scare me, so I got out of bed and at the head of the stairs was a man and a woman kind of looking down the steps towards what was our kitchen. I thought the woman was my Mom and the man was her brother, my Uncle. I asked what was the matter and they turned and gently told me to go back to bed. I thought my 'Uncle' was dressed a little odd, one of those shirts that had slightly 'puffy' sleeves and tied at the neck, but I did as I was told and went to bed. The next morning, I asked my Mom why my Uncle was there the night before and she said he hadn't been there, I must have been dreaming, but I knew I had been awake, as I could see the lights on in the kitchen and the TV was running.

Several years after my parents divorced, they sold the store to a family. The family's oldest daughter had two young sons and one evening she was bathing the boys when one of the boys asked who the little girl was....she turned and standing in the hall was a very young girl....they had no daughter and when the woman went out into the hall, the girl had disappeared.

Those have been my only two experiences with 'ghosts', but I feel very strongly that I was hearing and later seeing members of the family that had died where our home had been built. I've never encountered anything like that since, but as much as anyone might try to convince me that it was nothing more than dreams, I don't believe it, I think I truly saw ghosts.
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Some interesting accounts Kimi. I voted "I'm not sure" because...well, I'm not sure whether to believe in ghosts, or not. I have always been(and will always be) a person who believes in what I can see, feel, and/or touch. The only exception to this I have ever allowed myself is my belief in God...or something that awaits us in the afterlife. Believe me when I tell you that I am not an atheist-I believe in something, that there is something waiting for us, I'm just not sure what it is. It is something that I have struggled with all of my life. Because there have been so many people who have claimed to have seen things the same or similar to what you described in your post I allow that there is probably something to it. It cannot be explained away as exaggerations, lies, or other various misinterpretations from drunkards, crackpots, or just those people wanting to draw attention to themselves. Certainly there are these kinds but it seems that the vast majority of people claiming to have seen ghosts are sober and lucid. For that reason I believe there may be something to it. That said I just don't believe I will ever be truly convinced unless the hot-dog eating Slimer(from "Ghostbusters") or Casper comes up to me at night and taps me on the shoulder. tongue-1

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

gojira2
Community member
[ * ]
I do. A couple nights ago I felt a strange presence in my room and I thought it was my Grandfathers spirit. I'm not sure what it really was but I am convinced that ghosts are real now.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

You can try to win

Ro-Dan
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
In broad daylight I don't believe in ghosts. But at night, I'm a firm believer. ;)
Posted Image
Follow me on Twitter!
Be my friend on Facebook!

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gojira2
Jul 29 2006, 02:24 PM
I do. A couple nights ago I felt a strange presence in my room and I thought it was my Grandfathers spirit. I'm not sure what it really was but I am convinced that ghosts are real now.

Thread drift: howdy partner! How have you been? How's your summer so far? Let everyone around here know how you've been if you want. :)

Topic: Though I am still something of a skeptic when it comes to ghosts I believe there may be something to it. Anyone here care to comment on mediums, i.e. people who supposedly have the ability to "feel" or other wise communicate in some fashion with the deceased? If "mediums" are actually communicating with the dead then wouldn't they in essence be talking with ghosts? eyebrow

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

KaijuFanatic
Member Avatar
DVD Fanatic
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The two personal experiences I mentioned were my only 'meetings' with ghosts and that was more than enough for me! I never felt threatened or anything, but I didn't like how I felt with the 'sounds' at all! freak out

I lost my one Grandmother 12 years ago....she and I were extremely close and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't stop and think about her, miss her and wish I could sit and talk with her, again, but I've never 'seen' her, since her passing. I have had a few dreams where Grandma is alive and well and I always awaken feeling quite happy. My Mom told me that she feels it's Grandma's way of letting me know she's OK and happy with where she is. I find that comforting in some odd way. :)

As for mediums, the jury is still out on that area for me. I don't think I;d want that 'gift', if it is possible to 'talk' with those who have passed on! I wouldn't want to be able to see or communicate with folks in that way, too much.....uneasiness for my liking.
Hers, Mine & Our DVDs

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
KaijuFanatic
Jul 30 2006, 11:08 PM
The two personal experiences I mentioned were my only 'meetings' with ghosts and that was more than enough for me! I never felt threatened or anything, but I didn't like how I felt with the 'sounds' at all! freak out

I lost my one Grandmother 12 years ago....she and I were extremely close and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't stop and think about her, miss her and wish I could sit and talk with her, again, but I've never 'seen' her, since her passing. I have had a few dreams where Grandma is alive and well and I always awaken feeling quite happy. My Mom told me that she feels it's Grandma's way of letting me know she's OK and happy with where she is. I find that comforting in some odd way.

Please accept my belated condolences on the loss of your grandmother. :(

I have had many dreams in which my mother or father(but for some reason never both) are alive and well. I believe dreams are an echo of our subconscious mind, or maybe a manifestation of our repressed feelings and emotions regarding things and people in our lives. The dreams involving my mother are always positive. I was very close to my mom. The dreams involving my father are often negative, and are a replay of sorts of the oft strained relationship that my father and I had. It's an old father-son theme-father does not approve of son's career choices and never believes his son lives up to his potential. The son(in this case me) believes his father(my own) tries to impose his own desires and objectives on his son and will not respect his son's choices regarding career. Add to that that my father wanted me to have a wife and children-more grandchildren for him. I have never had a desire to get married, or have children. To this day I believe my father believed I would not marry/have a family just to spite him, and, though nothing could be further from the truth, I could never convince him that it was for other reasons. As he aged and acquired Alzheimer's our relationship became, sadly, practically nonexistent. Because my dreams involving my parents seem to parallel the very kind of relationship I had with both I believe that dreams are just a subconscious echo, and not really any kind of "message" from either about how they are doing. In saying that I am in no way implying that what you stated in your post is wrong or not true. I think dreams my be different things to different people-in your case one involving your grandma makes you a little happier, which is good.
I don't put much stock in dreams-I never have. Because the ones I have are, at least in the last ten years, mostly bad or bizarre, I consider them an annoyance. Nothing more.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

Ghost the Bat
Member Avatar
Community member
[ * ]
Yes I beleive in myself.

I mean yeah, I beleive in ghosts...I swore ive seen one at my house...
I don't wanna go into detail about it but it happened at like 2:30 am while I was playing some video game, I saw a somewhat bright light at the corner of my eye in my dineing room...when I looked at it, it was gone, kind of scared me a bit.
Hospital Corpsman Third Class Petty Officer in the U.S. Navy
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ghost the Bat
Aug 10 2006, 03:51 PM
Yes I beleive in myself.

Mr Green

That is an unusual thing to happen Ghost, no doubt about it. I would talk about my own encounters with ghosts, but I cannot because I have never had any incidents like this. I have known a few people who claimed to have seen some unusual things though. Example: though no longer a hobby for me I used to do quite a bit of trout fishing while I was in high school, college, and then up until about 1990. On one such trip, along the Chatooga River near Rome, Ga(about 70 miles north of Atlanta), a member of our group came hauling ass back to our camp claiming to have seen an "ape-thing". He also referred to it as an "ape-looking monster". He was not drunk, and his hysterics were genuine. Me and the other guys blew it off as bullsh*t, until that same night, when we heard some noises coming from the nearby woods. Let me tell you I am familiar with just about every noise an animal living in these woods could make, large and small. The sounds we heard sounded almost like a wolf howling. Almost. They also had a distinctly pig-like quality to them. We all became creeped out by the "howling" we heard. Later, after one in the group claimed to have heard rustling in a woodline about 50 feet away, we all packed up, got in our vehicles, and got the hell out of there. I never saw anything, but I do remember those sounds I heard. I wonder, even now, what made them. shocked smiley

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sometimes, in my fondness for Godzilla and other giant cinematic monsters, regarding the movies they starred in and discussion about them, I forget that throughout the history of our great planet there have been many species of animal that might qualify as "monster" as well, many of them attaining scary physical proportions while they existed on the Earth. This thread is for the discussion of all of nature's mysterious and/or giant beasts, extinct, alive, or somewhere in between, as well as other various natural phenomena of our planet. All replies welcome.

Thread starter: Carcharadon Megalodon, a prehistoric shark, lived in various oceans of the world somewhere between 1.5 million to 2 million years ago. Considered by many biologists to be the ancestor of the Great White shark (Carcharadon Carcharis), the Megalodon, or "Meg", its' common nickname among scientists, was a behemoth in every sense of the word. It's size ranged from 40-52 feet in length and it weighed anywhere from 20-30 tons, feeding on whales, giant squid, and other large fish, including sharks. Rogue specimens of Megalodon reached 60-70 feet in length, and tipped the scales at 40 tons. freak out Fossilized teeth,vertebrae and jaw bones of this enormous predatory marine animal have been found in great quantity throughout seabeds the world over. Though they are generally considered an extinct species, there are some in the scientific community who believe these giant sharks may still be around, albeit in greatly reduced numbers, living in deep depths in more inaccessible parts of our oceans. Click the thumbnails to get an idea of what this monster might have looked like, and a good idea as to it's size:

Posted Image

Posted Image

... freak out

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
Monster Land's Private Ninja
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Speaking of Megs...have you every see the movies about these sharks on Sci-fi? Cheesy movies but they did a decent job at showing how massive these sharks were believed to be.
Posted Image

Playstation ID: JerseyGentleman

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Apr 8 2007, 10:56 AM
Speaking of Megs...have you every see the movies about these sharks on Sci-fi? Cheesy movies but they did a decent job at showing how massive these sharks were believed to be.

I have seen them. In fact, I have two in my DVD collection: Megalodon. a typical Sci-Fi Channel "straight to video" type film, with average acting and all-CGI 60' shark, and the CGI was only, IMO, average. Still, it was worth a look. The other DVD I have is Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, a marginally better(IMO) film-the acting isn't quite as stale as the other one I mentioned. Both are worth a look on television, if you can catch them-as for buying the DVDs of them, maybe if they are discounted, say well under $10. ;)

I also have several books written by Steve Alten: Meg, The Trench, and Meg: Primal Waters are three books I have by this author that feature these monster-sized sharks. They are great reads. There is a movie in the works, Trent, tentatively scheduled for release in 2008, called Meg, and based on Steve Alten's book of the same title. The last update I saw about this movie stated that Jan DeBont was directing. eyebrow

Here's Steve Alten's website: Steve Alten.com

Image-We're gonna need a bigger boat: in this case a battleship might be in order, to deal with the sixty foot long, thirty ton "Meg" in this pic, casually eating a powerboat and it's unfortunate occupant-from Shark Attack 3: Megalodon(2002)
Posted Image

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 8 2007, 11:35 AM
I have seen them. In fact, I have two in my DVD collection: Megalodon. a typical Sci-Fi Channel "straight to video" type film, with average acting and all-CGI 60' shark, and the CGI was only, IMO, average. Still, it was worth a look. The other DVD I have is Shark Attack 3: Megalodon, a marginally better(IMO) film-the acting isn't quite as stale as the other one I mentioned. Both are worth a look on television, if you can catch them-as for buying the DVDs of them, maybe if they are discounted, say well under $10.  ;)

I also have several books written by Steve Alten: Meg, The Trench, and Meg: Primal Waters are three books I have by this author that feature these monster-sized sharks. They are great reads. There is a movie in the works, Trent, tentatively scheduled for release in 2008, called Meg, and based on Steve Alten's book of the same title. The last update I saw about this movie stated that Jan DeBont was directing.  eyebrow

Here's Steve Alten's website: Steve Alten.com

Image-We're gonna need a bigger boat: in this case a battleship might be in order, to deal with the sixty foot long, thirty ton "Meg" in this pic, casually eating a powerboat and it's unfortunate occupant-from Shark Attack 3: Megalodon(2002)
Posted Image

I have seen both movies on Sci-Fi but I have seen Shark Attack 3: Megalodon more often, in fact the screen cap you have posted is the scene I remember the most from the movie lol But I have never read any books or actually articles on Megs, maybe I will when I finish with school in a few weeks.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Trentonfella"

But I have never read any books or actually articles on Megs, maybe I will when I finish with school in a few weeks
I believe you would like many of Steve Alten's books. They are a good blend of action, suspense, and the periodic tensions that happen in human relationships. My personal favorite is Meg, but I have enjoyed reading all of them. Any of them can be purchased online or at retailers like Barnes And Noble. :)

Click the link for an article, from 2002, about a strange, and as yet unidentified deep sea audio sound picked up by American underwater detection devices:"Bloop".

As a former Navy officer I can tell you Trent that in my occasional conversations with submarine officers, over beer and drinks at the Officer's Club on the Charleston(SC) naval base, these guys would tell me stories about things their sub's sonars would pick up-a lot of them were sounds like the one mentioned in this CNN article: they were weird, unidentifiable...and really big. freak out

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 10 2007, 04:53 AM
Click the link for an article, from 2002, about a strange, and as yet unidentified deep sea audio sound picked up by American underwater detection devices:"Bloop".

As a former Navy officer I can tell you Trent that in my occasional conversations with submarine officers, over beer and drinks at the Officer's Club on the Charleston(SC) naval base, these guys would tell me stories about things their sub's sonars would pick up-a lot of them were sounds like the one mentioned in this CNN article: they were weird, unidentifiable...and really big. freak out

shocking That's freaky stuff but it doesn't shock me, the ocean hides a lot of mysteries down there in those waters...who knows what's down there you know? But it would be cool to find out there are some Megs still alive or some other prehistoric beast (like a live giant squid).
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Apr 10 2007, 07:20 PM
some other prehistoric beast (like a live giant squid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIELef5R6nY

You might be interested to know, Trent, that some beached(dead) sperm whale carcasses have sucker marks and other wounds consistent with giant squid attacks. It is known by scientists that sperm whale often prey on giant squid(for food) in deep depths of the oceans. Many of the sucker marks found were wider than dinner plates. Based on the size of these sucker marks scientists have estimated the size of the squids making them at over sixty feet in length, from the tip of their "cone" to the end of their two elongated "whips"(the squid's two longest tentacles)... freak out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WVP8jhBd4

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Something else I've always found very interesting to read about are the periodic discoveries of marine animal carcasses that are strange and unidentifiable. Example: click the thumbnail image below to see what is believed to be a giant octopus carcass that washed ashore in St. Augustine, FLA in 1896:
Posted Image

There are also many cryptozoological mysteries of the world: Bigfoot, The Abominable Snowman, and of course, "Nessie", an alleged sea monster that resides in Loch Ness, a series of deep and wide lochs near the city of Inverness in Scotland. Sightings of this alleged lake monster go back for over 1500 years. There have been countless scientific expeditions that have attempted, using state of the art audio/video underwater detection devices, to locate this elusive creature, but so far all have failed to capture the alleged monster on film-there have been some sonar anomalies, but that's it. Some scientists speculate that if "Nessie" exists it could be a plesiosaur. Click the link for more info on The Loch Ness Monster: The Legend Of Nessie

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 10 2007, 06:59 PM
TrentonFella
Apr 10 2007, 07:20 PM
some other prehistoric beast (like a live giant squid).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIELef5R6nY

You might be interested to know, Trent, that some beached(dead) sperm whale carcasses have sucker marks and other wounds consistent with giant squid attacks. It is known by scientists that sperm whale often prey on giant squid(for food) in deep depths of the oceans. Many of the sucker marks found were wider than dinner plates. Based on the size of these sucker marks scientists have estimated the size of the squids making them at over sixty feet in length, from the tip of their "cone" to the end of their two elongated "whips"(the squid's two longest tentacles)... freak out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3WVP8jhBd4

I use to really be into giant squids and such but the more information that was released about them the less I became interested. They are slowly losing their "mystical" aura about them...but if a 60 ft squid was to ever be captured (either on tape or alive) I would definitely be amazed shocking
Posted Image

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 11 2007, 05:22 AM
Something else I've always found very interesting to read about are the periodic discoveries of marine animal carcasses that are strange and unidentifiable. Example: click the thumbnail image below to see what is believed to be a giant octopus carcass that washed ashore in St. Augustine, FLA in 1896:
Posted Image

There are also many cryptozoological mysteries of the world: Bigfoot, The Abominable Snowman, and of course, "Nessie", an alleged sea monster that resides in Loch Ness, a series of deep and wide lochs near the city of Inverness in Scotland. Sightings of this alleged lake monster go back for over 1500 years. There have been countless scientific expeditions that have attempted, using state of the art audio/video underwater detection devices, to locate this elusive creature, but so far all have failed to capture the alleged monster on film-there have been some sonar anomalies, but that's it. Some scientists speculate that if "Nessie" exists it could be a plesiosaur. Click the link for more info on The Loch Ness Monster: The Legend Of Nessie

That could be a giant octopus but honestly I have no idea what that is lol Definitely don't want to meet that one day on a trip out to the beach. As for the Loch Ness monster...that's one legend I wish would go away. All these years and they haven't found anything new about this creature?? I think the Loch Ness monster is just a bogus story until I see something concrete for a change.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
"Trentonfella"

All these years and they haven't found anything new about this creature?? I think the Loch Ness monster is just a bogus story until I see something concrete for a change.
Many people feel as you do-until there is hard evidence they remain unconvinced this creature exists, which is of course absolutely reasonable. There have been many obstacles to finding "Nessie", stated over the years, by those who attempted to capture this alleged monster. The lochs themselves are very deep, the water extremely murky, making visibility in the water very poor. Currents in these lochs also are, on occasion, fairly strong, which has made the use of underwater cameras, attached to cables, often problematic. Several scientific teams have installed tripod mounted video-cameras, positioned around the periphery of these lochs-so far they have picked up various images of disturbances in the water, and one of the videos(I have seen on the internet) appears to be an underwater object, moving through the water just below the surface, leaving a wake behind it. Still, even watching this video it's basically impossible to tell what is causing the wake. confused

This is NOT the video I saw of an underwater moving object in the loch at Inverness, however it is interesting in that this video does show something in the water, in realtime, and with witnesses. It could be a hoax, Trent. Watch it and decide for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WDNIvnlgA

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 13 2007, 05:04 AM
This is NOT the video I saw of an underwater moving object in the loch at Inverness, however it is interesting in that this video does show something in the water, in realtime, and with witnesses. It could be a hoax, Trent. Watch it and decide for yourself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97WDNIvnlgA

That's quite the video, what's the date on that? But it's hard to argue against that...there was definitely something in the water and it was pretty large...interesting shocking
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TrentonFella
Apr 14 2007, 02:20 PM
That's quite the video, what's the date on that? But it's hard to argue against that...there was definitely something in the water and it was pretty large...interesting

I'll tell this much about that video Trent: if it was a hoax then it was a pretty damn good one, because what was in the water did not look, IMO, man made. shifty eyes

"Trentonfella"

what's the date on that?
July 8, 2006.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
For as long as I can remember I have also been fascinated by natural phenomena that occur, to extremes, regarding our planet. Rogue waves and giant ocean waves have always fascinated me, in addition to tidal waves, which are something of a misnomer as they have nothing to do with the tides. Rogue waves, that is, random and abruptly forming giant waves at sea, have been blamed for the destruction of thousands of oceangoing vessels throughout our history. In 1975 the Edmund Fitzgerald is thought to have sunk in a violent storm on Lake Superior, damaged, and consequently sunk, by a rogue wave possibly as high as 70-80 feet. Some giant waves are even surfed. There is a community of "big wave" surfers who travel the world in search of the ultimate wave. Some of these surfers have, it's been reported, already surfed unusually emormous waves. A surfer named Ken Bradshaw, in 1998, allegedly surfed a wave that had a 74 foot face. The official record(Guiness Book Of World Records) is 66 feet, surfed off the coast of Southern California. Check out this video, which shows a surfer riding a truly giant wave, which appears, from this video, to be in the neighborhood of 50 feet tall: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmEu0Jp9clE

The Edmund Fitzgerald

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 14 2007, 04:11 PM
I'll tell this much about that video Trent: if it was a hoax then it was a pretty damn good one, because what was in the water did not look, IMO, man made. shifty eyes

That's a hell of a hoax if it is one...and that happened around my b-day last year...freaky shocking
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Meet Dipluradon, a gargantuan prehistoric marine predator that lived during the Jurassic Era: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ph-hNw9Dcs

freak out

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 17 2007, 05:58 AM
Meet Dipluradon, a gargantuan prehistoric marine predator that lived during the Jurassic Era: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ph-hNw9Dcs

freak out

I think I just pooped my pants...I'm glad none of those things are still around. Hell Godzilla would even struggle with those beasts shocking
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
An interesting documentary aired last year on the Discovery Channel which, using CGI, recreated many of the carnivorous, and very large, marine predators that lived in the world's oceans during the prehistoric eras. One was the Carcharadon Megalodon, or "Meg". Click the link to see what a real live 60 foot long 'Meg" might have looked like, swimming around Nigel Marvin's anti-shark cage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AUOO7BgBU

shocking

A scene from Shark Attack 3: Megalodon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIcLjNCu5U

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Apr 17 2007, 09:34 PM
An interesting documentary aired last year on the Discovery Channel which, using CGI, recreated many of the carnivorous, and very large, marine predators that lived in the world's oceans during the prehistoric eras. One was the Carcharadon Megalodon, or "Meg". Click the link to see what a real live 60 foot long 'Meg" might have looked like, swimming around Nigel Marvin's anti-shark cage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AUOO7BgBU

shocking

A scene from Shark Attack 3: Megalodon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIcLjNCu5U

That's interesting...I need to look up the size of a whale shark and compare that to the size of a Meg. Just to get a better idea of how massive these things were (or are if they actually still exisit).
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ground pounder
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Trentonfella"

...I need to look up the size of a whale shark and compare that to the size of a Meg. Just to get a better idea of how massive these things were (or are if they actually still exisit)
Whale sharks are benign, that is non-belligerent, and feed primarily on plankton and krill(tiny shrimp) that enter their mouths as these giants swim through the depths. Not sure how big whale sharks get, but I seem to recall that they generally average between 40-50 feet in length, with some specimens a little smaller. Megalodon sharks averaged, based on the consensus of scientists, between 40-52 feet in length and 20-25 tons in weight-some recovered fossilized vertebral remains and unusually large fossilized jawbones of these predators indicate that they often grew to even larger sizes, up to 70 feet in length and weighing 30 tons plus.

The majority of marine biologists, Trent, believe that "Megs" became extinct some 10,000 years ago. Changes in the ocean's temperatures, brought on by climactic events, killed many of the species of fish that these enormous sharks preyed on. As the Meg's food sources waned so did the numbers of these giant predators, until they died off, unable to find sufficient food to carry on their numbers. Those scientists who believe these mammoth prehistoric sharks may still exist suggest the reason they may still live is because these giants went to deeper depths, looking for food, and finding it, remain there today, forever out of sight of mankind. It's certainly possible, IMO. Consider, Trent, that many of the world's oceans are home to some of the deepest places on Earth, like the Marianas Trench, it's depth five miles in places. It is fact that scientists know more about the surface of the moon than they do the deepest recesses of the world's oceans. It is speculated, by some scientists, that "Megs" could find ample sources of food at these great depths, preying on giant squid, sperm whales, orcas, even other sharks, like Great Whites and Hammerheads. Posted Image

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Casual chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Packmule's Pen

Theme Godzillica Created by .Xynic. exclusively for Monsterland Forums
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved