Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to MONSTERLAND FORUMS! We are a casual and friendly online community of movie fans who like to talk about giant monsters, horror and sci-fi in cinema, on television and on Blu Ray/DVD. There are forums for sports, casual chat and video games as well. For those of you who like making art, writing stories and creating videos, our community includes a forum for these submissions as well. Check out our main index page and other board forums! Anyone is welcome to join our community!

MONSTERLAND FORUMS was created on January 29, 2006 for the purpose of giving fans of giant monster films and other sci-fi/horror movies a friendly online meeting place to discuss all of their favorite films and other things of interest like video gaming and sports.

MONSTERLAND FORUMS has 298 members and over 168,000 posts. This online community is Zetaboards' fourth most active online community in the "Movies" category(among over 300 message boards).

Fall is here!

Our online community isn't the largest on the web but I think it's the best group with which to discuss all the movies we love to watch and also talk about other shared interests! For those of you checking out this message board for the first time give our forums a look: I think you'll like what you see!

GODZILLA(2014), produced by Legendary Pictures and directed by Gareth Edwards, has generated over $500 million in worldwide box office receipts and will release to Blu Ray/DVD on September 26th(2014)!

-Lee "Packmule" Merritt
site founder

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Thing(1982)/The Thing From Another World(1951); Discuss the '51 classic and '82 "The Thing" films as well as the 2011 "prequel" film
Topic Started: Oct 26 2008, 11:18 AM (4,807 Views)
G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
Head Onmyoji of Monsterland Forums
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I do not have to explain the films. They are so legendary already. Everyone has talked about them. But which one is better?

Posted Image

or

Posted Image
Posted Image
At the end of a 10 year wait, look in the box below.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
gvamp
Community advanced member
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Not to drag this topic off further but supposedly the reason Ozzy slurred his speech on the reality show from about 10 years ago was because he was heavily medicated.

I know in recent interviews he's not as bad as what he was in the show. Though I'm sure some of his partying also played a part in it.
Click this for me: http://rewardgalaxy.com/?ref=637260

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
G2Kmaster
Oct 14 2011, 11:51 AM
I was talking about this Osborne... Maybe I should remember to remove the "u" in the name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Osborne

very funny

I'm going to watch the '82 "Thing" film and post a "revisit" of this marvelous movie either tonight or tomorrow.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen
Freddy Vs Jason(2003) - trailer

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I made it into the theater to see this film and I'm happy to report that while it did have a few flaws, it was far from "bad" and still a worthy watch in my opinion.

I don't want to give a whole lot away about the plot, but I will say the movie is definitely a prequel in terms of plot, but many of the scenes do feel somewhat like re-hashes of scenarios in the 82 film. And yes, they do reveal too much of the creature too early, but the suspense level does pick itself back up over the next few scenes of the film.

Though there were a couple bad plot turns and maybe not enough original ideas in this film, I still felt that it was a worthy relative to the 82' film, which I consider a personal all-time favorite. Technology has allowed for the filmmakers to do some cool scenes with the alien and really increase it's mobility, and there are some other surprises that I won't spoil that will help die hard fans make a connection between the two films that the casual viewer may not catch. All in all I would rate this a bit higher than the Hollywood critics, and probably give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
Posted Image[/url]

Godzillaheisei546
Member Avatar
A Sophisticated Goofball
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not to Recently, but still Recent, I viewed the Howard Hawks version.
I must admit my first viewing didn't go well. I kept looking at the clock. Not out of bordem, but I think my reasons were because of the dialouge. Too Fast.
So far I have seen it a matter of four times. It gets better each time, which I don't think I can say about carpenters version. I must also admit it's the only, I repeat only Black and White Film from any time period to actually make me jump. I attribute this to the length of time we don't see the thing. you never know when he will show up. Plus each time I see this movie I get more of the dialouge.
As far as where I stand between this and the remake, I'm kinda split, and Would say a Tie for now.
One true complaint I can say is the low body count is a downer, While I'm glad they don't show most of the killings leaving it to the viewers Imagination, I wish there was more characters killed off.
Posted Image

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
Monster Land's Private Ninja
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
josh TX
Oct 18 2011, 10:34 PM
I made it into the theater to see this film and I'm happy to report that while it did have a few flaws, it was far from "bad" and still a worthy watch in my opinion.

I don't want to give a whole lot away about the plot, but I will say the movie is definitely a prequel in terms of plot, but many of the scenes do feel somewhat like re-hashes of scenarios in the 82 film. And yes, they do reveal too much of the creature too early, but the suspense level does pick itself back up over the next few scenes of the film.

Though there were a couple bad plot turns and maybe not enough original ideas in this film, I still felt that it was a worthy relative to the 82' film, which I consider a personal all-time favorite. Technology has allowed for the filmmakers to do some cool scenes with the alien and really increase it's mobility, and there are some other surprises that I won't spoil that will help die hard fans make a connection between the two films that the casual viewer may not catch. All in all I would rate this a bit higher than the Hollywood critics, and probably give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
I was never able to catch this in theaters before it's run was over here so I'll have to pick this up when it comes out on DVD/Blu-Ray.
Posted Image

Playstation ID: JerseyGentleman

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone who may be wondering what "The Thing" prequel film's creature effects would have looked like had the producers of this movie gone with an all "practical makeup effects" and no CGI should click the link: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27209

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Nov 12 2011, 08:01 PM
Anyone who may be wondering what "The Thing" prequel film's creature effects would have looked like had the producers of this movie gone with an all "practical makeup effects" and no CGI should click the link: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27209
That looks pretty cool...admittedly I wish that the movie could have remained practical as opposed to CGI despite the fact that I think the CGI probably allowed them to do a little more with the creatures, especially as far as mobility.

Interesting that it was intended to be a syfy channel prequel...I really like Frank Darabont's work, but I am getting to the point where I have a really hard time believing that any made for tv syfy movie could ever be any good at all. I believe I may have a better chance of shacking it up with Kim Kardashian than syfy has of making an acclaimed film. winky
Posted Image[/url]

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Nov 12 2011, 08:01 PM
Wow that's pretty cool and interesting. thumbz up
Posted Image

Russzilla
Member Avatar
Community charter member
[ *  *  * ]
The first movie will always be the best one in my opinion.

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's something I found posted today that includes more practical effects footage from the prequel movie: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/27573

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's Dread Central's review of the BD release of The Thing(2011): http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/thing-blu-ray-dvd

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Jan 20 2012, 04:56 PM
Here's Dread Central's review of the BD release of The Thing(2011): http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/thing-blu-ray-dvd
Not a very positive review...
Posted Image

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When it comes to the practical FX stuff, I got to say that it is too bad Rob Bottin doesn't do the work he used to since I have seen somewhere that he prefers CG to the stuff that got him famous.

And since the Hawks film did get mentioned, I got to say that one thing Carpenter picked up from Hawks which he does better than Hawks is the overlapping dialogue bits. I have been under the impression that overlapping dialogue is supposed to give scenes a bit of suspense, they get you nervous because it shows the characters are nervous. But in my times watching the original THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD, I never felt that (and the only time I actually remember that technique being used was at the beginning which was during a character development scene). With THE THING (when MacCready ends it by yelling "cut the bullshit") and one particular scene in PRINCE OF DARKNESS, I felt it.
Posted Image

josh TX
Member Avatar
Community Hall Of Famer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Jan 20 2012, 04:56 PM
Despite this review, as well as most popular opinion of this film, I'll still be picking it up soon after release, most likely this Friday.
Posted Image[/url]

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I watched this tonight and must say I was dissapointed with it. Some things where cool but for the most part it seemed like a rehash of John Carpenter's version. Now I'm kind of upset I spent my Vudu credit on this.

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gvamp
Feb 2 2012, 02:03 AM
I watched this tonight and must say I was disappointed with it
sadlyicon

I may order this film as an "on demand" rental in HD with my cable provider(A T & T U-Verse) and watch it before spending $ on the DVD. winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lee did you ever pick up a BD player that supports "apps" or what about one of you HDTVs?

If so and they support Vudu movies you get a free $4.99 credit when you sign up for an account. I honestly wouldn't waste to much money on this film.

The beginning and ending are different but everything else is pretty much identical to the 82 film including plot elements and pacing by pacing I mean that the plot elements that are similar to the 82 version happen about the same time as what they did in that film.

The Thing has really poor CGI effects too.
Edited by gvamp, Feb 2 2012, 02:13 PM.

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
gvamp
Feb 2 2012, 02:12 PM
Lee did you ever pick up a BD player that supports "apps" or what about one of you HDTVs?
No. I was planning to wait until I working full time before investing in a BD player. Now I think I'll invest in one but not until my hours pick up again in early April.

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
If you are looking for a cheap but good blu-ray player, I'd suggest the Dynex one which Best Buy is selling. I've had mine for a full month and I am loving it. It's less than $90.

As for my getting of this film, IDK. The versions that the brick and mortar shops are getting have the same specifical features as the blu-ray version. I can wait till those get to be $8. Just one month before they take some of those rental copies and sell them to customers. Also a month before poster my local video store will be avaialbe for me to have for free.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
G2Kmaster
Feb 2 2012, 08:06 PM
As for my getting of this film, IDK
This sentence hurts my eyes. loco2

Instead of "as for my getting of this film", a more reasonably constructed sentence might read:

"as for me buying this film" or

"as for my buying this film"

Something to think about, Evan. winky

I watched The Thing(2011) earlier this evening in HD as an "on demand" movie rental through my cable provider. I liked the movie overall but I did NOT like it nearly as much as the 1982, John Carpenter directed film of the same name.

What I liked about the "prequel" movie:

1. Mary Elizabeth Winstead who, wearing a minimal amount of makeup, still looks terrific. tongue-2

2. one scene where the alien creature's method of absorbing a person is delved into in greater detail

3. the design of the creature while it was out in the open and battling the station members: I liked how the design retained a lot of the grotesque elements of the '82 film but was also a little different as well

4. the reveals of the exterior and interior of the spaceship

What I didn't like:

1. the interactions between the characters were more predictable and the characters themselves seemed much less interesting than those in the '82 movie

2. I agree with gvamps' disdain regarding the CGI effects. Were they really bad? I would say no but they also could have looked a lot better as well, in my opinion

3. the inconclusive fate of the character "Kate Lloyd"(played by Mary Winstead). I would have preferred a more defined ending for this character than what was shown which a viewer watching this film might interpret as she eventually freezes to death or manages to escape to the Russian station 50 miles away... ? huh?

Anyone who really likes the '82 "Thing" film will probably like this one as well but, I suspect, not as much as the John Carpenter directed movie. I'll pick up the 2011 "prequel" on DVD but only because I'm such a huge fan of the '82 movie. winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

NWV
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
One of the more negative reviews, (second video down). Sort of a Vlog where they get together and just talk about the movie (as opposed to having any particular format or organization).

http://thecinemasnob.com/2011/10/15/reviews-trespass-and-the-thing-2011.aspx

The Langoliers comment was cold... but having seen footage of both movies I'm not sure it was inaccurate. I can understand why they don't like the movie, they go in an really talk about bits that stood out and what they feel betrayed the Carpenter movie.
Edited by NWV, Feb 3 2012, 02:59 PM.

TrentonFella
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Feb 2 2012, 08:50 PM
I watched The Thing(2011) earlier this evening in HD as an "on demand" movie rental through my cable provider. I liked the movie overall but I did NOT like it nearly as much as the 1982, John Carpenter directed film of the same name.

What I liked about the "prequel" movie:

1. Mary Elizabeth Winstead who, wearing a minimal amount of makeup, still looks terrific. tongue-2

2. one scene where the alien creature's method of absorbing a person is delved into in greater detail

3. the design of the creature while it was out in the open and battling the station members: I liked how the design retained a lot of the grotesque elements of the '82 film but was also a little different as well

4. the reveals of the exterior and interior of the spaceship

What I didn't like:

1. the interactions between the characters were more predictable and the characters themselves seemed much less interesting than those in the '82 movie

2. I agree with gvamps' disdain regarding the CGI effects. Were they really bad? I would say no but they also could have looked a lot better as well, in my opinion

3. the inconclusive fate of the character "Kate Lloyd"(played by Mary Winstead). I would have preferred a more defined ending for this character than what was shown which a viewer watching this film might interpret as she eventually freezes to death or manages to escape to the Russian station 50 miles away... ? huh?

Anyone who really likes the '82 "Thing" film will probably like this one as well but, I suspect, not as much as the John Carpenter directed movie. I'll pick up the 2011 "prequel" on DVD but only because I'm such a huge fan of the '82 movie. winky
The more reviews I read about this movie the more I believe it's best that I just watch the movie myself. Every review has been a mixed bag. DVD rental it is!
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
SPOILER alert in this post so for anyone who hasn't seen The Thing(2011) you may want to avoid reading this post which is based on my second viewing of this film, in HD. I wanted to watch the movie again before my two day rental(w/A T & T U-Verse) expired(tomorrow AM).

Having watched The Thing(2011) a second time I have a few additional comments and questions for the inspection of our member community. I will endeavor to put any plot spoilers in "spoiler" brackets.

Some questions based on my second viewing of the 2011 prequel movie:

Spoiler: click to toggle

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

gvamp
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Lee to answer your questions

NWV
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Feb 3 2012, 10:23 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard enough about it that there aren't any spoilers left.

As for the spaceship question:

As for the true form question:

I don't think that this thing actually HAS a true form. The whole point of the alien is that it can absorb living creatures to take their shape, and that it can also turn others into copies of itself, right? So this thing, which is everything it ever ate mixed up in a blender when it ISN'T hiding, essentially multiplies by copying itself onto others.

The design of the creature seems like it's meant to vary from scene to scene and from specimen to specimen.

Now, as for what the VERY FIRST one of these things must have looked like... well, who knows? I can only assume that in order to sustain itself, it needed these powers and consequently didn't spend very long in it's original form.
Edited by NWV, Feb 5 2012, 03:06 AM.

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
packmule
Feb 2 2012, 08:50 PM
G2Kmaster
Feb 2 2012, 08:06 PM
As for my getting of this film, IDK
This sentence hurts my eyes. loco2

Instead of "as for my getting of this film", a more reasonably constructed sentence might read:

"as for me buying this film" or

"as for my buying this film"

Something to think about, Evan. winky
I'll give it some thought ;)

My advice to the rest of you though, go ahead and go to your local video store. They should be switching around posters by now, which means a certain poster can be yours.

I made the walk to my local video store and scored this for free:
Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7th poster I have gotten from my local video store, with the others being SOLITARY MAN, MY SOUL TO TAKE, DEATH RACE 2, AVATAR, AVATAR: EXTENDED VERSION, CLOVERFIELD.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have downsized these images because the original images you posted, Evan were causing board "page bulge". In the future, do me a favor and either post very large images as clickable "thumbnails" using ImageShack or simply downsize these images before posting them here. An image with no more than 500 pixels in width is the limit a board page can display without any "bulge". winky

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

G2Kmaster
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Will do, though for the record, my browser showed no bulge.
Edited by G2Kmaster, Feb 8 2012, 05:02 PM.
Posted Image

packmule
Member Avatar
Ready for Freddy
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
John Carpenter's "The Thing...The Musical?":

loco2

Posted Image
Packmule's Pen

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · '80's sci-fi/horror · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Packmule's Pen

Theme Godzillica Created by .Xynic. exclusively for Monsterland Forums
Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved