Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Thurian Continent: Conan D20 RPG Site.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New Changes to Forum:; What is New.
Topic Started: Apr 28 2013, 10:24 PM (927 Views)
Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What is New in Thurian

At present I working at complying the Spells from each sourcebook, it is a chore with 340 different spells to copy, but I feel that having them in one place; in one location is more organized.

I have done a quick edit of
'Spellbooks of Thurian,' thread and have added the numbers of spells within each book. Also added OGL Barbaric Sorcerer to the list and two adventure campaigns which have spells within, but I kept out as it was not easy accessible for Players, but now feel GMs should receives this abundance of knowledge they deserve.

Link to Thread: Spell List:

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
What is New:

As I slowly work at Spells for the "Scrolls of Skelos," I have been searching for hidden spells and have found quite a few hidden in some of Vincent N. Darlage's work and also Thulsa's, but in doing so I notice many other things. Monsters, Magic Items and realised I over the years have collect a mass of knowledge on the Conan RPG.

So, "What is New," is a horde of Undead, Demons, Creatures, Beast, Ghouls and a abundance of other horrors.

New Spells from the sinners Priest of Zath in Yezud, from the 'Wizard,' Thulsa which is actually a new Sorcery Style called “Arachnomancy” and Sorcerous Feats.

The New Sorcery Style is restricted to Worshippers of Zath, but knowing the greed, and frantic desperation for Knowledge of the Wizards, Sorcerers and Shamans of the world of Thurian, that will not last for long.

I also doing a slow study of spell casting a special Sorcerous Abilities to see just how powerful some spells are and if they need a new rule added or taken away. I not sure whether to leave as is or change in list, but if I do change, I will tell People that it has been done and what was changed and what was removed, plus reasons why.

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
New Sorcery Style

Spider Magic

The New Sorcery Style; Spider Magic has been created. Stolen from the Zath Cultists and now freely disperse around Thurian. Still I am sure it will need some editing later, but not much, I will explain about changes here or in Wizard's Tower when these changes happen.

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Catacombs of Hyboria

Had not added Feats (which I knew were there, but I did not add to Feat Index).

* Slow progress with spell list as to much of same thing is no fun, but will return to it soon.

I have had a mass of stored stuff I download, mostly from Mongoose and attempting to organise it and place it into "Thurian Continent;" bit by bit, so my placing of things may look sporadic and random, but on my Computer, it worse (joke). It is getting organised, so am attempting to place what I think is important (which a lot of it is) in site quickly without exhausting myself (which just happened and I need rest, feel better now).

In fact the way things are going, in years to come, this site will contain every scenario, New Feats, Spells, Weapons and a great mass of things, I can find useful for in-gameplay, so onward to future before next cataclysm comes!

"CROM!"

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Added Sorcery Styles to Mysteries

Scroll down list to see the four new added Sorcery Styles.

Gladr Magic, Hamfarir Magic, Runic Magic and Vándr Witchcraft.

* Now 393 spells in total, though spell like Ill-Fortune are duplicates as they in two different Styles, but this is happening a lot in New Sorcery Styles now!

I add then to Scrolls of Skelos soon; I had for 1st in about a year internet connection problems, but it seems to have stop stalling at moment (was having difficulty posting).

These Styles do not have Defensive Blasts YET!

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Nordheimer New Sorcery Styles

Meant to mention, that I have changed more than I wanted for the four styles above in last post, though think they are well done by Daz and have enjoyed them as they were. But also the extended or revised spells that I have converted to Hyborian Age mentality have been about 14% changed from originals.

Examples:

Galdr:
Uses only Vocal components. The word means "chanting," so think it suits.

New Defensive Blast.

Runic: Daz had material for components, I changed to Focus, example the rune item carved onto.

Added vocal to the Luck runes as he has to state his intent for rune and believe he would speak out loud or say a prayer!

Also; some name changes of spells, but noticeable.

Hamfarir: Few name changes. New Defensive Blast, but not much else, oh yeah, using Knowledge (Nature) instead of Survival Skill.

Dream of Beasts: Needed prerequisite spell Interpret Dreams, I create this spell for this spell, again placed it within "New Spell," thread in Wizard's Tower.

Bones of life: Removed Raised Dead spell, was not sure if Daz meant Raise Corpse, or had other plans. I noticed in one Norse Saga, how Odin took the head of a person, embalmed it (to preserve it forever) and then cast what I thought was a Speak to Dead spell which of course in Necromancy! So maybe he did mean Raise Corpse! I may change in future to replace the Raise Corpse spell if Odin did indeed cast a Necromancy spell (which he did)!

Vándr Witchcraft: Has been changed a bit, Woe spells are greatly enhance, why, they look good! Gives them more character. Also New Defensive Blast.

Added Focus component to Dull Blades spells.

Daz had added Seithr Eyes as a prerequisite spell for Nithigr Bones, I presume he was attempting a Spa Divination type Style and stop making it. So used Shamanic (Trance) Ecstasy instead!

Think that is most of it.

As stated in Runic Magic; I will not create a Runic Defensive Blast, it not suit it.

Also think, which is common sense, if a Scholar took Runic Magic at 1st level, that when he take another Sorcery Style at 2nd level Scholar, that he can receive a Defensive Blast with his second style!

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]

Within the iron-shod tomes of Skelos the spells seem to mystically appear, as if from the thin air, slowly writing themselves onto the pages of Human and Demon skins, as if scribed there by an invisible hand!

400 Spells have been reached with the creation of the New Spell Sacrifice of the Blood Eagle a Blood Witchery Spell.

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ignore last post

The truth was I miss-counted decimals in two column and in fact it was 420, but now it 421. Still some spells are duplicated in various Sorcery Styles; like the Serpent Magic's Snakeshift is become beast and Animal Ally is Nature Magic's Animal Ally, with few changes. But guess even variant spells are new spells in their own right!

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
431 Spells and Counting

I just adding the Nature Magic after a long absence form from my normal working on this forum.

So a few things to mention...

I am not a great believe in work that state Child/Children as a title, I can only think I can perceive a bunch of six years olds playing in a school yard, so they have been remove...

Words like spawn, progeny, creature will be used in future, but spell should remain the same.

Also I not a great believer in XP usage for any kind of Summoning spells. Experience represents, well Experience. Every time a summoner casts the spell, he is been drain of what he has learn over his life time, might as well reduce his Intelligence and Wisdom scores. Also for Nature Magic, most time a summon beast is hit, it runs away, not a very useful aid. Best just learning Entangle spell, buy a bow and hide behind a tree and shoot them with arrows. I added the XP note, but personally would not use it in my games.

If there has to be a penalty, lose of Con, or hp (especially with Demons or Great Ghost Snakes, but hence why sacrifices are used as Shaman or Sorcerer can make the sacrifice victim take the pain and not him), which can regenerate in time, but personally I would allow for a wolf to come galloping in, get hit on the nose and gallop off in space of 6 seconds and penalise a Character for attempting the task. I just cannot imaging any person bothering with such a spell, and if so, be content with it.

Snake Arrow:
This spell should also be in Serpent Magic (obviously), I will add some day, but sure folks know this.

Last, plenty of summon swarms spells with varied perception of how it should be done. Best GM make the choice for themselves and adapt. also in 2nd Edition rules (in Bestiary of Hyborian Age; Page: 165), about Swarms, it states that small and medium creature swarms do not exist, but in Across the Thunder River, there is small and medium size viper swarms, and it mention (giving hints to) an abundance of varied swarm type including other flying types also (Thunder River; Page: 138).

So do the best you can, I just copy and change a few things, but leave most, the spells are there for your enjoyment, change to suit yourself and your game, not the other way. :)

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Spell Links:

Just added a link from each spell to the "Scrolls of Skelos," Forum.

See: Index in "Mysteries of Skelos," Forum.

Note:
Of course not done Necromancy, Oriental Magic and Summoning as the spells have not been added yet.

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well At last:

Oriental Magic is done, I tried to finish Empires Mass Combat and it near next on my to do list, but theory is who knows when it will get done, not making any promises. It probably best I not tell what I do and keep it a surprise! :)

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
New Spells

That four new spells, total 438, 3 Curses, 1 Necromancy, which brings it's total to an even 50.

Click Here:

I added to the Sorcery Style lists Here:

Sorting old PbP spells I created, plus yeah, Gelid Bones, not actually how it happens in Howard's novel as the bodyguard literally turns into a blub and dies, so Melt Bones is to represent this power!

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Old and New Maps:

Few changes to Shem Map:

Notice on Shem maps that Kyros "y" was kinda faded, so redid both, you can download new map at the original post (link been redone).

Here:

Slight Change to Ophir Regional Map:

City Leucta, from Conan the Bold by John Maddox Roberts, added to the plain region of Kalagari province, next for you Kintire, I added Medallia, that Joris is Lord of from our PbP (The Chronicles of Nemedia) in the east in Vendishan's province in east.

Under Ophir New Map...

Here:

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Sorcery Styles Finished

At last they are finished with a little help from D20 PDF files I got from Kickstarter by Modiphius an Co.

Necromancy spells have some changes, but not many....

Eternal Warrior:
I redid Khitai spell "Eternal Warrior," slightly, it seemed lacking, plus, spell mention a Monster in that books Bestiary and it was not there as an example of an Eternal Warrior. So, I created one myself, stating spell could create only a Medium-sized statues. Still in most Chinese tombs, clay terracotta horses were made, but a GM may consider allowing such a Monster while using the spell with a higher PP cost or just create a new spell. I added only a +2 Str and another +1 Str for 4 HD and the proficiency with one weapon to the Eternal Warrior. Hardness is lower than most animation as Clay not as sturdy as wood for DR 2.

Black Plague and Greater Black Plague: Just added a Chance for Runaway Magic, think it deserves it!

Greater Legion of the Dead: Basically, I redid a hashed Legion of the Dead, as it had giving a +10 MAB, instead of a +4 in earlier sourcebooks, so why not a Greater spell? The spell can only be used by a 20th level Scholar, so it deserves to be rare and potent.

Well basically that it (I think), I started the Skelos tome in April 2013, so it taken well over 3 years to do, giving the other stuff I working at and it good to get one task finished with!

Good Casting...

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Slight Error:

Redid Temptress Power draining, I did not add Perform (Ritual) modifier to the final stage and an opposing Sense Motive modifier to the victim's roll; think it looks better now.

Here:

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Who Released the Wild Animal in the Caravan District

Somehow I had thought I had removed the Escaped wild animal in Caravan District Chart.

Replaced PDF to represent my true intent; the escape wild animal is on the unique chart!

Here:

Enjoy

Redid River System: (small error) be plying instead of be ply?!? what can you do?

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well this is an upgrade, not sure about that, notice a few features that are worse that previous Invision site. Still had no choice, and it is free, so no complaining!

I planning on changing, what they call the 'skin,' of the page later. I not a computer expect by any concept of the word, but will be attempting to change the skin and other types of symbols on forums went I get the chance! I might try and look for someone to do a Conan plan for page for me, if I lucky to find them!

I am still working at Conan stuff, but mostly for my own pleasure and am slow these days to post stuff, mostly because, there is so many rules, etc. that can be written before there is nothing more to write about. But, NPCs or scenarios are never-ending if nothing else.

My throne is mostly my main goal, though I not actually need to do anything for it other than pay for it and get wood. Had a little problem with wood for statues, but it is not at the carver's house so nearly close to being completed. Thinking a couple of months at most.

« Previous Topic · Forum Issues and Questions: · Next Topic »
Add Reply