Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Thurian Continent: Conan D20 RPG Site.. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Valeria Debate:; "At the NPC's Growth!"
Topic Started: Apr 28 2017, 01:11 PM (42 Views)
kintire
Arch-Magi/Hero-King
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Its an interesting progression for her early life, but I don't think it reflects Valeria as she appears in Red Nails. Depending on what level you see Conan as at the time it is probably better than the Mongoose version, but still downplays her skill I think.

This career history gives her just one year commanding one ship. In Red nails she is introduced as:

Quote:

this was Valeria of the Red Brotherhood, whose deeds are celebrated in song and ballad wherever seafarers gather.

Quote:

She had proved her reckless courage a thousand times in wild battles on sea and land, on the blood-slippery decks of burning war ships, in the storming of walled cities, and on the trampled sandy beaches where the desperate men of the Red Brotherhood bathed their knives in one another's blood in their fights for leadership.

I think that suggests a rather longer career as a captain than a single year
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well yes, I did read these lines and it does not mention she is a captain just that she is recognised, when she flees from Red Otho; If I right (as I did this a few months back and cannot remember what I studied in context of word for word of the story of Red Nails) It does not mention any position she has, for example: she later becomes a mercenary and is just a low level grunt so she could have just been a sailor again!

kintire
Arch-Magi/Hero-King
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I think that for your deeds to be celebrated in song and ballad you need a rather more dramatic career.

I get the impression from Red Nails that she is much more on Conan's level, a famous hero, than most of his sidekicks, although with somewhat less formidable physical stats (though i would push her to 16 STR) and with many of her abilities focussed around piracy and not useful in the jungle. I think this progression is excellent for her on the outset of her career, but I think it would ring better if she had a half dozen more levels before she met Conan.

After all, Conan is just a grunt too!

Nialldubh
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well at it takes Conan along time and I kind of agree with Mongoose stretching his career till he is early 40s before he gets to 20 level; I still think age wise that she still has a few years to go before she at his level.

For if she is in later 20s at 18th level at time of novel; it would seem a little embarrassing that Conan cannot gain levels as fast as her and he only reaches 20th level by his early 40s; so tried to keep it real based on his growth rate!

I also keep the Str low on purpose, females with high strength should look muscle-bond, not lithe and graceful...

Edit: Ah remembered; Howard states Valeria is stronger than the average man.

So; with dice stating 3-18 and average Strength 9-12. I arranged so it worked that she with the growth had Str 13 when she meets Conan.

« Previous Topic · Forum of Comments: · Next Topic »
Add Reply