Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Google has your private information; Internet security
Topic Started: Mar 29 2018, 10:02 AM (151 Views)
Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
I'd taken some effort to encrypt my searches, disable cookies, block algorithm tracking, and disable location info on my phone;
before the facebook scandal.
Then I saw this, and was ASTOUNDED at the volume of info google stores on all of us:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/google-knows-literally-everything-about-you-heres-how-to-delete-that-data/ar-AAvfcHv?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout

I imagine how this info. can be used and abused, and wonder how long until it is hacked too?
There is a way to delete all your info., described in the link.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yep, people need to realize that, anything they put online or, even in a device that connects to the internet, is at risk of losing that information. I deleted my very young Facebook account many years ago, when I saw the direction they were going in. I don't know what that procedure is like now but, back then, it wasn't just a one click kind of thing. You had to apply to them, to have your account deleted, and then, wait for a month, or so, until they complied. Still, even if they do really delete your account, how do you know that for sure? I always get a laugh out of the 'stars' who claim that nude photos of them were stolen and, released to the public. Who the heck keeps nude photos of themselves on a device that connects to the internet? :-)
My Blog1
My Blog2

Jotun
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
Lots of people take and trade nudes online now.

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
You wouldn't happen to have any good shots of a nude Sasquatch, would you?
Edited by NaturalPath, Mar 30 2018, 09:46 PM.
My Blog1
My Blog2

Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
I also deleted my facebook.
I just did an online search for the delete page and followed the link; not hard,
they say it takes 14 days to complete deletion.

Using cell phones on location will leave an electronic trail, so don't use them in sensitive areas.
best to turn them off while on location of activity, usually poor signal anyway.

I had switched from Google searches to 'search encrypt', but as a search engine, it was lousy.
Now switched to 'Startpage', and have 'duckduckgo' as back-up. both are privacy-first search engines that work well.
Startpage does 3rd party searches by proxy server which makes it the # 1 choice.

Also, you'd have increased privacy for your shots of a nude Sasquatch.

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Isn't the point of Facebook to post your personal information online?

I don't see why this is shocking, what did people expect?

Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
Well, that old facebook account was opened for a contest, and laid dormant.
Closing my facebook now was more of a protest. Against what?
I'm a pro-privacy person, and info online that is supposed to be private must stay so:
Credit card #'s when buying online, banking info. when banking online, etc.
It is a contract between you and the faceless online corporation.
If your (anonymous) buying habits were sold by the bank, would that be OK?
We assume it would be a breach of contract, but maybe not.

If you don't read the fine print, you don't know what they may do with your information.
I'm no longer surprised at the endless greed of money-crazed capitalists.
But for their users, Facebook should have made this clear up-front,
but changed their 'privacy' policy later for $50 million.
It appeared as a sell-out. Millions of people feel that they broke an unspoken trust.
At least, a whole new generation is learning about unlimited corporate greed.

Greed is also a main obstacle to the government's admission about the existence of Bigfoot.
That, plus an unspoken trust by many that the government wouldn't conceal such a thing from us.
Assume nothing. Read the fine print.

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
....AND...........Trust No One. I've said this before and, people seem to think that this means you can't even have friends but, that's not the case. You can have all the friends you want but, always keep one eye open. Sure, we shouldn't have to live like that but, unfortunately, it's the way of the world now. You can't build a house close to a lake or,a river, and expect that it will never flood. Turning a blind eye to reality and choosing to live in some utopia fantasy, where bad things never happen is a sure way to get yourself blindsided.
My Blog1
My Blog2

Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
True, it's probably prudent to plan for the worst outcome, especially with the weather.
With people, there seems continually less adherence to any code of ethics.
While it's probably safer not to trust, there are some absolutely trustworthy people out there.
It's hard to go through life without ever getting ripped-off, but not everyone will cheat you.
It's just that people who share our values are harder to find. : )

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Just so you both know, I am completely trustworthy!

Edited by Tim M, Jul 10 2018, 10:23 AM.

Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]

There is another way google is tracking you,
even if you turned off your location information,

but there is a way to turn that off too:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4386516/turn-off-google-tracking-feature/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

Follow the instructions, this is very easy to do,
it doesn't change anything, and it doesn't hurt at all !

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply