Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Very Large Wolf?
Topic Started: Jan 10 2011, 09:09 PM (4,353 Views)
Jason Goldring
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I still trying to source the picture, I have it around somewhere - Tim, I think you might have been the one who took it. It was the very large wolf track chasing after the deer in the clay/mud area of Lacloche, where that 4x4 got stuck, by the old mill.

Posted Image

Maybe you can post the picture or the link, but how large do you think this thing was based on the print? From what I can tell the largest is just over 230 lbs, shot in Alberta. They seem to refer to this wolf as a "black wolf", but I see no real hard evidence showing that it was entirely wild, rather than a bit of hybrid / cross breeding.

http://www.mikehanback.com/blog/index.cfm/...ggest-Wolf-Ever

Posted Image
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I imagine there is a guide online, where we can judge the weight, based on print size.

I will post the prints that I have. Bear, wolf, cougar, etc.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

I think we should have a section just for tracks and descriptions. I will try to do.
Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's a BIG wolf.

I will look for track size/wolf size, ratio chart. There must be one somewhere. If we are dealing with something like that, I want more pepper spray.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

I've heard of some huge Timber wolves in Ontario. I wonder what the record size is?

I have a bit of an issue with someone killing such a beautiful creature for sport. Self defense isn't an issue.

From what I have read 175 lbs was the record. It was a Alaskan Wolf of some nature.
Many people believe it a photoshop kinda deal.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

samsqwecnch
Member Avatar
Resercher
[ *  * ]
Tim Ervick,Jan 11 2011
02:22 PM
I've heard of some huge Timber wolves in Ontario. I wonder what the record size is?

I have a bit of an issue with someone killing such a beautiful creature for sport. Self defense isn't an issue.

From what I have read 175 lbs was the record. It was a Alaskan Wolf of some nature.
Many people believe it a photoshop kinda deal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

thats a huge wolf! My father sent me a email a year ago about this monster grizzly that was killed in alaska. it had pics of the grizzly and if it wear to stand on two legs it was 16ft high. the paw alone was bigger of his head. I will find it and post it.

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

Is this the one?
Posted Image

Posted Image

On a personal note...................I WOULD NEVER GO IN THE BUSH AGAIN!...........EVER.
Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I won't post the photo of it's last meal, but that is human blood on the snout.
― Stuart Chase

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

I completely agree. Nasty!
Quote Post Goto Top

chingaso
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
Last deer season early October, near Fenelon Falls Ontario a Timber Wolf was shot and weighed on a digital scale in the hunters garage used for weighing deer... it topped out at exactly 200lbs... I believe the guy who told me this as I spoke to another hunter that was there the following day... the wolf was still hanging on the scale and a group of neighbors were taking pictures... the scale still read 200lbs..... yikes!
Never whistle in the woods at night, unless you want company!

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That is big. The average large dog weighs about 75 lbs.
I have not seen a large wolf in the wild, so assumed that they were about the size of a Malamute, which averages 95lbs for a male. I can see where trappers get concerned when wolves are around.
― Stuart Chase

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

Well I learn something everyday. I had no idea that Timberwolves were that far south.
I guess it could of been a lone wolf maybe? Has anyone seen anymore in that area since?

I think I'm going to start a data map of all sightings whether they be Cougars, wolf and unknown or unexplained critters.
Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If witnesses could make a note of coordinates, it would make the location plotting a lot easier.
― Stuart Chase

chingaso
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
That big wolf was shot exactly at the end of Sturgeon Point..right beside the lake near Fenelon Falls.
Never whistle in the woods at night, unless you want company!

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Perfect. That's easy to find. Sturgeon Point is at 44° 28.621'N, 78° 42.185'W.

I think Tim is going to combine cougar, wolf, etc., onto one map.

So, the description can be from chingaso's post. That is our first official big wolf report. The ones above do not count as they are not in Ontario. But they are still interesting.
― Stuart Chase

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Strange & Unusual · Next Topic »
Add Reply