Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gun Control
Topic Started: Jun 17 2013, 10:00 PM (877 Views)
Jason Goldring
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
(Posted in expedition equipment as per the relevance of firearms possibly being part of your trip for protection)

How many of you did firearm training in a program, like army cadets?

I find it mind-blowing that they wont even recognize that as a qualification for a PAL, even though the VERY FIRST thing they taught was firearm safety.

And while in cadets, I applied for and received a FAC. Bought a few rifles. Since then I have sold them off, FAC lapsed and now I am told that I have to redo the whole thing - the course, etc....to get a PAL and be able to purchase and maintain a firearm.

Do you forget how to drive a car? A far larger projectile, yet they test you when you are 16 and again when you are 80.

Unbelievable.
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

m-stu
Unregistered

Jason Goldring,Jun 17 2013
10:00 PM
(Posted in expedition equipment as per the relevance of firearms possibly being part of your trip for protection)

How many of you did firearm training in a program, like army cadets?

I find it mind-blowing that they wont even recognize that as a qualification for a PAL, even though the VERY FIRST thing they taught was firearm safety.

And while in cadets, I applied for and received a FAC. Bought a few rifles. Since then I have sold them off, FAC lapsed and now I am told that I have to redo the whole thing - the course, etc....to get a PAL and be able to purchase and maintain a firearm.

Do you forget how to drive a car? A far larger projectile, yet they test you when you are 16 and again when you are 80.

Unbelievable.

I just redid mine (originally took hunter safety in 91). I was pretty pissed too. Courses have to be booked months in advance, and cost a lot...but easier to pass now. Instructor told me they are designed so a 12 year old could pass. I shoulda just challenged...but it was nice to get 100%/100%
Quote Post Goto Top

Jason Goldring
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes. Strange stuff that goes on in the governments mind. I am quite sure ( and anyone, please correct me if I am wrong) that the PAL/ POL licensing has not changed gun violence.

Or was it supposed to? Oh wait - they abolished the gun registry but still have these licensing rules in place. So beyond that, the kid who breaks in your house, steals your gun and shoots someone, it will just make it harder to implicate you as the owner (fail), second, the importation of much of the firearms are cross border, obviously not registered.

Mind you, I can buy a crossbow license-free. Quiet. Short range but heck, does the job if a bear pokes it nose out and starts charging at you. (However, it would probably only ever do that if you were by the den).

I guess it is a security thing. What can you carry to make you be safe? Bear Spray, no-brainer, but what else?

I got onto this firearm thing because of a conversation I had with a fellow earlier today, he said that Toronto had (or still has) an amnesty to call in firearms and they would send officers to your home to pickup your weapons. He was nudged by his wife to get rid of a old wall-mounted civil war rifle that did not even function but he did so. Pulling it off the wall he felt jaded. "It was just an art piece, nothing more" as he put it.
"As long as I stand between the sun and my shadow, I guess I am doing well...." -Stuart Adamson

Kite-Squatch
Member Avatar
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
I have avoided mentioning this subject in previous posts, but since this thread IS CALLED “Gun Control”, what is the status of purchasing firearms {handguns, rifles, & shotguns} in Canada, eh?

{Okay, the 'eh?' was meant to be humorous...:)}

BTW, is that not the way your spell the name of your country?

“C - EH? - N - EH? - D - EH?”

;)

And one serious FWLIW: I often ”do not” {versus “don't”} use contractions when posting online. I have come to realize through posting on the HORRIBLY ADDICTIVE 'BOOK OF FACES' :rolleyes: that for some who read your posts, ENGLISH is not their first language. I have one FB friend who lives here in the USA, but is originally from Germany. I have discussed this with her once or twice. I am also on a couple of KAP {Kite Aerial Photography} groups on FB, where the language issue became apparent. I made a comment using some common 'expression' {in English}, but the KAPer who I made it to was European {IIRC} & did not understand.

{WTF - this post STARTED OUT as a question about Gun Control...:blink: }

:P

Floyd: "How do you feel?"
Curnow: "Ugh. Like shit."
Floyd: "That's about right."
-- 2010 [1984]

bigmoe99
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
Jason,

You dont have to take the course over, you can challenge the exam and as long as you have a good understanding of firearms safety, you should be ok. I hold both my cfsc and my crfsc and I challenged for both. The twenty years in the military probably helped a bit.h

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, the 20 yrs in the military most likely helped. I get pissed off when government imposes regulations, not with common sense, but more of a way of covering their asses. Gun control is a good example. I sold my guns when the billion dollar registry came into effect.

The boating course is another joke. I don't have it. I am waiting to be stopped, and written up, so I can make some noise. I have Canadian Power & Sail Squadron certifications, that pre-date the Boating Certificate. Each one of my three boating certificates involved 20 hours each, or something like that. One can purchase the Ontario Boating Ticket for $20, without any tuition. It is a joke. It was created to cover the government's ass, because teenagers were killing each other on jet skis. One needs a boating certificate to paddle a canoe.

FYI. Under the regulations, if one has a boating safety certificate, that is dated before 1990, (Ontario), one does not need the new Boating Certificate. That date will vary by province, or state.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

dlaw
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
Fortunately, I live in one of the southern states of the US, and have a concealed carry permit that enables me to carry a concealed firearm just about anywhere. I believe that all states now issue such a license. With the increased concealed carry laws in place, violent crimes have actually decreased. To me, gun control is about control.

Kite-Squatch
Member Avatar
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
dlaw
Mar 8 2014, 01:40 AM
Fortunately, I live in one of the southern states of the US, and have a concealed carry permit that enables me to carry a concealed firearm just about anywhere. I believe that all states now issue such a license. With the increased concealed carry laws in place, violent crimes have actually decreased. To me, gun control is about control.

Yeah, what dlaw said....
Floyd: "How do you feel?"
Curnow: "Ugh. Like shit."
Floyd: "That's about right."
-- 2010 [1984]

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Basic Expedition Equipment · Next Topic »
Add Reply