Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trask Backpack Found; Update on missing Daniel Trask
Topic Started: Aug 30 2013, 05:28 AM (1,979 Views)
Shawn1973
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
According to: www.nugget.ca/2013/08/28/trask-backpack-found

The backpack of missing Daniel Trask has been found near a marshy section of Diamond Lake in Temagami.

After almost two years since the 28-year-old from Waterloo went missing in the Temagami back-country, the Trask family still remains hopeful they will recover their loved one's body.

“It looked like the bag had been there for a while. Vegetation was starting to grow around the straps,” said Maureen Trask, Daniel's mother.

“We still don't know how it got there. It's a mystery. Was it dropped off, did someone put it there or did it float there?”

Maureen Trask credits the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue Volunteer team for the discovery on Aug. 12. The Trask family learned about it the following day.

Pictures were taken and the Ontario Provincial Police was called in to investigate.

It didn't take long for the Trask family to confirm it is Daniel's bag and belongings.

“As soon as we saw the painted steer's skull we knew it was Daniel's. We checked his bedroom just to make sure and in fact the skull which was given to him was gone,” Maureen said Tuesday evening.

“It was a steer skull with horns with a painted eagle on it. We really didn't think he had anything of sentimental value with him and why he took that is a total mystery.”

She said the bag affirms that her son was in the area, but why it landed there is unknown.

“We believe he was walking the shoreline because of where the bag was found. It looks like he was headed north maybe to the caves or to Maple mountain,” Trask said. “But we're not going to get answers until we get a physical sign.”

The bag also contained a blue rope, a pair of Atlas 9.25 dark aluminium snowshoes, grey underwear and birch bark at the bottom of the bag. A carabiner flashlight and a small compass was attached to the outside.

Trask said the bag was located about five kilometres north of where her son's winter jacket and snow pants were found in May 2012.

“We always thought we were in recovery mode. Logically without his winter clothes, he had to perish,” she said.

“People say once you find him you will have closure, but there's no such thing as closure. The heartache will always be there.”

Trask went missing on Nov. 3, 2011. His car was found on Red Squirrel Road near Camp Wanapitei at Ferguson Bay after he was reported missing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Maple Mountain Hiking Tail, is where the teenage girl was taken. We have not been able to get a date, but it was years ago. Her companion was behind her, and heard her scream. No trace was ever found.

If anyone knows more details, please share them here.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Tim Ervick
Unregistered

It's nice to see we still have searchers out there looking for any signs of Daniel. He needs to be found and brought home to his family. Diamond Lake seems to be ground zero for any search.

When I was in Temagami on the extended expedition I kept my eyes open for any signs of Daniel but with no luck. I also was about 20 k West of Diamond Lake. I guess it doesn't matter where you are in Temagami it's always a good thing to keep your eyes open and be prepared for the unexpected.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shawn1973
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone heard more about where the backpack was found? The article said the bag was located about five kilometers north of where her son's winter jacket and snow pants were found in May 2012, and some articles are suggesting it was actually located south.

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Peter, what teenage girl are you referring to?
Do you have her name?

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tim M, there is an old report of a missing person from years ago. It involved two teenage girls hiking to a fire lookout. One girl had to have a bathroom stop and while she was in the trees or behind some trees she heard a gut wrenching squeal and returned to the spot where her friend was waiting. She was unable to find her friend. A massive search was conducted without success and she was even accused of possibly hurting her friend. The girl was never found. This seems to be a common occurrence in this area! No blood or indications of dragging were found. It appears that the girl was carried away. If a predator was involved, there should have been some signs of blood, and dragging. Most predators will attack the head, or neck. There would be some blood evidence.

This information was obtained from the witness of a sasquatch encounter. We have tried to source the incident, without success so far. There should be police reports on all the missing person incidents in this area, and there probably are, but our inquiries would indicate that this happened when reports were on hard-copy, and not in a computer database. A member of
http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php tried to source the file, without success.

When we returned to the witness of our sasquatch encounter, to try and get more information, he/she was unable to add any further information.

I searched all the fire towers in the area. There are only two, still existing, that would be possible. The Temagami Tower, is close to town, so that makes Maple Mountain, with a hiking trail, the most likely. This is not far from where we have a couple of sasquatch sighting reports, and also where Dan Trask's belongings were found, particularly his backpack last week.

Perhaps someone reading this, may have more information, particularly what year this happened. Once we know the year, approximately, we may be able to request the police report.

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Shawn1973
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
In the past we have discussed the possibilities of a Sasquatch attacking a vulnerable human on this forum. Do we think this is possible?

Every primate in the world is competitive over territory of other primates and most will take advantage of the opportunity to kill another species. I guess to some degree, the history of humans has not really been that much different instinctively.

The following short video shows how species of mammals that posses a higher level of intelligence are more likely to use their brain to kill other primates, including their own species.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPznMbNcfO8

puroman1
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
I hope they find him so his family can have closure.
I guess im not as care free in my middle years of life.

I can't imagine going alone in the summer to any
northern areas where you can easily get lost.You
really have to plan and be prepared and know what
your doing.

Doing this trek in winter months is that more risky.
I will play it safe myself and only do it with a partner
or group.

I have managed to find a few ghost towns and almost
got lost doing this.Even with gps and technology
nature can still do us in.

Shawn1973
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Puroman1, can you tell us about the ghost towns you found? We had a thread on here not long ago regarding Ontario ghost towns. I personally find it interesting to hear about Ontario ghost town adventures.

find.dan
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
Shawn1973,Aug 31 2013
08:57 AM
Has anyone heard more about where the backpack was found? The article said the bag was located about five kilometers north of where her son's winter jacket and snow pants were found in May 2012, and some articles are suggesting it was actually located south.

The article in the North Bay Nugget incorrectly said Daniel's back pack was found 5km north of where his winter clothing were found. It should say 5km SOUTH of his winter clothing.

An evidence scatter map shows all items found to date, on the MibSAR websitem along with search plans and results: http://www.tinyurl.com/DanielTrask

Note that nothing more was found in 2014.
New Briefs and updates by me (Daniel's Mom), are being posted on Ottertooth Temagami ForumL
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/News/newsbriefs-151.htm#ju10

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi Trasker

Thanks for the update. I am sorry that your quest has not been successful. The weather this season was not good at all, so your teams were fortunate to have good weather in May.

I checked our own map, and we have the back pack south of the winter clothing. I also just saw the MiBSAR map with UTM coordinates. I will update our map.

OWFR Map. These points are 5km apart
Snow Pants & Jacket 47° 13.634'N 80° 13.157'W
Backpack 47° 11.468'N 80° 10.546'W

I have re-posted your information to an ongoing thread at our other forum.
― Stuart Chase

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I found this poster while following the links in find.dan's post.
I have also posted it to FB. Please share it around.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Trask_Search.jpg (190.04 KB)
― Stuart Chase

Moe From The Himalayas
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
What a sad story. I can't believe I just found out about this. I live near this young man's family. Condolences to the family and rest in peace to the young man's soul.

From what I gather from reading from the various websites and articles, is that he went up north to Temagami in winter, and they slowly started finding his winter clothes a year+ later. Since the clothes aren't ripped up or anything to indicate any animal attack, I am reluctant yet firm in my belief we are dealing with an unknown or paranormal phenomenon. Nobody strips off their winter clothing out in the bush like that, neither would any murderer or some professional criminal. Something inquisitive and curious had its way with the poor lad. Saddens, frightens and emboldens me all at the same time. We need to put an end to this.

Moe From The Himalayas
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
Please watch this video regarding how our own laws are keeping missing persons missing.

Hoping to Change Laws: Daniel Trask Case

Michaelp416
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
Moe From The Himalayas,Jan 19 2015
11:36 PM
What a sad story. I can't believe I just found out about this. I live near this young man's family. Condolences to the family and rest in peace to the young man's soul.

From what I gather from reading from the various websites and articles, is that he went up north to Temagami in winter, and they slowly started finding his winter clothes a year+ later. Since the clothes aren't ripped up or anything to indicate any animal attack, I am reluctant yet firm in my belief we are dealing with an unknown or paranormal phenomenon. Nobody strips off their winter clothing out in the bush like that, neither would any murderer or some professional criminal. Something inquisitive and curious had its way with the poor lad. Saddens, frightens and emboldens me all at the same time. We need to put an end to this.

I completely agree, Moe. I happen to be more and more of the opinion we are not dealing with something so cut and dried as an "undiscovered primate". Indeed, I believe there is something very supernatural at play....perhaps with the ability to not only camouflage itself, but perhaps flit into and out of a physical state at will. Or maybe not. But I am more and more of the opinion we are dealing with something malicious and very very good at covering its tracks/evidence....and extremely swift in its attack.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply