Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Sighting near Huntsville
Topic Started: Dec 17 2013, 11:41 PM (3,278 Views)
Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello all. I was encouraged to post this so here I go..

I would like to share my experience regarding my personal sighting. I will try to be as detailed as possible without being boring so bear with me... .

Sighting: 15-20 feet
Duration: Aprox two minutes total
Time: Early morning, daybreak
Season: Summer

I am from Michigan. We went to this cabin our family friends owned in Huntsville. Our group consisted of two adult women and four children. I was 12 at the time. If you Google map the local, you will see that it is surrounded by hundreds of miles of timber and undeveloped land.

This cabin set empty all year round unless occupied briefly by our family friend and or their guests. Aprox 100 feet from the cabin door stood the beautiful lake. The entire area was surrounded by old growth forest and there wasn't a neighbor within 10-20 miles. Town was roughly 15 miles away so we were secluded. We arrived late night, took in our gear and slept. Upon seeing the light of day, I hurriedly gathered my little tackle box and fishing pole and headed out the door towards the lake. I was excited to fish, being from the city I didn't get to fish often. Everyone else in the cabin was still asleep so I estimate the time around 6:00 6:30.

As I walked down the path towards the lake, with the cabin at my back.. I experienced the most powerful sensation of being "watched" I have to this day ever felt. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. It was so pervasive, I instinctively turned around fully expecting to see someone directly behind me! I turned and looked, the path behind me was empty.. but my attention was immediately drawn to the large boulder that jutted out of the ground ( approximately 6-7 feet out of the ground) next to the cabin. That's when I saw it... its was peeking out from the side of the boulder!

Now mind you.. Ive camped up North in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan all my life. I have seen bears, wolverines, bobcats and all kinds of creatures. This was different. I stood there and just stared at what I can only explain as a large dark face with big shiny eyes staring at me. It moved slightly behind the rock, maybe hoping I hadn't seen it. Oh but I did.. it peeked back out and stayed that way for a minute.. probably wondering what I was going to do next. I held my ground, I wanted to see what this thing was!!! The forest line was about 20-25 feet away on all sides so it wasn't gonna slip away easy. It must have realized that as well, because no soon did I think that.. it just stood straight up.

The top of the boulder came to about the top of its stomach. Its chest, shoulders, head and easily cleared it. I estimate it between 8-9 feet tall! It was massive! Its head looked small in comparison to its shoulder width. They had to be about 4-5 feet across. Heavily muscled yet lean. The hair wasn't very long, maybe 4-5 inches all over. Dark brown. The face was human looking. It reminded me of an aborigine, like from Australia. Hair covered except around the eyes. The skin was a medium gray color. It had a very pronounced conical shaped head with the hair extending all the way to brow ridge. Eyes were black and shiny. I could see them move as he looked me over. Mouth/lips wide and thin.

And there we were... neither of us moved for about 20-30 seconds. I think we were both in shock. Amazingly, I was not afraid at all at that moment! I did not feel threatened nor was its posture aggressive. Its did not make and sounds.. or show its teeth... just stared. Then, it just turned... without taking its eyes off me, and took three steps and it was in the timber line. Its "steps" were weird and very long. It kinda hopped-stepped, while swinging its arms. It cleared open grass to that tree line in a split second.. but the way it walked and swung its arms looked like slow motion. Graceful, yet weird. As it went into the forest, it started breaking branches, trees it sounded like as it made its way deeper into the woods. That was the only time I was scared. It sounded like it was tearing the whole forest down in there. Wood was snappin and cracking like gun shots it was so loud. In retrospect.. I think it was doing that so I wouldn't follow it... and I didn't!!!! I ran back up to the cabin and woke my Mom up and told her what I saw. There was no misidentifying that! It was Bigfoot!! I will never forget that encounter.. and I remember it as if it was yesterday. Thanks for reading my sighting.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jamie
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
This sighting happened in 1980. This is a picture he drew and posted on FB.
"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. We'll all end up blind and hungry".

Me

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks Jamie. That's a good sketch.
Do you have a link to the FB page?
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Jamie
Member Avatar
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigfootbeli...28811653914861/
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=628...&type=1&theater
He also redrew his picture. Higher cheeck bones and wider chin.
"An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. We'll all end up blind and hungry".

Me

squatchinaround
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
I spend quite a lot of time in this area Had a cottage on grass lake rd just outside of Kearney and burks falls. I camp regularly off of forest tower rd. and fish all the creeks around the area, I know it intimately. I am confident that something other than the usual animals are in the area, it is hard woods to traverse through and a lot of swamps and bogs. Also it is a monsterously huge expanse of land. I have narrowed down a few spots that look good for searching including the creek I did find a foot print in, if there are any hardy souls out there that are interested let me know, just remember the land is tough and the bugs are brutal

Lisa
Unregistered

Growing up I went up to my parents' cottage just about every weekend year round. This cottage was about 15 minutes from Kearney on Sand Lake and I completely agree with you about there being something in that area. My niece and I would often take walks down the gravel road our cottage was on, we'd walk to a rock that was about 5 minutes from the cottage. It sat on the side of the road where the road forked, one direction leading to our cottage the other to a bridge over a river and the cottages beyond. The spot where the rock was only had two cottages near it at the time and both places were always very quiet. We would sit on that rock for hours talking to each other, laughing etc but many, many times I always had the sensation we were being watched. I was only a teenager at the time so there was no internet to share info with therefore I had no idea there were squatches in Ontario so I always attributed that being watched feeling to a black bear. Now that I'm older and have the internet I realize that black bears don't repeatedly come back to the same spot to just watch a couple of humans laugh and talk (I felt this watched feeling at least 80% of the times we went there). I also know there are at least 2 other stories from Rain Lake access road in Kearney on the BFRO website and both of those stories also include people having the sensation that they are being watched.

Recently, I asked my now grown up niece if she ever felt that sensation and she said "Yes, but I didn't want to say anything to you because I didn't want you to think I was chicken". I never mentioned anything at the time because I was enjoying myself and didn't want to freak her out with something that was probably just my imagination. The thing is, even though I brushed it off I always quietly kept an eye open for a black bear, the feelings were THAT strong.

I wish I could turn back time and go back to that place, I wish I could listen more and look for something other than a black bear now that I know these things if they exist, do exist in Ontario and in that very area as well. I may have even heard them at one time but brushed it off as human or known animal sounds.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I too believe that area is more of a hotbed than it's given credit for and would love to hear more experiences from others in this area.
Quote Post Goto Top

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
That's interesting Lisa, and typical of many accounts that we hear. There are one, or two senses at work here. Studies show that well over 50% of humans can detect when they are being watched. The "eyes in the back of your had" is a real feeling. We do not know how this happens, but it certainly does. Infrasound in nature is a well studied subject, and nothing mysterious, just low frequency sound, below human hearing range. There are articles on infrasound here, and a search on the internet will produce much more.

The sense of being watched, may be a mild form of infrasound. We don't know. We do know, and have our own experiences, of defensive infrasound. Several of our investigators and witnesses have been in close proximity to a sasquatch. They became nervous, agitated, and had a need to leave the area immediately. Infrasound is emitted as far as is yet known, as a defensive mechanism in nature. Many animals emit infrasound. It is something we should be aware of when hiking the wilderness.

I will post the thread l when I return on Sunday.

Lisa, please email me at peter.owfr@gmail.com.
― Stuart Chase

Unregistered

Hi lisa spent many a day at or near sand lake, and its nice to know others feel and think the same about the area and its possible inhabitants.

I can remember as a young guy walking the creeks and on the roads and every once in awhile I would get the incredible urge to just run and I would break out the go go gadget legs and I was gone. Never really thought much about it but maybe like peter said possibly infrasound, I cant recall feeling like im being watched but the uncontrollable urge to run was very strong
Quote Post Goto Top

Lisa
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
Guest,Jul 4 2014
08:57 AM

I can remember as a young guy walking the creeks and on the roads and every once in awhile I would get the incredible urge to just run and I would break out the go go gadget legs and I was gone.

That's interesting because as much as I was creeped out by the "being watched" feeling I never felt that we needed to leave. It was more of a creepy feeling rather than a danger feeling, which is weird now that I think about it because you'd think I would feel like running considering I thought it was a black bear watching us. Now that I'm older I'm thinking that was a strange reaction on my part.

squatchinaround
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
My brother and I are going there for a look around real soon can you tell me exactly where you and your niece were sitting. I know the area well so if you describe it I should be able to find it

Lisa
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
No problem! When you are travelling north on hwy 518 turn left onto West Bay Road, travel down it a short way and it forks, to the left is the continuation of West Bay Road and to the right is Rock Point Road. The rock is (or was, not sure if it's still there anymore since this was between 1985/86 - 1991 or so) on the right hand side of the road, across from it is a couple of houses. The left fork leads to a bridge over the river but you can't see it from the fork.

Keep in mind that things probably have changed a lot since then. I haven't been there since 2009, after my dad died my mom sold the house and moved to Huntsville since she doesn't drive (our house which was still a cottage back then, was on the Rock Point portion just up from the gravel pit).

Let me know how it goes for you, take pics if you can, I'm curious about the area more than ever now that I know more about these creatures.

Lisa
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
Btw, just to clarify, when I say we were sitting on a rock in actuality it was more like a large boulder - probably about 3-4 feet in diameter. We always just called it "the rock". It's set back a bit off the road and it's probably overgrown quite a bit now by tall grass if it even still exists.

Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were looking for. :)

RT Dave
Lil' Squirrel
[ * ]
I'm new to this forum, and have IMHO had multiple "encounters" and found evidence of what I now firmly believe was Sasquatch related in the area north of Kearney and east of Sundridge between the late '80's and early '90's. During that time, I spent many weeks every fall sustance hunting deer, moose and small game in that general area. As an avid bow and gun hunter, my big game techniques involved extensive camoflage, cover-scents and concealment, along with many hours spent both sitting and silently stalking. Wild game meat was a necessary staple in our home. My day trips back into the bush were on both posted and public property, and usually pretty remote from roads and residences. Often I'd pass up game because the reality of getting it out had been forgotten in lieu of wondering what was over that next ridge. And when you get into these remote area's you sometimes find the wierdest stuff or have questionable experiences.

In other years, I've hunted and explored remote areas in what is referred to as the Queen Elizabeth wetlands, but I was much younger and not quite so observant. I do remember it being some pretty wild and rugged real estate, with little or no traces of people or property, except for what appeared to be an old short airstrip in the middle of nowhere.
My father referred to it as territory not fit for man or beast, and I remember thinking then was getting there really worth the ultimate duck hunting location. Not a huge distance from Huntsville.

Recently I began watching a few of the "reality" shows on television which answered some questions I have had about odd things I'd seen and experienced. I don't claim to ever actually seeing or recognizing anything I saw as a Sasquatch although I might have and at the time discounted it as the ass end of a departing moose (white-tails give it away every time...LOL) or black bear. But I did find strange "tee-pee" structures, limbs oddly broken at strange angles and heights, experienced unexplained putrid smells, object throwing and heard some pretty strange noises. Especially the year I tried using smoked pork as a cover scent. Sometimes I thought I was surrounded by a herd of bears, but I never found any hoof or claw marked footprints, and wrote it off to small game. Squirrels can make a lot of noise, but I doubt they can wood-knock. Although I also hunted and snowmobiled the area during the winter, I never saw any unexplainable tracks in the snow, but then I didn't go back into the same remote area's.

I had conversations with the MNR about something I found. The MNR biologist discounted it as mistaken identification, and said the eastern cougar doesn't exist in Ontario. Never seen lynx tracks that big, nor one with a tail so long it swished the deep snow it was in. Shame my old Nokia flip phone didn't take pictures. Since then I've ran into the big cats more than once, but that's a whole other issue for discussion.

I don't talk too much to anyone about my "bigfoot encounters", although I think my son and spouse suspect. If I'm allowed an opinion, I think there is a small population which should be recognized at least for protection. They can have either a big or little territory, can if they want hibernate like bears in areas like this, or stay active 12 months in regions that can provide food and warmth. They travel in small family groups, but break away in search of more food or a mate. They want to be left alone, and have done a pretty good job of it, but increasing numbers of trailcams, Go-Pro's and thermal imaging cameras are going to make that more difficult for them. I think it's impossible dispute ALL the existing evidence, reports, pictures and video's, but the world is going to need either a live or unfortunately most probably a dead one to be convinced.

Anyways, yep.....North of Huntsville.......yep......north and southwest of Minden.......yep......west of Algonquin Park.

Lisa
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
Thanks RT Dave!

That's very interesting that you found some wood structures in the area.

As I said in my original post, I wish I could go back in time and look around again but this time with the knowledge I now have. The only thing close to a structure I remember is a large pile of branches that used to be out in a field just off a path that ran beside the gravel pit. If I could see that again I would certainly pay more attention to it but the fact that I can even remember that structure tells me there was something about it that ingrained it into my memory.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Contact Us Items · Next Topic »
Add Reply