Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Water shoes
Topic Started: Oct 16 2017, 01:26 PM (50 Views)
Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Does anyone know of a well made, inexpensive water shoe?

Something under $60 that is lightweight, quick drying and has decent traction.

Would be used in canoes, kayaks and along portage trails.

NaturalPath, I'm looking at you!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
:lol: Well, Tim, to be honest, I've had more than a few soakers, both very recently, and in the past. To me, it's just part of the adventure. :-) My brother brought a pair of what we call, Sheep Shaggers, back from a recent trip to Scotland and, he had them with him on this trip. They are slip on waterproof boots and, they came in real handy. He loves them. However, I'm guessing that you don't want to go so far for something like that. :lol: You might look into scuba diving stuff, they wear these neoprene sock type things that seem like they would work nicely in a canoe but, they're definitely not boots, or shoes. My son is a professional scuba diver, and he operates a scuba diving store in Pickering, ON. I could get info from him, if need be.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. These ones are about $20. on ebay.

Posted Image
My Blog1
My Blog2

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for piping in.

I currently have water socks and I bought them because they've been great in the past for river crossings and rocky shores, etc. Plus they are light and can fold and bend.

Problem is they are NO good for portaging and once they get wet they stay wet! That means I have to where my boots at night at camp. Not the end of the world, but they are heavy and tough. I'm looking for something more mobile, where water can pass in and out easily. Something like the Drainmaker III, but that's very pricey for the amount of times I would use it. I'd like to consider cheaper options first.

It's funny, I soaked my boot the last time I was out and it dried faster than my crappy water socks. Some of them act like a sponge.

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
Yep, I hear what you're saying Tim. I had a look at those Columbia Drainmaker III's that you mentioned and, these are not something that I would use anyways. I guess I'm just settled in my ways, and special purpose things like this just don't appeal to me, or my wallet, all that much. Like I said, I don't really mind getting a soaker the odd time. It's almost a given ritual to be drying our boots by the campfire at the end of a long paddling day. ;)
My Blog1
My Blog2

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
You might be right about that. Thanks for your feedback.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Equipment Reviews & Info · Next Topic »
Add Reply