Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to ONTARIO WILDLIFE FIELD RESEARCH. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Discovering Bigfoot Documentary
Topic Started: Dec 19 2017, 10:35 AM (370 Views)
davidwa
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]

If anyone is interested this is now available on Netflix Canada. This is Todd Standings documentary about his research in Alberta.

Personally, I do not like the way Dr. Meldrum or Dr. Bindernagel were portrayed in this documentary. Mr. Standing consistently talks down to them, trying to use them to add validity to his slightest finding by putting them on the spot in front of the camera in order to have them verify his results. You can see their uneasiness in doing so.

There is no insights into any research really, but there are some very intriguing footage at the very end of the film.

I can appreciate Mr. Standings efforts, especially in trying to attain species recognition in B.C., I just think he should have provided both Dr. Meldrum or Dr. Bindernagel proper screen time to lets their thoughts be known fully.

Opinions on the film or Mr. Standings work in general?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks David.
I do not have Netflix but am interested in seeing the film.
I will post once I get my hands on a copy of it.

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
https://tinyurl.com/y7gt8sgv
My Blog1
My Blog2

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Chris and I watched it last night. A good documentary, and well filmed. We now have a better understanding of who Todd Standing is. He is quite articulate and intelligent. That said, he has some issues. He needs constant reassurance. In asking for confirmation, a "normal" person would say
"Do you agree that ...."
Every time that Todd asked that question, he started with "Do you agree with me that .....". It was quite noticeable.

Drs. Bindernagel and Meldrum were visibly uncomfortable at being urged to agree with Todd. They are correct in agreeing that a particular item "could be", whereas Todd would say, "I know that it is sasquatch".

So an enjoyable documentary, but certainly aimed at promoting that Todd is right, rather than an objective consideration of the evidence at Todd's location.

I have to add that the evidence presented is no more spectacular than the evidence that we have in Ontario, in multiple locations.

Todd's best evidence is the video of the three apples. While many will say that it could have been hoaxed, my impression of Todd is that he is certainly a credible, and dedicated researcher. I think he is also more objective than the image he portrays.
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

davidwa
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]

After watching it again I think my criticism was a bit harsh.

There is a lot of interesting footage and attempts by Mr. Standing to explain what has transpired during his time on site. It is only towards the end of the film where i think his interactions with Dr. Bindernagel could have been handled better. It is apparent that he does respect these two professors.

rubberboots
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
It's funny this thread came up, I actually just watched it the other day when I noticed it under 'new releases'. You can tell Todd is very passionate and excited about his expeditions, but like previously mentioned about his 'I KNOW' statements, I was not personally a fan of his over-confidence (and I didn't exactly care for the footage of him running around like crazy, even if he says it's so he has the same/consistent movement around the creatures all the time). And your shared opinions about how hesitant Dr Meldrum and Dr Bindernagel are accurate. I had a weird feeling about their interviews but couldn't quite put a finger on it until I read this thread. I think that Todd was just trying to show that people with such high regards and education are able to validate and agree with some of his explanations, but I also think he was more concerned with WHAT they said instead of HOW they said it or presented it. Aside from this however, the footage he provides speaks for itself. I feel he may be reaching and speculating at times in the film, but in all, I don't think the clips shown were a hoax. Overall I did enjoy the movie, but I could imagine some people may see his over-confidence and not take the film seriously.

ChristineB
Member Avatar
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
I have only a minor comment re the Documentary, as most have already posted what I too felt about the film. I personally know John Bindernagel and I was taken aback at the footage that in my estimations at times made John look 'old and irrevelent". If anyone has ever been in John's presence he is very passionate and animated when he talks of the existence of Sasquatch. Both books that John has written (especially The Discovery of the Sasquatch) provides all that one needs to take a pure scientific approach and conclusion to the existence of Sasquatch. The evaluating hypotheses process can be concluded that they exist ( by all the relevant evidence to date) but is ignored by the academic scientific community.
The documentary that I want to see is not another man investigating what we already have done and know from experience. I want to see the documentary film that places a panel of scientists & biologists being presented forensic evidence that has been collected and catalogued. This evidence includes everything that we all know( footprints, solid castings, photos and films, and eye witness accounts) along with hair fibres as well as finger prints. Let the "old and irreverent" scientific community ways face the truths that clearly, in this day and age, one should not ignore this evidence and should not be excluded as evidence of existence.
Film documentaries and TV shows that leave the viewer with the age old mystery and inconclusive ideological factor, I have had enough of.
ChristineB

" I believe you shouldn't let too much of yesterday take up today....unless its investigating Bigfoot!"

Peter Smith
Member Avatar
Pathfinder
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Matt Moneymaker had a good opinion of Todd Standing, and his video.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/62529530168...55765642910169/

Quote:

I must restrain myself from commenting on it because I may be doing business with his “publisher“ (in other words, Netflix). I’m afraid that I won’t be able to restrain myself if I actually watch it ... so I haven’t.

I do believe, based on what I’ve heard from several BFRO people, that Meldrum‘s initial involvement does not reflect his current stance on Todd’s claims or his footage.

People need to understand that a Bigfoot researcher will always go into an investigation with an open mind and let someone like Todd show and say whatever he wants to, and then assess it all later, or to whatever point the researcher feels as though he has seen or heard enough evidence of fakery beyond a reasonable doubt.

That didn’t take very long with me when I interviewed Todd in Alberta. I called him out on his B.S. on camera, and totally debunked him in front of our whole crew, but they didn’t include that part in the final cut of my episode because the production company wanted to “preserve the mystery” ... i.e. make the audience think his claims and footage might be real.

So even if Meldrum denounced Todd as a total charlatan by the end of the shoot, for Todd’s own show, his denunciation would have been kept out of the final cut for the exact same commercial reasons that my own debunking of Todd was kept out of my own show.

Meldrum did not have control over the final edit. The editor determines, in effect, what Meldrum says and concludes by the end, rather than Meldrum himself. And Meldrum may have had to sign a contract saying he won’t “disparage” the other people featured in the show (Todd) or the production company before or after the show is released. I had to sign one of those myself, so I wouldn’t expect Meldrum to say anything now unless he has something nice to say, which I’m sure he does not.

Fortunately, the type of contract Meldrum would have had to sign does not give Todd the power to sue Meldrum if he speaks openly about it down the road. Only the production company has that power, but that production company won’t be around for long. Production companies are often fleeting sub-entities —newly named LLC’s that are staffed up for a specific project. When the project is over, and all monies are paid out, the contracting entity basically doesn’t exist anymore, so it will not be around as long as Meldrum, and it won’t have any motivation to hold Meldrum to a non-disparagement clause, no matter how much Todd complains about it. Todd might threaten to sue him but he can’t, because Meldrum did not sign a non-disclosure contract with Todd himself.

OWFR and OS have been approached perhaps 6 or 7 times, to do a documentary type film on sasquatch. After watching Bobo running around in the dark, with a fish-eye lens pointing back at him, no thanks. With due respect to James "Bobo" Fay, a dedicated researcher, Finding Bigfoot did not show him in a complimentary light. TV is a commercial enterprise; they need you to tune in next week. It should have been named "Looking For Bigfoot", or "How to look Ridiculous in the DarK". It's like cancer research. Once the cure is found, funding for research stops. There will never be a cancer cure as long as funding keeps coming in.

So, although we did enjoy seeing the video, we had many negative comments, as did others. It looks like Todd Standing has "shot himself in the foot".
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

Eisbär
Member Avatar
Sly Fox
[ *  * ]
I agree with you Christine. As I mentioned before, I am not concerned about the general public or the scientific community, but for those that do you must get the scientists and biologists out in the field with the investigators.

I just watched the documentary a few days ago. About 10 minutes into it, I was going to shut it off because Todd starts the documentary with a sort of "Bear Grylls" approach with him running around all over the place with a ghillie suit on. I think that is moronic. But, I have to reserve my opinion on Todd to be fair. I will give the man credit for getting both scientists out in the field and his passion. Hoax or no hoax, that is the question. I just don't buy his footage. My spider senses tingle around this fellow.

That being said, Meldrum seemed out of his element on the show because he was out of his office. You could see he had trouble taking in all the information Todd was giving and showing him. Everything Todd said was accurate and Meldrum was "spinning". You could see it.

This is the problem with scientists. They need to get out of their offices and see for themselves and then make a proper assessment. The problem is that their jobs/careers are on the line and I understand this too. If they are labelled a "quack" then they lose all credibility and even funding. Sad, but true.

I think the best person to date that has investigated this mystery on tv is Les Stroud and he isn't really an "investigator". But, his approach is correct, in my opinion. I have spoken with him, and still do, many times and we share the same opinion on what we think Sasquatches are.

So, Christine, you are right. It's time for a paradigm shift. What's the definition of Insanity?....

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I was finally able to see this doc and I'm sad to say how disappointing it was.
It was not what I was expecting at all. This is not what I'd call a documentary, but more of a really long youtube video.

I get it that Todd is the star of this show, but in no way should he have directed, edited and done the narration for this project. By doing so the experience suffers greatly.

Every scene with Dr. Meldrum and Dr. Bingernagel are almost painful to watch. Todd seems to put pressure on them in every scene, it's so awkward.

What a let down.

Kite-Squatch
Member Avatar
Swift Cougar
[ *  *  * ]
I just posted in a similar thread. Is this THE Todd Standing?
Floyd: "How do you feel?"
Curnow: "Ugh. Like shit."
Floyd: "That's about right."
-- 2010 [1984]

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes. As far as I know there is only 1 in the bigfoot world.

Kevin
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
Peter, you explain well how opinions can be muzzled by the media.

Credibility is essential as a researcher, and although Todd has had issues in the past,
I thought he had made efforts to clean that up. Then i saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbZn00RFkHU&t=329s

I believe this is relevant to the discussion. What do you think?
I do understand Todd is trying to move the whole Bigfoot issue ahead.
But clearly, researchers, and their evidence, must withstand the highest levels of scrutiny.
I believe, good researchers, and their results, will withstand the test of time, and peer review.
Edited by Kevin, May 11 2018, 09:13 AM.

Tim M
Wise Owl
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Has anyone else had a chance to watch this?

I would like to know what you all think.

NaturalPath
Member Avatar
Timber Wolf
[ *  *  *  * ]
I was finally able to download this documentary so, I'll be watching it tonight and, I'll get back to you on my thoughts. As far as Todd Standing goes, I don't really have anything against him, so far. I know, from watching other videos, that he can be somewhat dramatic, at times but, ya know, when you get so many people calling you a kook, over a long period of time, I can understand why he might try to get through to folks by using different tactics. Anyway, I'm going into this documentary with an open mind and, no preconceptions about Todd or, his approach to Sasquatch research.
My Blog1
My Blog2

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply