Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Painted Faces. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Shadow and Flame; Chapter 2: Jade & Walker arrive in Nabil
Topic Started: Jun 4 2015, 09:48 AM (394 Views)
Oru
Member Avatar
Sol
[ *  *  * ]
Jacintha arrived with a tray of fruits and honey, the beverages she had poured and silently closed the door behind her. SHe smiled at her beautiful Fiora and placed the tray on the side table. Wordlessly, she began to feed Fiora bits of honey dipped fruit. "Lord Blomfield was very adequate, sister." She purred, curling up next to Fiora.

---

Raka watched Hobbs leave without a word. For a second he was apprehensive about this training practice, moreso then he felt he should. But when Edgar pulled up his practice reed, Raka felt himself grin just as wolfishly back.

This was an opportunity here. Raka uncoiled his chain and readied himself. After the sidelines had been indicated, they squared off with all eyes watching, and like a cobra, Raka lashed out first, chain spinning in an arc, heavy metal ball at the end for this encounter. Raka knew Edgar would be able to avoid that strike, which is why he dropped the other end of the chain, and spun, kicking it out towards the big man's broad middle.

Raka was pleased to make contact, and the soldiers all boo-ed or cheered. Raka tiltedh is head slightly to the side and hissed, "A Giant Lizard was ahrder to hit then you are." He spat on the ground. He knew it would just aggitate Edgar. SOme deep little voice in him kept telling him to shut up and just do some minor drills, let HIM attack... but Raka, as always, ignored it.

Raka went in for another vicious series of blows. But Edgar knew they were coming.

((Hope that was all right - you can finish the fight up!))
Posted Image
Shout out to all those players I miss, and the new friends I make.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Gigantor
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
The kick was well placed with the right amount of weight behind it but kicking Edgar was like kicking a wall. Then the reed came up and he slapped Raka on the back side three times with b,inning speed.

Edgar: your form is good but you're still slow and all advance, advance, advance.

He instructed and swung the reed at Raka's face that was no longer in the same position by the time he finished his arc. Raka was crouched on the ground then threw his legs around Edgar's and twisted his body with all of his strength and weight to trip the big man. But Edgar was built like a pillar and wouldn't go down. The reed whistled down and whipped against both shoulders.

Edgar: Not bad. If I was a lesser man, you wouldn't brought me to the ground. You've earned your respite. Get back in the line.

He pulled Raka to his feet as if he was weightless. Then he turned his dark eyes on Walker, cowled in his cloak, hiding his eyes to the sun. Edgar was disappointed how easy this was going to be. He picked up Walker's sword and to the center.

Edgar: I hear you've been giving my boy trouble with his tasks because you're skilled and don't need the stone. Well, y'see, that's not good enough. Raka is one of my boys and he's been given orders, failing them would make him look bad and I made him. If he looks bad, then I look bad. So let's get you to focus on the Scorpio stone.

He raised Walker's sword above his head in both hands, winked at him. Walker lost his focus in pure sadness and outrage as he watched his unique weapon, a tool that had served him well in the most difficult times was broken in two.

Walker: No!

His voice and heart screamed. The Scorpio brand was summoned and he lunged at Edgar.

Oru
Member Avatar
Sol
[ *  *  * ]
Raka moved to the side and sat, elbows on knees to watch. He was dry, but by alla ccounts should be sweating. HIs mouth was dry and he felt every heartbeat ringing through the tender flesh of his back. He wanted to just sit there all day. He felt his eyes closing for a moment, until he saw Edgar approaching Walker with the sword.

Narrowign his eyes suspiciously at Edgar's rant, he felt his face go cold as the blade was broken in twain. He was on his feet without realizing it, and several of the other men winced away from him. By sheer force of will, Raka sat back down and unclenched his fists. He was rewarded by Scorpion blooming into action.

He chose to watch with his usual expressionless disinterest for the remainder of the fight.

----

Jade, after eating and talking and laughing with Shara, decided that enough was enough and she had to get out of her little perch. Shara graciously offered to show her around the gardens.

She was greeted by brilliant sunshine and warm morning - nearing afternoon - heat. She hopped off of the ledge and glided tot he floor, Shara clappign excitedly as she went. "Mistress, every time you fly I shall be so happy!"

Jade turned crimson and the tour bean. It eventually devolved back to speaking of flight. They were in the seashell gardens again when Shara said, "'Flame and Shadow could not but watch the angel fly!' That is my poem. YOu should have seen the looks on their faces when you were in the twilight sky, Mistress!" Shara sighed heavily. "I wish one would stare at me with such feeling."

Jade made a face. "Shara, it felt like everyone wanted to EAT me yesterday. I don't like being stared at."

Shara took Jade's elbow and nudged her gently. "Not even if it is the one my mother calls MAster Demon?"

Jade rolled her eyes. "He's a stubborn, self-hating, miserable idiot."

Shara laughed and nudged her again. "Then what if the Shadow looked at you that way?"

Jade opened her mouth to retort, and foudn that no words could beat the color running to her ears.
Edited by Oru, Jul 1 2015, 12:27 PM.
Posted Image

Gigantor
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Walker moved with such a speed other doubted if they ever saw his feet touch the ground. Edgar stood perfectly still while Walker dashed from side to side to confuse his enemy and pick his angle. This was something he did on instinct, the man's mind was far beyond the point of judgement. He had done more than break his weapon, the tool of his sigil, but he broke a symbol of his hearth and homeland. A memory of his family.

He was the Breaker. Walker swung his brand in a glowing arc which Edgar was already above with a hop. The big man came down crashing his fist but hitting only a cloak, exactly what the Breaker wanted. He gripped a handful of the wispy fabric and pulled, lifting WLker off his feet and swinging him into the dirt. He smacked it hard, dust rising up and sand filled his mouth to choke him.

Edgar moved in with a dainty kick to the ribs. It felt more like a horse had kicked him.

Oru
Member Avatar
Sol
[ *  *  * ]
Raka remembered his first day here with Edgar. He hadn't yet filed his horns down - but one of the very reasons had been Edgar. Words in memory sliced through his present day:
"You think you're a Tajuri, boy?" A solid hit, he was just a boy, to the gut. "You're just a runt with horns. I can fix that-" Raka remembered the pain. He remembered Edgar grabbing him by the horns and he remembered clawing and biting and kicking while Edgar simply broke them off. He'd had jagged edges for a long time after that. One night in his rooms, Edgar's men had come in and held him down while they filed them....

Raka blinked back to present. His left eye twitched in irritation, but other then that he carefully betrayed nothing. He watched Walker take his beating, and all the while inside he relived his own first beating. He liked to think that in this way he could be there for his new....

Raka cast his eyes down to the ground. We are not friends.

This sympathy was going to get him killed. It had to stop.
Posted Image

Gigantor
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Face down in the dirt, Walker screamed in outrage and jumped to his feet. And was immediately pulled off them again as Edgar yanked on his cloak again. He dragged him in the dirt around the training area.

Edgar: Male peacocks are nothing but tail feathers. Their most beautiful feature is also emir biggest weakness as all of those feathers weigh them down, making me vulnerable to predators.

During his speech he failed to notice the cloak was wrapping around his wrist and slipping beneath his glove. Suddenly Edgar shouted and dropped the cloak and pulled his glove off and shook his hand violently. When the pain subsided he stopped and saw red lacerations, as if a jelly fish had stung him.

Walker: Those aren't feathers.

He said from behind the training master. Edgar turned and Walker shoved his broken blade into Edgar's guts.

Edgar howled but with laughter then laid a single punch that knocked WAlker unconscious.

Edgar: Looks like he might be worth training.

He pulled the sword out then strode off leaving Walker, face down in the dirt again.

Oru
Member Avatar
Sol
[ *  *  * ]
Raka watched this transpire, and for a second he almost let out a hoot of laughter when Walker managed to score a gut-shot to the giant pain in the ass. As he was knocked back, Raka slowly got to his feet. He watched the others leave then Went over to Walker. He rolled Scorpio over and gave his face a bit of a slap to rouse him.

"...Up. Practice is over." Now the real training begins.... He thought idly to himself. He puleld one arm over his shoulder and hefted the lighter man to his feet to bring him abck to his rooms. Waiting there for them would be, as usual, Mid'gha with fresh water in their basins, and freshly laundered clothing.

Raka said nothing about the fight. But as he left Walker in his room, just over his shoulder, he murmured, "...Blades can be reforged." He knew fromw hat Walker had told him that it was a traditional weapon -a symbol of his people. What he intoned was not that the blade could be fixed - but that one day Walker could go home.

Jade on the other hand, spent her day peered at from behind bushes or around corners. She took flight int he afternoon to a mix of startled staff, and curious nobles lurking in the gardens. While the men suffer, she became the symbol of the Sultan's prestige, and rumors of 'a reign of purity' ebcame rampant in the courts. Alas... Jade was no courtier. And she spent her time with Shara, asking about the others, and hoping one day to be free.
Posted Image

Gigantor
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Walker's unconscious dreams were full of pain, betrayal, and torment. The blade was shattered before him time and time again while Jade flew in the distant sky with a small tether leading to the Sultan who looked like he was flying her like a kite. Fiora was hanging off his back, gripping her hands into his chest and nuzzling his neck.

Raka nearby with his chain uncoiled and his body was a light with fire. Dima and Edgar stood over each of the warrior's shoulders sneering at Walker.

He awoke in his room, his broken blade was on the floor at the end of his cot. It was an omen of the coming days for Walker as Edgar kept his training with brutal consistency. His boys hounded him at every turn on their leader's orders. Now he felt like a true captive.

Fiora kept to herself when she wasn't needed, usually she spent that time preparing what Jacintha was likely to need next. Cleaning her gear before her training sessions or laying out clothes for her.

The only time she left their suite lately was for her own exercises, to fetch things for her sister or to respond to Dima's summonses which were few and far between. The Magus had something new to play with and it usually kept him squirrelled away for weeks on end. But eventually, his concentration would return to the stones and they'd be on the move again.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Advanced RP · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Skin Created by Xarina of Rapture & G-force. Best viewed in firefox.