Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Politics R Us. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are restricted from some sections. Register now to have full access. Email verification is required.

REGISTER NOW!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you are having difficulties, send an email to "beddows1@telus.net"

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Confederate Statues
Topic Started: Aug 17 2017, 07:03 AM (151 Views)
Telcoman
Member Avatar
Administrator
In some ways Trump is right, but it depends on how you look at it. How do you preserve history without glorifying bad history? In this case slavery, althoguh people in the north also had them, but they are not associated with it or fought a war on the basis of preserving it. Righly or wrongly statues always glorify the people represented by them. Ones of dictators are always the first thing to come down after they are deposed. Remember the people these statues glorify started a conflict that killed more people than Hitler did (excluding the death camps). In some ways its like germany tolerating statues of Hitler , Bormann, Eichmann, etc. Maybe there should just be a museum built somewhere where they can all be placed to be viewed in an historical context. Having them in cities & towns does commemerate indoivuiduals who were responisble for the deaths of 100's of thousands
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wanderingjays
Member Avatar

So are we going to remove the statues of all of the founders of the country? all of the people that founded this country either owned or condoned the use of slaves.

Brewster
Member Avatar

I think the plan is to remove all the reminders of those who committed treason in the name of freedom to preserve slavery.

wanderingjays
Member Avatar

I think the plan is to stir up as much crap as possible.

Colo_crawdad

Brewster
Aug 17 2017, 09:46 AM
I think the plan is to remove all the reminders of those who committed treason in the name of freedom to preserve slavery.
If folks in the south saw memorials as a reminder of the treasonous behaviors of their forefathers, the memorials should be saved. But, if they are seen as tributes to heroes, who fought and died for slavery, then the memorials should be replaced with ones that accomplish the first.

Brewster
Member Avatar

I agree Colo, although I'm not sure what those replacements would be.

Telcoman
Member Avatar
Administrator
Obviously you cant remove them on the basis of being slave owners or Mt Rushmore has to come down. The fact these people were traitors is reason enough. What other country puts up monuments to people who tried to overthrow it. As far a rascism.its part of the American DNA. You cannot remove it, but you don't have to bring it to the forefront either.

Colo_crawdad

But, if their intended message is that those who were traitors to the United States by taking up arms against their own country and government probably should be removed.

stoned

Posted Image

wanderingjays
Member Avatar

History is history. Good , bad , or indifferent. You can't erase it.

stoned

wanderingjays
Oct 8 2017, 03:27 PM
History is history. Good , bad , or indifferent. You can't erase it.rue
True, but you need not honor evil with grandiose statues and monuments.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · US Politics · Next Topic »
Add Reply