Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Politics R Us. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are restricted from some sections. Register now to have full access. Email verification is required.

REGISTER NOW!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features. If you are having difficulties, send an email to "beddows1@telus.net"

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Happy Birthday Canada!; Here’s your Birthday Present to Yourself:
Topic Started: Jun 30 2018, 11:33 AM (44 Views)
Brewster
Member Avatar
Brewster
A brand new Military! . . . . Posted Image

Before I start showing off, I should point out two central objectives Canada has set for itself:

First: We must defend our northern border! This is becoming more and more important as Global Warming opens up the entire Arctic Ocean - Russia is already gearing up…

Second: The days of single weapons or even single (Army, Air Force, or Navy only) services are gone - all new weapons listed here must work as part of a NATO - recognized electronic system, with each service supporting the others - this function is called Network Centric Operations (NCO).

An example: An Army unit suddenly spots a nest of enemy tanks - they upload the exact coordinates to the network, and a small number of NCO linked tanks can fire pinpoint-accurate fire on the tank nest, before the enemy even knows they’re there.
(A primitive version of this was used in Afghanistan while we still had our tanks there, and it drove Taliban nests into full retreat!)
But there’s More:Now, through NCO, a squadron of jet fighters would also be diverted from whatever else they were doing, and using those coordinates, would move to within a “stand off” position (out of sight and/or range of the enemy) and before even seeing the enemy themselves launch NCO guided missiles at the already targeted tank nest, hopefully wiping it out...

And all with no direct contact at any time!

BTW, this system was originally proposed by the US, but is only partially operational there... (I’m not sure, but I think the problem is inter-service rivalry)

Before I start, one further note - Much of this is reading between the lines, and reading what Canada has ordered, and what they’re studying for the near future… If I am correct, virtually all of this equipment will be operational by 2023-25, although not all orders will be completed by then…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted Image

The Sexy part - our new Jet Fighter - this decision is still in doubt, but this one is my choice - the SAAB Gripen E. (Two American fighters, the F35 Lightning II and the F18 Super Hornet, were leading candidates, but Trump’s outbursts have about eliminated most American equipment) One of the SAAB’s biggest advantages is that it already comes fully equipped for NCO, and a second advantage is that the Swedes know how to handle northern conditions.

The final choice may come down to which company can deliver the whole package (including NCO) first… That gives the EU’s Eurofighter the edge.

Posted Image

The Big Grunt part - Our new Heavy Icebreaker - it will go places nothing else (that NATO has) will ever go - it is built in Canada, and will have the most powerful Diesel-Electric engines of any icebreaker in the world. It is not heavily armed in itself, but it is ready for the new, well-armed Coyote Helicopters (coming up!)

The Russians have a larger, more powerful, nuclear powered unit, and the US has two breakers similar to ours, but running on turbine power - they will be faster, and perhaps a little more versatile, but not as capable in the really rough stuff.

This is a Done Deal - the boat is already finished and undergoing Sea Trials.

Posted Image

Our Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship - The Backbone of our new Coastal Defence, both in southern areas, and in the North, since it has some icebreaking capabilities - very versatile, reasonably armed, can be used for drug interdiction, ocean rescue, light battles in the Arctic. (Comes with those Coyote helicopters) There’ll be at least 16 of them, and they’re being built right now in Canada.

Posted Image

This Frigate is one that is unlikely to be ready by 2025, but it is dead certain we’ll get them, and they will be Canadian Built…

Why the Delay? Because our present Frigates, which are the backbone of our Navy, have just been rebuilt to the best modern standards, so there’s no rush…

Posted Image

And now the much talked about (by Me) Sikorsky S-92 Cyclone - Based on an American design modified to Canadian standards, it’s being built by Sikorsky’s Canadian division. These will be among the most powerful, heavily armed, and versatile helicopters in the world.

Posted Image

More S-92’s, set up for search and rescue…

Posted Image

Yup, more S-92’s, these all dressed up for a party (or the Prime Minister, whoever comes first). They are being sold as search and rescue backups, but I have trouble imagining dirty and soaking wet disaster survivors sitting on all that expensive hand-stitched leather.

Posted Image

Our new tanks - German Leopard 2A7’s - - this is another Done Deal, as we have been using 2A4’s for some time, so our contract with the Germans will just roll over to the new version, and any of the 2A4’s still in good shape will probably be upgraded.

Posted Image

Two Leopards already hooked up to the new NCO standard, with Cannons locked on a common target. (Think of Robin hood hitting the shaft of a previous arrow…)

Posted Image

And then, sometimes cannons aren’t needed…

Posted Image

Canadian designed and built Light Armored Vehicle, version LAVIII - upgraded with lessons learned in Afghanistan, now one of the most heavily armoured vehicles of its type - moves at highway speeds, crosses 6 foot ditches, can climb 60% grades, and carries its crew plus 7-9 infantrymen… Great for reconnaissance, especially when equipped for NCO.

Posted Image

Our Big Hauler, the CC-177 Globemaster III, - we have 5 of these - averaging about 10 years old, all getting the latest updates, particularly the electronics - can operate in any climate, on unimproved landing strips, carry Leopard tanks - to anywhere!

Posted Image

Our new prime Search and Rescue plane, the Airbus C-295W - There’ll be 16 of these, spread across all of Canada..

I’ll repeat what I said at the beginning - This is my roundup of what’s coming, and mine alone, but I have done a lot of research recently… Much of this is reading between the lines, and reading what Canada has ordered, and what our planners are studying for the near future… If I am correct, virtually all of this equipment will be operational by 2023-25, although not all orders will be completed by then…

And just about every one of these projects has costs measured in Billion$ !!!

We won’t have the biggest Military, not by a long shot, but we just may be the most modern - at least for a little while…

And note; at this time not one single brand new item on this list is American made, primarily Thanks to Trump.
Edited by Brewster, Jul 11 2018, 04:31 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Telcoman
Member Avatar
Administrator
We need to align more with the EU, now Trump is trashing NATO

Brewster
Member Avatar
Brewster
Yup - and I think we're on our way...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Canadian Politics · Next Topic »
Add Reply