Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Secret Project. All your IP are belong to us.

Click this to register, but you're probably a user anyway because we don't have any friends.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Video Gaming Pet Peeves
Topic Started: Sep 7 2011, 09:21 PM (1,112 Views)
MrMarill
Member Avatar
DAT STORY TIEM
Admins
So I've been playing a lot of new games recently, and I've noticed a theme in my complaints. So, what are your pet peeves in gaming? I'll do a more complete list later, just my two main ones;

-The game being too easy and not having any harder difficulty. There are many games I own which have been really, really fun, but I've powered through them in hours and had nothing else to do. The prime example is the Kirby series, although admittedly it has secrets which take a while to unlock. Again, the best example is Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is the only game I have ever played with perfect controls and almost perfect gameplay in which you cannot die and even 100%'ing the game isn't that much of a challenge. If Epic Yarn got a sequel in which you could die and had more challenge it'd be the best game ever.

-Number two is the complete flipside; unfair deaths. These are very difficult to remove completely, but many games I've played cheap you out annoyingly often. Making the game cheap is not an alternative to making the game actually hard. The best example of this is the Beginner's Trap, something I will have a flaming hatred for all my life. You're running along and BAM, you get killed by something you couldn't have POSSIBLY KNOWN EVEN EXISTED. This is even worse in games in which you have lives and is completely unfair and has resulted in many controllers being thrown across rooms.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nascargo19
Still playing RB3 daily.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Offline portions of games: Most glitches, too hard of a game/level. The way some games don't really explain what to do (especially in a series.) Really long levels (for me, the four different 24 hour races in GT5)

Online portions of games: Lag, people having really loud mics. especially in a game like GH or RB where you need to have the sound up. Most recent loud mic was from one of either cal_jr's or bigcalv's (i always get these two mixed up) friends in RB3. People that take online gaming WAYYYY to seriously. People that curse way to much.

failureatlife
Member Avatar
Indiscriminately discriminates
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Did someone from the Escapist come along and inspire this thread?

Snowman
Member Avatar
& and Yorick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Marill -- If you ever get a PS3, get Demon's Souls (well, Dark Souls, which is rather similar and by the same company, is coming out on PS3 *and* 360). Surely it's difficult enough, but deaths aren't unfair either. If you died, there's something to learn from it (such as, DON'T WALK SO CLOSE TO THE EDGE). Except for ONE case, where...

[spoiler=Demon's Souls Spoilers]At the end of the tutorial level, you face a Demon, the Vanguard. Since the little equipment you have is very weak, you will probably die, unless you are skilled at the game -- there are YouTube videos of people who have managed to kill it. This is the only death that could be considered "unfair," but the death is also essential for the plot, because your body dies and you go to the Nexus in Soul form, which is something you'll experience throughout most of the game.[/spoiler]

And mine? Just one for tonight...

Extremely high ping/lag -- No, not the "omg lag u cheetd" complaint. I simply can't play games online sometimes because of too much lag. It's been a lot better recently, but it's annoying when I want to play it and can't.

KRISTOFFA
Member Avatar
Follower
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Zombies.

Andami
Member Avatar
#1 Girl

But zombies are cool...

Anyway, my peeves are:

All-around idiots online
Sequels that ruin certain aspects that were near-perfect in the original
Little to no audible dialogue (especially in RPGs)
Over-priced DLC for good games
Sports games (save for Madden - which I somehow enjoy. Maybe it's because I can beat my brother at it even though I dislike watching football while he enjoys it.)
Other stuff I can't think of right now
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrMarill
Member Avatar
DAT STORY TIEM
Admins
No, cracked.com inspired it actually =P

I plan on getting Dark Souls, and my friend who owns Demon's Souls bitches about it every single day so I know everything about it, particularly a certain Valley of Defilement.

On the subject of lag, I hate it when people complain about non-existant lag. This happens a lot on Reach, I kill someone and there's an almighty wail of "LAAAG!" No, I shot you in the face, you were shooting me too. You have full connection shut up.

The fact everything is a shooter sucks too. I know lot's of people who say Mirror's Edge sucks. I ask why. They say "You don't get a gun 'till you kill people and even then the shooting sucks."
Face, meet my palm.

MrMarill
Member Avatar
DAT STORY TIEM
Admins
Andami

Sequels that ruin certain aspects that were near-perfect in the original

Also so much this

Romanticide
Member Avatar
Hipster
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
-Everything is voiced.
Sure, voice acting is nice, but the sheer amount of data needed to give everything a voice in a game like Oblivion detracts from other aspects of the game. It also dumbs down the dialog by necessity. If everything in Morrowind or Planescape: Torment were voiced, I don't think a DVD would have the space. I'd rather see more quests or some shit than inconsequential NPCs having all of their trivial lines voiced.

I don't like it, but this is what the gaming community demands. It's a reason we don't get certain JRPGs. Why release them if you have to translate tons of written dialog, then hire English voice actors to perform all the lines? Shit costs money and the genre is going out of style.

-First person shooters
I'll gladly play (and most likely drink) with a few bros offline, but...

They mostly suffer from three color syndrome.
Online play is almost necessary to get your money's worth.
They're safe to make, so the market gets saturated with them.

-The way people talk online.
I've heard so many horror stories that I'm not sure a $25 headset is worth it. Well, that and I'm reticent to play online/talk to most people in the first place. About the only people I'd talk to are you guys. >.>

If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, do NOT say it online. How hard a concept is this for the XBL/PSN kiddies to get?

-People who bitch about Madden and ignore all the other yearly releases.
I get that you don't like EA's business practices. I get that you most likely do not like football, too. But no, that does not mean it's the same damn game as last year and all they did was update the rosters. There are plenty of other games that come out on a yearly basis; go bitch about them too.

Or you could shut up and just not buy the game. Really, getting every iteration is stupid unless it's an important game to you. I wouldn't have gotten '12 if I didn't just get a PS3.

-Gamers who swallow the shit publishers do/include.
EA's online pass (and the other equivalents) sucks dick. If anyone else in any other market tried this, their product would rightfully be boycotted until it's gone. Gamers? Nope, they go to great lengths to justify screwing the secondhand buyer, never mind the secondhand market is accepted with every other product that exists. They'll generally say "YOU'RE NOT SUPPORTING TEH DEVELOPER/PUBLISHER" until you die from it, as if you have any real incentive to do so. My loyalty is not to them; it's to the best deal, as it should be.

This shit punishes us for taking advantage of a secondhand market that is perfectly legitimate. Give me a REASON to get your game new, rather than punishing me for not getting it new.

And of course the Ubisoft DRM is retarded. Pirates will patch shit like that out, leaving the legitimate consumer with features that will only interfere with them playing the game how they wish to play. It does not work, so I don't understand why they do it.

-Games that nickel and dime the consumer.
Other than the obvious "social games", which are made expressly for this purpose and thus too easy of a target...

You have shit like EA's Ultimate Team. It's pretty much a card game within the new Madden (and other series they make). I enjoy a well-made card game, so I'm thinking "I'll try this out". So I do, only to read through the intro screens and learn that CARDS EXPIRE and you need other cards to prevent that from happening. If that's not obvious nickel and diming, I don't know what is.

You also have some DLC that does it. The Horse Armor DLC is infamous for this reason. I *have* it, but it also came with Knights of the Nine, so whatever. Costume DLC is also intended to part you from your money, so I don't get it.

-People who whine about the new Final Fantasy.
We get it, it's not exactly like your first Final Fantasy. Shut up and don't play the goddamned game.

-Zombies.
Enough said.

SaiyanShredder
Member Avatar
Saiyan gon...
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
-rabid fanboys
I'm sure we all know at least one guy who talks shit about a certain game/console/publisher. Save that pent up raeg for the internet please...

-Impromptu lag
You're enjoying an excellent game when things start to slow down. Minor lag isn't too much of a problem, but the fact that it happens at random intervals is pretty annoying.

-loading screens
This one is probably the biggest offender on my list. You finally got from point a to point b but DARNIT there's a loading screen. Developers should take a cue from Nintendo. You don't see loading screens popping up in Super Mario or Legend of Zelda!

Granskjegg
Member Avatar
Eg e husfar.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There aren't really a lot of things I despise, except one thing.
Children with mics online, and trolls. Fuck that retarded shit. I hate playing a game online and then hearing some 12 year old yelling and screaming nonsensical crap.

I might add more later, but I gotta get to work so whatever.

JokerDonny
Member Avatar
I'm awesome
[ *  *  * ]
Mute the kid. Problem solved.

tfghost92
Member Avatar
swag on this dick, bitches
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I despise listening to anyone besides my friends online. I dont meet new people over online anymore. Any new friends I gain on LIVE is from the live clan im in. I mute EVERYBODY in EVERY game I play, the second I get into the game.

failureatlife
Member Avatar
Indiscriminately discriminates
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I've actually met a few bros in my time on Halo. I actually have the opposite problem.

I never have ANYONE with mics in my games or, at the very least, on my team. I like to communicate and plan and warn my mates, but no one ever responds. Probably because they don't have a mic OR they mute everyone except for their friends.

*failureatlife glares accusingly at ghostie

nascargo19
Still playing RB3 daily.
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MrMarill
Sep 8 2011, 06:40 AM
The fact everything is a shooter sucks too.

This. The closest games to a shooter that I buy is the GTA series. That's more for the car stunts/jumps and driving down the sidewalk running over everyone than the shooting. If I play it online I usually just do free-rides or races.

going along with this. I hate how everyone I know only talks about the shooter games. I added one guy I know from school and he keeps sending me COD:BO invites. I don't even own that game. Even the day the game came out on november 9th, (the only reason I know that is because that is the birthday of the girl I like and I was getting mad at people going NATIONAL BLACK OPS DAY!!!1!!!) people where saying how they had gotten the game at midnight and allready got 50% of the way through the game. /rant

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: