Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Secret Project. All your IP are belong to us.

Click this to register, but you're probably a user anyway because we don't have any friends.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What Type of Gamer Are You?; Self-explanatory.
Topic Started: Nov 10 2011, 06:57 AM (350 Views)
Romanticide
Member Avatar
The 2000-IQ Killjoy Detective
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
http://kotaku.com/5857864/which-of-these-2...-you-fall-under

Posting this because I figured it would be somewhat interesting to find out more about what type(s) of gamers we all are.

So yeah. Read the article, find out which ones you possess a trait/traits of, and report in. Not really a whole lot to it. Also, if you feel there's something else that is unmentioned, feel free to bring it up.

Me:

The Hater
You knew this was coming. I'm not posting the whole paragraph because it all honestly applies to some extent.

The True Nerd
"This gamer knows every nuance and detail of every game they've ever played, isn't afraid to recite any of it, and is proud to be who he or she is. They are confrontational by nature, boasting their vast knowledge and welcoming all challengers of said knowledge."

I owe this more to an exceptional memory than anything else. There are precious few games I've played enough to literally recite every detail of (Secret of Mana comes to mind), though with most of the games I've played through 2-3 times, I have a high amount of knowledge.

The Snob
"The unrelenting gamer who is always ready to defend what they think is the best game/system/franchise in history."

I think we all have this trait. Who wouldn't defend their favorite thing if it were to come under attack?

The Collector
"Always willing to offer a suggestion of a great game, followed by the admission that the game is unattainable."
"They are the absolute best at spotting a deal, or calling someone on a horrible one. They always seem more mature than most gamers, but that may simply be because of the wisdom they bring to the table from all the gaming they have done. Their skill falls into the 'jack of all trades master of none' category though"

Sounds a bit more conceited than it really is if you ask me. I would just like to think I understand the gaming marketplace.

The Retro Gamer
Though honestly I'm moving away from this. I can legally download via VC/PSN and I can find what's not there in less legitimate ways. I don't have a great need of carts since my grandma can't play anymore, so slowly but surely I'm selling them off.

Used to be like "omg these new games suck old games master race bla bla", but you know, actually playing newer games has a funny way of changing that.

The Escapist
I'd like to propose one. There are plenty for competitive gamers or collectors, but none for gamers who play for story.

This gamer's primary motivation for playing games is to immerse him or herself in a fictional world. The more dissimilar it is to the real world, the better it is in this gamer's eyes. When looking to purchase a new title, story and character development are the main priorities, with gameplay being a close but secondary priority. This gamer tends to skew towards JRPGs and WRPGs for precisely these reasons, but do not underestimate their knowledge/collection of games in other genres. They may also claim that video games, generally their favorite titles, have stories that are on the level of masterpieces in other forms of entertainment. They rarely if ever sell off their games because they might wish to go back and recapture the experience of that game.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KRISTOFFA
Member Avatar
Follower
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The clown, that's the only one there I can really say describes me. By normal standards I'd be a casual gamer, but that article made them sound like the biggest douches ever. I play games occasionally, play them with mates and sometimes when I'm just bored. Don't play them a tenth as much as I used to, but still have fun. Often find it hard to get into a game.

MrMarill
Member Avatar
DAT STORY TIEM
Admins
This sounds like fun. Some of the ones that describe me were eh (like the Retro gaemer one; I still do play modern games and enjoy them =P) but oh well.

The Hater
Yeah, yeah.

The True Nerd
"This gamer knows every nuance and detail of every game they've ever played, isn't afraid to recite any of it, and is proud to be who he or she is."
"They are good at anything they try, and are hopelessly embarrassed if they are beaten even in an unfamiliar game."
I can generally remember backstories or obscure details about most games I've played (or ones I liked enough to remember, which is a lot). And, not trying to sound arrogant, I'm pretty damned good at games. It generally takes me a day of playing to become properly competent at a competitive level at any game I play.

The Snob
"The unrelenting gamer who is always ready to defend what they think is the best game/system/franchise in history."
Like Romanticide said, if someone attacked Nintendo I know I'd be ready to defend them.

The Collector
Eh, not quite what they were saying, but there are some games I collect rather than actually play, such as (at first) the original Super Mario Bros, but I do play that over All Stars nowadays.

The Wizard
"This gamer has played so many styles of play that they can seemingly master anything with limited practice."
See The True Nerd for my infinite modesty.

The Retro Gamer
WOW REALLY

There should be space there for a gamer who tends to play offline games, but oh well.

SaiyanShredder
Member Avatar
Saiyan gon...
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
OOOH ME NEXT, ME NEXT!

The Hater
Naturally...

The True Nerd
I'm not as knowledgable as the article points out, but I can hold my own in most gaming conversations.

The Politician
This is so me, I can give most games moderate scores and hate few games in general. I also mix well with gamers and non-gamers

The Snob
Threeshitty fanboys tend to bring out the snob in me...

The Competitor
While I don't usually trash-talk (from lack of a mic), I do tend to have the disposition of a Competitor.

The Enabler
SO MUCH THIS!!!

The Elitist
This usually applies when I'm playing games like Guitar Hero.

That's about it... also, I'm surprised they left a few personalities out (like the griefer).

Bigcalv2002
Member Avatar
Da resident crazy canuck!!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Collector - When I last counted, I had 14 disc based games, and 21 games on my HD (including 4 that are also disc based). I have played all of them and enjoyed them all thoroughly.

The Competitor - Though I am trying hard to not be one all the time. I just love to make all the whiners shut up by totally pwning them when they were always trash talking in the pre game lobby. If im not with any whiners, I tend to relax and enjoy the game without getting all worked up.

BigMac
Member Avatar
praise be to based helix
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Politician
I have liked all of the games I've played (which admittedly is not many), and I have a fairly equal number of gamer and non-gamer friends.

The Clown
A little bit. While I do take games seriously, I love mah fun. I often humorously narrate my games to no one in particular.

The Yearner
Again, not quite as the description says. There are so many games I want to get, yet I have neither the time to play them nor money to get them.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MrMarill
Member Avatar
DAT STORY TIEM
Admins
BigMac

I often humorously narrate my games to no one in particular.

I do this a lot, especially when I play Link to the Past. I like to think of myself as the bad guy in that game, brutally murdering innocent monsters.

Snowman
Member Avatar
& and Yorick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MementoVivere
Nov 10 2011, 02:57 AM
The Snob

I think we all have this trait. Who wouldn't defend their favorite thing if it were to come under attack?

I kinda disagree. While I certainly would defend my favorite stuff here, that's because it's here. I know you guys. Plus, it's the internet. ANYWAYS...

I found that I fit with The Politician because EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE fits me. The rest had bits and pieces here and there, but nothing else really fit me well. Maybe The True Nerd because I tend to remember stuff about games I've played, but not every single detail about every single game. A little bit of The Yearner just because I want a lot, but don't have the time and money for all of it. I play what I have, though.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DrFreshey
Member Avatar
If you ain't out of control, you ain't in control!
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Politician, The Clown, and The Enabler to a certain extent.

The Yearner and The "Sir not appearing in this" Gamer fit me perfectly.

Andami
Member Avatar
#1 Girl
Admins
I'd like to think that I'm a mix of:

The Enabler
The Competitor
The Wizard
The Collector
The True Nerd

I don't really fit in the other categories at all.

Granskjegg
Member Avatar
Eg e husfar.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Snowman
Nov 11 2011, 02:30 AM
I found that I fit with The Politician because EVERY SINGLE SENTENCE fits me. The rest had bits and pieces here and there, but nothing else really fit me well. Maybe The True Nerd because I tend to remember stuff about games I've played, but not every single detail about every single game. A little bit of The Yearner just because I want a lot, but don't have the time and money for all of it. I play what I have, though.

I'm a mix of those three too, although a dumbed down version of all of them.
I often read about games, and when I play a game I tend to go a little in depth into stuff.
I'm also pretty open to most all games and I rarely hate it. I also try to keep up to date on gaming news and such.
And the yearner fits me too since I have a tendency to want a lot of games, but I often end up not getting them, because I'm not sure if it will be worth my money, time etc.

So if you didn't get that, I'm a dumbed down "The True Nerd", "The Politician" and "The Yearner".

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Entertainment · Next Topic »
Add Reply