We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Gunman kills three in Belgium
Topic Started: Dec 13 2011, 09:06 PM (390 Views)
Riverwide
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A gunman has opened fire in the centre of the Belgian city of Liege, killing at least three people and wounding 123.

The man also threw grenades into a crowded square from a rooftop before killing himself, reports say.

He was named as Nordine Amrani, aged 33. He was known to police for firearms offences. Officials said the attacker acted alone, ruling out terrorism.

Medical sources later said two other injured, including a baby girl, had died. This has not been confirmed.

Amrani was jailed for 58 months in September 2008 for possessing firearms and drugs, media reports said.

Officials did not confirm this, but said they were aware he had spent some time in prison.

Belgian Prime Minister Elio di Rupo, visiting the scene, described the attack as "horrible".

"There are no words to describe this tragedy," he said.

"We think first and foremost of the innocent victims, their family and friends. We also think of all the people working at the scene and more generally of the people of Liege.

"The whole country shares the pain of the families affected. We share the shock of the population."

Belgium's King Albert and Queen Paola also came to pay their respects.

Weapons in a bag
Amrani had been asked to come for an interview at a police station in connection with charges against him.

A resident of Liege, he left home with a rifle, a pistol and three grenades in a bag, prosecutors said.

Greg Ienco, a journalist at local newspaper La Meuse-Liege, described the scene of the attack.

"We saw four explosions. I was in a building 200m from Saint-Lambert Square," he said.

"It was quite incredible. We saw one man on the roof who tried to kill people. This man killed himself with a grenade."


Liege police hold a news briefing following the attack
Two of the people confirmed dead were boys aged 15 and 17, the third a 75-year-old woman.

TV images showed blood splattered across the cobblestones of the square.

Several people are reported to be in a serious condition.

Medical staff at a field hospital at the scene treated 52 of the injured. Some others made their own way to other hospitals.

Roads into the centre of Liege were sealed off but vehicles are now coming back into the city.

Explosives experts were called in to search the area for unexploded grenades. People were initially told to stay in buildings but are now returning to the streets.

Place Saint-Lambert is a busy intersection, served by hundreds of buses daily. It hosts an annual Christmas market which attracts some 1.5 million visitors a year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16161746
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
FuckBuddy
Member Avatar
Pensioner
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
authorities should also justify why a psychopath with a criminal record hadn't been diagnosed with his mental disorder and was instead discharged and left to act freely in public
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
TickTock
Member Avatar
I Fckt Riverwide N Da Azz Real Hard Again
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Someone didn't want syrup on their waffles.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top
 
1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · News & Current Affairs · Next Topic »

Theme by Sith of the ZBTZ and Outline