Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to The Tiko Whisperer. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Motor weight holders
Topic Started: Mar 19 2017, 10:22 AM (268 Views)
Pratyeka
Member Avatar
Administrator
Why: The gearbox of the motors have a large amount of play, up to 15 degrees rotation on the output gear. This cause unacceptable backlash.
Symptoms: Layer shifts, circles with flat faces, layer separation, unreliable tip height, tribal wars, crashing economies, smelly cheeses...
Solution: Adding mass to each motor so that gravity will pull down and "pre-load" the gearbox.

Pre-loading explanation from wikipedia: Preload becomes very important for large mechanical and high performance system such as large Telescopes.[2] In the general sense, it refers to the internal application of stress to certain mechanical systems. By tensioning, preloading increases the natural frequency of a structure, avoiding resonance due to external disturbances. It also prevents buckling if stresses change depending on position in certain systems. In the particular case for bearings and fasteners, preload reduces or cancels backlash or dead zones. In addition, preload aids to limit applied loads to a system.

How-to: Simplest way is to attach fishing spinners or sinkers to the screws holding the motors on the carriages. The mass must be heavy enough to overcome the friction of the clips and pull down the motors. Keep adding mass until effective. I have now ~100 grams on each motors. I'm using 20mm X 20mm steel bars cut to 20mm long, fitted inside the holders.

stj file: Tiko motor weight holder

Be careful of the ribs inside the Tiko body at the top of the guide rails, they come very close to the motors.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by Pratyeka, Mar 19 2017, 10:24 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zekewildflower

i did this mod.... and ever since, when you load the pla it extracts it and when you unload it it loads it. I am not sure what I did to cause this.. Any one with any insight???
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

wsaunders2

Shot in the dark - extruder motor plug reversed on system board?

Pratyeka
Member Avatar
Administrator
Yep, I second that. And that would not be the first time someone did that. Fortunately it does not cause any damage to the motor.

dscouch
Member Avatar

I just wanted to comment that I printed these and then hot glued a stack of pennies in each one and it worked fantastically well. As an additional bonus I was able to cut off the corners that were hitting using a bandsaw since the pennies didn't fill the container totally.

Pratyeka
Member Avatar
Administrator
Those corners do come really close to the casing.

zekewildflower

that worked... thanks.. must have moved it!!!!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Hacks and Mods · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme from Zathyus Networks