Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Toonami Fan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
July 09th, 2008: Interview with Jason DeMarco!
Topic Started: Jul 9 2008, 08:10 PM (3,777 Views)
Nick
Member Avatar
Founder and Major Domo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Tyrell lands an interview with Jason DeMarco, and Toonami Fan has the exclusive!

Feel free to spread this link around, guys, as I'm sure there are probably many out there who would like to read this but may not check in to TF on a regular basis. And hats off to Tyrell for all his hard work. All of us fans should be very grateful!

http://www.toonamifan.com/toonamidemarco.html

Additional discussion threads: http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=213469
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Linkpre
No Avatar
Crewer
[ *  *  * ]
That was an excellent interview, it really brought out alot of information on the Toonami brand.

Really, I'm just glad to hear that the creators of Toonami still love and care about the block. As Mr. DeMarco said, things on TV can't last forever, but I'm certainly glad Toonami has lasted this long. They don't know how much I appriciate what they've made. Toonami has given me some great times and has taught me alot about life.

I have more to say, but I'll try to add it in later.

tarhaun
No Avatar
Did somone say "chimichanga"?
[ *  *  *  * ]
originals might be the only thing that could save toonami.

Jeff Harris
Member Avatar
Webmaster, The X Bridge
[ *  * ]
GREAT interview!

These originals have peaked my interest though. Wish the network saw Toonami the way Jason and the others see the block. Great read and , again, great interview.

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, this interview did confirm one thing: CN is going to be increasing emphasis on originals over acquisitions. Hopefully Cartoonistitute works out, that's where the originals are all going to be coming from.

Otherwise, great, revealing interview here. That was a major coup. And we finally found out why Toonami stopped showing fan art too (isn't the antrhax scare six years old now though?). Glad that DeMarco still cares about the block and hopefully stuff will keep coming doiwn the pipe.

I had a feeling that DeMarco has had a hand in most CN promos. The way CN's promos have evolved, they seem definitely Toonami-esque.

Rizwan the Captive Member
Member Avatar
I'm Not Into Labels...the First
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
First of all, thank you so much Ty for this interview. It answered alot of questions, put some issues to bed, and I know it couldn't have been easy to arrange. My main concern about the interview was that Toonami may never return to four hours, though DeMarco didn't say why. However, it was good to hear that Toonami still plans on acquiring new and hopefully quality shows. Oh, and I agree with both Ty and DeMarco, IGPX RULES! :D Kudos again Ty.

billyarnie
Member Avatar
3... TOM 3!
[ *  *  *  * ]
Congrats, Ty! An excellent interview & a coup as well. Sean Akins is usually the go-to guy whenever there are Toonami interviews. It's interesting to read something by Jason; also interesting to know he's behind Williams Street Music. I've got to check out the downloads at adultswim.com. Good luck getting an interview with Sean; that means you hit the Daily Double! "And the Final Jeopardy category for today is... Toonami!"

However, something Jason said makes me nervous:
Quote:

Ty: I think this year Toonami has been an enigma. Last year the block went from a strong four hours on Saturday night to two. Will we ever see the return to four hours?

Jason: I donít think so. I think this is what we have now. Iím not sure how long we will have it. Let me just say that there will always be action cartoons on Cartoon Network, and as long as we are working here we will be making most of these promos. But nothing lasts forever, especially in TV.

Ty: So the future of Toonami, any new shows coming up soon?

Jason: I donít really know whatís in the pipe that I can talk about, but there are some great originals coming up for sure.

Hopefully some originals will make it to Toonami & not just be reruns from other blocks. My bold italics are the scary part; but as he said, nothing lasts forever, especially in TV.

To comment upon Andrew's recent article on CN Action blocks, maybe there is room for more than one. Even though Fried Dynamite is history, Dynamite Action Squad could stay with the wacky live-action hosts (if CN wants to continue that) & kiddie-fied shows, the Friday block (hopefully 3 hours, but maybe 2 to start) for headlining originals & acquisitions, and Toonami for anime & encores. If CN is still planning to acquire Naruto Shippuden, then the Naruto Filler Hour will still be around until late November/early December.

sonofnight
Member Avatar
Toonami Faithful for Life
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was nice to find out some stuff about the current Toonami. I hope Toonami stays around a while longer. Great interview! I can't wait to see some originals, and see what else Toonami has up its sleeve. I honestly hope Toonami returns to four hours though. Two hours, once a week is too short for me, but I do apprecaite that Toonami is still on.

echo
Member Avatar
Lurker
[ *  *  *  * ]
Wow, this was a great interview.

tytheartist
Member Avatar
Future Animator & Innovator
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hi guys.

It was really fun to do this interview. And I can only hope the next time I get this chance, it only gets better.

I'm not going to comment on any reactions to the interview, although I'm elated you guys enjoyed it.

However, Toonzone is a lot harsher than you guys.haha.

Calus
Member Avatar
DJ Calus
[ *  *  * ]
Nicely done, TY.

Although on a lesser note, I kind of feel bad about redoing his tracks now. ^^;

Oh, just of out curiosity, how did the interview take place? (Phone, chatroom, in person, ect.)

jayngfet
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hasn't adult swims bumpers and shows changed minimally, I remember family guy from my first [AS], and the ratings music.

Toonami_Inspired
Member Avatar
Novice
[ * ]
Fantastic interview!!! I had hoped The BIG-O would come up more besides the Dorothy painting, though. While brief, piecemeal answers have come up regarding that anime series' fate, I'd like a more complete answer as to its shift to Adult Swim and its eventual demise there, despite a Cartoon Network-optioned Season 3 (which many would have loved to see). I wonder if Jason DeMarco or Sean Akins knows more about that topic: like what Season 3 would have been about and if such a business venture as Big-O Season 3 is even possible anymore. *Tyrell, it'd be great if you could ask something along those lines if you get another interview so that longtime Toonami fans can get some much-needed closure.

But anyway...

Having watched Toonami from the beginning, Toonami's inspirational speeches have definitely been influential in my life. The music has always been awesome; I listen to Deep Space Bass to this day (and wish Black Hole MegaMix had a few more fave Toonami tunes on it)! Toonami in its strongest days was a phenomenon like no other, a convergence of everything hip and inspiring--entertaining, exciting, and broadening horizons. A HUGE THANK YOU to TOONAMI!!!

...The future does look a little bleak for Toonami, though. I'm worried it's going to drown in too much Naruto and cartoon shows double-dipping elsewhere on the channel. Escalating this concern is the fact that SciFi Channel nabbed Gundam 00 for the Fall. Yet, it seems that Toonami has taken a different direction in recent years and has more constraints on it, so it might not have fit. I think Adult Swim changed the dynamics significantly; but, from what Mr. DeMarco said, I gather that the TV industry and show acquisition processes have just become more complicated and limiting.

In regards to IGPX, I thought the series fit the Toonami motif nicely, and injected some old-school Toonami flavor back into the block, but I wouldn't say it was the most mind-blowing material I'd seen on the block. Making it was the right thing to do, however. When Naruto and IGPX were on the block together it was the last time I felt a significant connection to Toonami. Before that, the Zoids: Chaotic Century (with the awesome Final 4 event!) and G-Gundam duo worked excellently, as well. Still, despite these last gasps, it seems Toonami is slipping away given Mr. DeMarco's words. But regardless, it'll never change the facts of what Toonami accomplished and the joy it gave so many.

Nick
Member Avatar
Founder and Major Domo
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

However, Toonzone is a lot harsher than you guys.haha.

It's one of the least supportive 'fan' boards I've ever seen. Not to say that blind devotion is a good thing, but at times they seem impossible to please.

Jeff Harris
Member Avatar
Webmaster, The X Bridge
[ *  * ]
Nick
Jul 12 2008, 01:32 AM
It's one of the least supportive 'fan' boards I've ever seen. Not to say that blind devotion is a good thing, but at times they seem impossible to please.

I think that's because the Toon Zone (two words, not one; The Cruzes get ticked when it's said and written as one word) posters are angry with the general direction of Toonami. They're angry that the block many of them grew up with, defended, and enjoyed is in the state that it's currently in.

The Toon Zone Toonami board is the oldest Toonami fan community on the internet, with roots to the old CN2 Inside The Web forum created in 1998 and the old CNX Revolution Board back in 1999, many of whom are still a part of the boards. We've been around during the good times, the great times, the bad times, and the troubling times.

These fans are passionate about Toonami, and when it disappoints them, they express their displeasure. There are a few that are still optimistic about the future of the block, despite the writings on the wall, but they're dwindling in number. Some moved on to other interests and other blocks. Some reflect with happiness and a heavy heart about what Toonami was and what it could be. All are still watching, wondering if the block will ever be the same though in the back of their minds, they know it won't.

I'm not here to defend the members of my board, but I do understand why they're frustated with the direction of Toonami. The interview was a good one, Ty, but the tone of the interview did seem kind of defeatist in some points, which is perhaps a reason they're less than enthused about the whole situation.

Calus
Member Avatar
DJ Calus
[ *  *  * ]
Those are the same questions I would have asked...

And come on, let's be realistic here. Toonami isn't doing so hot. I've accepted that fact. It's pretty obvious, after all. Point is that TY asked questions that were relevant more than anything else.

jayngfet
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
The sad thing is that toonami is actually doing better than most other blocks, every other block is the same size and we have(although poorly received still important) fully animated and detailed bumpers, sure we have to worry about continuity but at least we have one, essentially we have to keep an old man alive while watching a bunch of babies.

Delicious, delicious babies...

Anyway, think about it, new episodes f flapjack aren't labeled Har Har THarsdays(specific episodes).

The History Follower
Member Avatar
Crewer
[ *  *  * ]
Love the article. Very nicely done.

If you arrange the Sean Atkins interview think you could let us know before hand send in a few questions we'd liked asked?

tytheartist
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sure. The interview has been arranged. If you have any questions you want me to ask him, send them through a message on these here lovely forums.

Calus
Member Avatar
DJ Calus
[ *  *  * ]
Ask him if we can have more Toonami music. XD

And if I won't get killed by the mighty hammer or Turner Broadcasting. 8D; *shot*

jayngfet
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
Could you ask him what influences went into TOM4 and the general remake, and what made him choose that particular model, we have seen other possibilities in the anniversary bit(or was it another bit, I was out of the country and had to see that online).

Cartoon network recently went into another remake, can we expect the same from toonami?

Linkpre
No Avatar
Crewer
[ *  *  * ]
"Was the Toonami crew involved in the acquisition of the show KIBA?"

"How long does it take to make an average 15 second Toonami bumper?"

"How did you guys decide on what voice to give TOM?"

"What was your favorite Toonami promo?"

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Two other Kiba-related questions:

"Was the deal made with Upper Deck or ADV?" and "Does Cartoon Network have the TV rights as well as the streaming rights?"

You should tell him the 1st episode seems to have garnered a positive reception overall. That'll make him happier. :)

"Does CN have any more action/adventure acquisitions on the way this year or is Kiba it?"

"What's the final fate of Zoids Genesis/One Piece/Fantastic Four/Zatch Bell!/Blue Dragon?"

"Why the switch back to the 2004-06 "coming up next" bumpers?"

"How much longer will Naruto continue its double premieres?"

"Will Ben 10: Alien Force stay on Toonami or will it leave? Could it eventually premiere on Toonami?"

"Superman: Doomsday took a long time between its DVD release and broadcast premiere. Why did the long period of silence before it finally premiered on Toonami?"

One question to NOT ask is "Will Toonami be moved to Friday nights?" 1. Mr. Akins probably can't talk about it, and 2. We'll find out in a couple of weeks anyway.

tytheartist
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Before you guys get question crazy.

Im limited with my questions, not how many, but what I ask. just be conscious of that. Because PR for turner would have my you-know-what if I decided to drop a question that was totally off limits.

echo
Member Avatar
Lurker
[ *  *  *  * ]
Sweet that you got another interview!
"Is there any chance of shows that used to show on Toonami coming back on Toonami?"

billyarnie
Member Avatar
3... TOM 3!
[ *  *  *  * ]
jayngfet
Jul 15 2008, 09:00 AM
Could you ask him what influences went into TOM4 and the general remake, and what made him choose that particular model, we have seen other possibilities in the anniversary bit(or was it another bit, I was out of the country and had to see that online).

Cartoon network recently went into another remake, can we expect the same from toonami?

My questions for Mr. Akins in a moment, but a Question to jayngfet: Are you talking about the 11th Anniversary or the 10th Anniversary, which had the 4 montages & introduced the current Toonami crew?

Now for Sean Akins:
1) Is Toonami's current target demographic still 6-11 year old boys & is that the same for Cartoon Network?

2) Would Toonami and/or Cartoon Network be willing to shift Toonami's target to 9-14 tweens or even 12-17 teens? IMHO those demos, especially teens, are being ignored by CN, while Nick has their TEENick block.

Finally, Congratulations & Big Ups... Props, even ;)... to Ty for scoring this interview! We know it's going to be Great...

tarhaun
No Avatar
Did somone say "chimichanga"?
[ *  *  *  * ]
i have one:"Could you give us any insights on originals?And if so,will you revive any of the Hannah-Barbera superheros such as Birdman and Space Ghost?

jayngfet
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
The one where Sean Akins gets interviewed.

Which was doubtlessly why he gets the most hate for the remake.

There was the green TOM3.5(as I call him) he was taller and more armored but still had a face.

Rizwan the Captive Member
Member Avatar
I'm Not Into Labels...the First
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Good luck with the interview Ty, most of the questions I want to ask have been asked so, all you gotta do now is beat the answers out of him. ;)

How about asking why Peter Cullen isn't doing anymore Toonami promos.

And if you can, ask what Toonami's future is looking like.

Ask if he knows the song "Dark Lady." It was featured in an episode 2 of IGPX, and he mentioned it was an awsome tune.

If there will be a second Toonami original series, and if he will discuss the first (IGPX) and how successful it was.

That's all for now. When is the interview scheduled for, if you don't mind me asking, or if you don't mind divulging?

tytheartist
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
I do mind.

remember, be conscious of the questions you guys want me to ask.

Calus
Member Avatar
DJ Calus
[ *  *  * ]
Here's a bit more of a real question...

Was there anything about Toonami that he would have altered/changed in retrospect?

echo
Member Avatar
Lurker
[ *  *  *  * ]
Hmmmm I just got one more Q that came to my head...

"What was your favorite Toonami show of all time?'

Good luck with the interview!

Toonami_Inspired
Member Avatar
Novice
[ * ]
A Question for Mr. Akins:

"Why did the Cartoon Network co-produced BIG-O Season 2 go to Adult Swim and not Toonami, and is there any chance for the Cartoon Network-optioned BIG-O Season 3? (If not, do you know what Season 3 would have been about?)"

-Thank you VERY much Ty and Mr. Akins!!!

Linkpre
No Avatar
Crewer
[ *  *  * ]
So is that interview with Sean Atkins still happening? Forgive me for being impatient, it's just been awhile since we've heard anything.

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Linkpre
Aug 6 2008, 05:50 PM
So is that interview with Sean Atkins still happening? Forgive me for being impatient, it's just been awhile since we've heard anything.

I would not be surprised that the interview either has to be delayed publically or whether the time that is convenient for both Ty and Akins took/takes a while.

When we cross into October is when we speculate whether the interview's fallen through.

tytheartist
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cross into October.

Glory to god, thats bringing down the bar of expectation MIGHTY low.

However Macattack, you are right. We've had a bit of a struggle finding a time to do this between both our schedules. However thanks to the wonderful public relations of turner, we've been able to work it out. Expect it by the end of august. :D

JaySinkie
Member Avatar
Clyde
[ *  * ]
Wow, I've really been out of the loop for a while (life, just, yeah....).

Anyway, AWESOME interview Ty, thanks a load to both you and Jason for doing it.

It's great to see a conversation between a fan and one of THE forces behind Toonami.

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
tytheartist
Aug 7 2008, 12:08 AM
Cross into October.

Glory to god, thats bringing down the bar of expectation MIGHTY low.

However Macattack, you are right. We've had a bit of a struggle finding a time to do this between both our schedules. However thanks to the wonderful public relations of turner, we've been able to work it out. Expect it by the end of august. :D

It is September now. ;)

I wasn't bringing the bar of expectation down low, I was just suggesting the perfect time to hit the panic button.

Toonami_Inspired
Member Avatar
Novice
[ * ]
I heard the interview was completed and that there was a delay of some kind (maybe due to the end of Toonami?) I was just wondering if the interview will be scrapped now because of Sean Akins' interview on Jetstream and such? I hope not...

billyarnie
Member Avatar
3... TOM 3!
[ *  *  *  * ]
I don't think it's scrapped... ask tytheartist, since he did both interviews. I believe he was trying to do a follow-up & add that to the original inverview.

Linkpre
No Avatar
Crewer
[ *  *  * ]
So, any word on that interview with Sean Atkins. I would have loved to read it.

Raidon Makoto
Member Avatar
Clyde
[ *  * ]
If you are still doing a post-mortem follow-up, ty, could you add these questions in?

1. Can Toonami be saved, or will it never come back?
2. Will the 'Toonami' name be phased out from Jetstream?
3. Will we ever see Old Toonami Bumps/Other Toonami stuff on Jetstream? Or just even putting TOM up on Jetstream would be a huge improvement.

macattack

"Why the switch back to the 2004-06 "coming up next" bumpers?"

They switched back to the 04-06 'Coming Up Next' bumpers during Toonami's dying days? God, I regret not watching more of Toonami...

« Previous Topic · Article Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply