Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Toonami Fan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
To Bring The Hurt Back To Cartoons; toons dont REALLY get hurt anymore
Topic Started: Sep 16 2009, 10:08 PM (516 Views)
libra
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
i think most people would agree that Tom and Jerry did it best. and Ed Edd and Eddy met it, and improved it. im taking about the visual impact in cartoons. when a violent impact happens, that one can see the pain felt from the animated execution of the impact. smacking into anvils, batted with frying pans, having one's falling momentum ended by the pityless ground. there used to be a time when u could see how much that hurt just by the execution of animation. one could see physics playing out in a drawn world. and it hurt.

now a days there is barely enough frying pan, anvil, and metal sign post impacts for animated physics to sting. and when such impacts happen, they are violent by what is happening, but they seem so gentle. so painless. im not asking for sadism in cartoons. but i am asking if someone is going to hit a wall full force in a cartoon, it should hurt, and it should look like it. i think we should have no problem imagining the shell shock of the event. it seems like cartoons now a days are like chew toys. they respond to the resistance, but dont bare the consequences of it. in the Eds' show, metal bent, wood broke, and people where bruised, stunned, and, for a few frames, u could read STOP backwards on their face. some even remained in a cast for the rest of the cartoon. u might not have always seen Wile-E hit the ground up close, but he always made dust fly. he didnt die, but he didnt bounce.

and i can guess why. the nemesis of cartoons, soccer moms, send their letters and their and emails of disdain and outrage. scared that seeing real pain is going to mess with their kids' heads. requesting that toons live in styrofoam worlds, and pain lasts only a few seconds. if u ask me, it's mommy trying to kiss the unforgiving world to try to make it all better. but smooches dont make ow go away in the world we live in. and Nick and CN and Disney are held in tug of war. satisfy artistic integrity, or make the moms quiet down? personally, i like knowing that even toons have to worry about the laws of physics too. even if only sometimes. u can avoid governmental laws, and sometimes personal laws can be tricky. but no matter who u are, u have no possible choice but to answer to the laws of physics when a brick meets ur face at velocity. it's called being brought down to Earth. and it happens to us all if we're not careful. and in a 2 dimensional world were anything is possible, i feel nice knowing that even there, the piano always wins like it does in ours.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Anime ALWAYS has people getting hurt unless it undergoes the now-rare practice of being Americanized/SatAM-edited. Some of the more violent stuff like Hellsing and Darker Than Black has heads getting sliced in half. Naruto, the major anime property right now, has several characters get killed off over the course of the story, cripple others, and nearly every other character gets really beaten up/tormented at some point.

Avatar: The Last Airbender wasn't shy about people getting hurt either. A couple of characters even got killed off over the course of the show and it aired on NICKELODEON of all channels. Even in the third season which got maligned for holding back on violence had a guy literally blow himself up with his mind.

As more cartoon-ish violence the main reason is that there is the fear that children will imitate the violence they see on TV if it's taken for comedy. It has some merit. In Turkey a decade ago a couple of children thought they could fly like Pidgey and both got seriously injured, and that wound up causing the show to be banned there for a couple of years, and when it came back it was edited beyond the norm compared to Pokemon's edits in the rest of the world. Perhaps not the greatest correlation with the likes of Tom & Jerry but it does show that children can imitate what they see on TV with some potentially horrific results.

libra
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
i was only talking about cartoon cartoons of the tradition of Loony Toons. i know anime delivers, and Avatar did a good job.

u make a good point with the kids imitating. while i believe some kids do dangerous stuff regardless. i can see how they get some ideas from cartoons. but it just goes to show that no matter how careful u are, even with the high standards of a preschool show, u cant make them kid proof. not that this gives cart blanch to go all out violent. but it shows that nothing is fool proof.

Rizwan the Captive Member
Member Avatar
I'm Not Into Labels...the First
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
macattack
Sep 24 2009, 12:40 AM
In Turkey a decade ago a couple of children thought they could fly like Pidgey and both got seriously injured, and that wound up causing the show to be banned there for a couple of years, and when it came back it was edited beyond the norm compared to Pokemon's edits in the rest of the world.

Pokemon is edited? For what!? Too much tomfoolerly? :lol:
Seriously though, I cannot imagine what that show would be edited for. I mean, the whole show is about imossible, and if people use this Turkish incident as an example, the show would cease to exist. I mean, every other Pokemon can either fly or breath underwater. Editing that already incredibly kid-friendly show doesn't make sense to IMO. Anyway...

« Previous Topic · Everything Else · Next Topic »
Add Reply