Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Toonami Fan. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ASA SHow of the Night
Bleach (PREMIERE) 1 (33.3%)
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 0 (0%)
Durarara!! 0 (0%)
Kekkaishi 0 (0%)
FLCL 1 (33.3%)
Cowboy Bebop 0 (0%)
Big O 0 (0%)
Ghost in the Shell 0 (0%)
Inuyasha 0 (0%)
Any/all Toonami promos we get 0 (0%)
HULK SMASH PUNY ASA! HULK WANT TOONAMI! 1 (33.3%)
Total Votes: 3
Toonami Fan's Final ASA Talkback; To create you must destroy
Topic Started: May 18 2012, 10:55 AM (341 Views)
macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is the law of equivalent exchange.

In order to get Toonami, Adult Swim Action (aka ASA) must be given up. You can argue whether Toonami has more value than ASA, but ASA currently has just as many hours as the new Toonami will have. Adult Swim Action's lifespan was just as long as Toonami's original run as well, about 11 years. Hence, they have equal value to a degree.

Reminiscence about the 11 years of Adult Swim Action, from back to when it was just an hour of Cowboy Bebop to the six hours of anime we have now. This is also the thread to discuss any Toonami promos we may or may not get. One thing's for sure, though: Don't expect any show reveals during the final ASA broadcast (other than where Bleach stands, that I think will happen). Jason DeMarco (Toonami creator and revival mastermind) said on his Twitter that the schedule is staying a secret until Toonami actually starts airing. In other words, 5/26 will be just like 4/1 where we're guessing what's coming up next.

So yeah, let's enjoy (or, rather, try to suppress) weird grandma with the blue hand in the computer one last time. XD Toonami goodness begins next week.

Ride 'em, cowboy.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Wow, nobody watched the final ASA? At least Bleach didn't go quietly, with all of the DBZ-esque bellowing that went on in that episode. XD

Daikun
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
I stopped watching Adult Swim when Durarara!! ended. Save for the April Fool's stunt, I hadn't watched it since.

Most of the schedule had become rather stale since around 2009, so I didn't bother watching. It was the same shows they were airing over and over and over and over...

It'll be nice to see a couple of new shows spice up the lineup a bit, as well as FINALLY giving the overplayed FLCL, Big O (well, half of it), and Inuyasha a much-needed break.

macattack
Member Avatar
Watch Your Head.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
They're still running GITS and Bebop though, but Steve Blum saying "We now return to Cowboy Bebop . . . on Toonami" was probably too epic to pass up and GITS is almost finished with its run actually. I wouldn't be surprised if the intention is to eventually replace them with different programming if the block gets some good ratings. Deadman is only a 12-episode show and it'll be finished when GITS and Bebop are as well, so if the block's ratings shoot up we may see quite a bit of programming cycle in.

Toonami has to start from somewhere and its debut lineup is a lot better than the 1997 one, which stayed the way it was for a LONG time apparently and grew just as stale as the final ASA lineup did.

I am curious why DRRR!! and Kekkaishi had to be replaced (especially as both shows were wrapping up their runs) and their ratings were a bit better than GITS and Bebop. I wonder if the powers-that-be decided they simply didn't want DRRR!! and Kekkaishi to be Toonami shows.

Or it could be because DRRR!! and Kekkaishi have lighter-toned moods that kinda clash with the severe violence of Deadman Wonderland and the bleak atmosphere of Casshern.

Daikun
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
macattack
May 24 2012, 11:28 PM
Or it could be because DRRR!! and Kekkaishi have lighter-toned moods that kinda clash with the severe violence of Deadman Wonderland and the bleak atmosphere of Casshern.

Lighter-toned?

For Kekkaishi, I can see that, but Durarara!! is pretty damned dark.

Personally, I thought Kekkaishi was a pretty mediocre show, so I don't mind seeing it gone. Yes, it's a Toonami-worthy show (tone doesn't matter, action does, and Kekkaishi has plenty of that), but compared to the other shows on the lineup, it's just not very good.

Durarara!! was a mixed bag. The first half was very solid, but the second half completely derails. The show could have been good throughout, but somewhere down the road, the large cast of main characters dwindles to the three least interesting in the whole cast, while the way more interesting characters are demoted to extras, leaving way too many plot threads hanging in the process. That show badly needs another season to properly wrap things up, but it doesn't look like it'll be coming anytime soon, unfortunately. :(

Yes, that show could also conceivably be on Toonami, but I think it'd be great if Japan made another season first and Toonami started airing that. The PR said they would make original programming if they had the funds; I think that would be a great endeavor.

Durmgrid
Member Avatar
Novice
[ * ]
As far as it being the last night of this 'ASA' you're talking about (never heard it called that, actually...), I'd say we got the better end of the deal. However, I think it's not so much 'pay one to get the other' as it is a merger between the two, especially since it's still got some stuff from ASA (Bebop and GITS, repeats second half, etc.).

As badly as I wanted Toonami back, and as glad as I am to have it back, they cut out Kekkaishi just for the one episode I happened to miss the last time around, so now it looks like I'll never see it. Still, small price to pay...

Daikun
Member Avatar
Revolutionary
[ *  *  *  * ]
Daikun
May 25 2012, 01:28 AM
Durarara!! was a mixed bag. [...] That show badly needs another season to properly wrap things up, but it doesn't look like it'll be coming anytime soon, unfortunately. :(

...And another season is coming!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
« Previous Topic · General Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply