Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Speedrun Route?
Topic Started: Jan 28 2018, 04:18 PM (75 Views)
Sherkel
Member Avatar
ガガガガガガッ!
I saw a post on here mentioning someone working on a speedrun of one of the original games. Are there any notes or important discoveries I should know about if I want to try running it? Speedrunning would be one heck of a way to bring some novelty back to this series. I saw that there was one completed run on speedrun.com, from which I gathered that you need Krypto at level 10 by Tabasco 2 and level 61 before Kai 1, but I wasn't able to tell much else in the way of techniques.
Edited by Sherkel, Jan 28 2018, 04:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sherkel
Member Avatar
ガガガガガガッ!
So, recently our fellow member Maribel Hearn has decided to gopher it (in both Telefang 1 and 2!) and get down to a 2:28 in Telefang 1! The basic idea is still following the walkthrough, but what caused the massive time-save is calling Ornithogalum at the start. Kanzou sometimes wastes time in battle due to its personality and doesn't hit for as much damage on late-game bosses, hence why Orny is used instead. You can't use experience items on either during the run, as you don't get the necessary passes for those Denjuu until clearing the campaign, but it turns out you don't need to. If this isn't encouragement, I don't know what is!

Posted Image
Edited by Sherkel, Feb 20 2018, 09:54 AM.

Maribel Hearn
Member Avatar
It should also be noted that I went with the Speed version for a reason, namely a faster Doomsday battle. Speed lets you recruit Maoran and Bashou in Bryon Ruins (or both, even better, if you're lucky enough to find both and have them join you), who can freeze Doomsday. Bashou can deal very high damage to him as well after freezing, together with Ornithogalum. In my 2h28 I had Maoran join me but I got unlucky as Frost Breath missed twice, so I wasn't really able to use the strat. Oh well. Bryon Ruins is also full of event Gentiana fights in Speed, who get conveniently one-shotted by Ornithogalum.

Speaking of Ornithogalum, it being Mountain type is unfortunately quite bad, since the many T-Fanger battles during the lategame are full of Grassland types, all of which are only a 3HKO. It helps to get a Potzal or Guntzatl from a T-Fanger as early as you can, since these have high Attack and compensate for the weakness. Regardless of this weakness Ornithogalum still seems to be the fastest to go through the game with, given Kanzou is Selfish and the other possible starting (secret or not) Denjuu start at lv30 or lower rather than lv50, so they require exp. item abuse for a fast run.

I'm not exactly sure whether playing Power or Speed makes a significant difference for the run outside of Bryon Ruins.

The 2h28 run can be watched here: https://www.speedrun.com/telefang/run/z5owjvgy

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Telefang 1 · Next Topic »
Add Reply