Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Telefang 2 English Bootleg; aka Pokémon Ruby; discussion topic
Topic Started: Apr 22 2009, 10:22 AM (6,942 Views)
Sanky
Member Avatar
Also known as Sanqui // Strong beam of light sent out from the huge hollow ahead
It's... awesome...
Posted Image
more screens (yes I know that one screenshot is there twice, my mistake)
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE SCREENSHOTS: The Denjuu in screenshots with yellow border have nicknames. In the game, they are called differently. Menus in the screenshots with red borders were acessed using a savestate (because they won't load). Thus things, that are actually translated (when the game is played on a real cart) are here left untranslated.

Some random facts:
In the denjuu picture book, every description is just "OK!!" (it was same for all denjuu in the Chinese bootleg, again proving that they are related).
No denjuu name is longer then five characters it seems.
The moves are weird, too. VTStrike! Stonball! QC-Paced!
But, aside from that, the translations are a LOT better then Diamond/Jade. The only thing they suffer from is being translated from crappy Chinese.

NOTE: All I'm getting right now is a bad dump where the menu doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out why. I'll eventually get it fixed. So, to actually get past the title screen, just load an savestate.

I want to keep the ROM private for now (don't want to spread the bad dump, I'll wait until I dump one with working menu), but every member of Tulunk is free to contact me and I'll send it to them.

Before you write me about the ROM, ask yourself a question: do you want to hack and test the game, or just play it? If it's the latter, then the ROM is not for you!
Edited by Sanky, Oct 13 2009, 09:41 PM.

GET ON THE TULUNK VILLAGE DISCORD!
Here's how!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Blaziken257
Member Avatar
In severe illness!
I'm curious to how you found that. I can tell these are the same pirates because the title screen is similar! Except it has Groudon instead. And that font is hideous. I take it back when I say the original Diamond and Jade have the worst font I've ever seen in a video game. THIS is now the worst font I've seen in a game. The letters don't even align properly, and the lowercase letters are all different sizes. And what's with the uneven padding on every letter? Seriously, what am I looking at? Bad fonts can really kill a game too.

The move names are really weird too, and so are the Denjuu names. Leku? Dorin? And what's with "War" instead of "Fight"? And finally, what's with the setup on the phone? It's supposed to be ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ. Not a-f-k-p-u-z-b-c-d-%-e-!! At least they HAVE that feature unlike the original though.

Can it save properly? And can you dial secret Denjuu?

Seriously, though, what am I looking at here... I can't believe my eyes.

And I still can't over that font... I never thought I'd see the day where I'd hate a font more than Diamond/Jade.

And I'm also curious to what they named the items...

Sanky
Member Avatar
Also known as Sanqui // Strong beam of light sent out from the huge hollow ahead
Quote:

I'm curious to how you found that.
Remember when I posted a thread about Drakencarver's bootleg? Yeah, this is it. Dumped by me :3
Quote:

And finally, what's with the setup on the phone? It's supposed to be ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ. Not a-f-k-p-u-z-b-c-d-%-e-!! At least they HAVE that feature unlike the original though.
Actually, when you press A multiple times, you get the next letter. And you can switch the phone to display g-h-i-j-l-m-n-o-r-%-w-!. Both of these screens are lowecase. And then to the original ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PRQ-STU-VWX-YZ (these are capitals). And then to 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-*-0-#.
Quote:

Can it save properly? And can you dial secret Denjuu?
On the cart, everything works properly. You can't save/load on this rom because the menu won't load... It actually exists and works fine (on real cart or when savestate-loaded), but when you try to open it, it gets into some weird loop or something. It's not an emulator issue, because Normmatt tested the rom on his gba.
Quote:

And I'm also curious to what they named the items...

Nail, Hook, KiteThrd, Rope, PPrKnife, SvKnife, Lighter, DryLight, Mirror, Recorder... Not bad if you ask me.

Here's how!

onyxraven
I shall watch this eagerly, once the menus sorted, i'll be very happy. Engrish it may be, but it's just fun that way, and i have to admit, i enjoyed "pokemon diamond" the bootleg original, more then i enjoyed the real pokemon diamond of later years! Engrish and all. :)

rjed
Member Avatar
TelefADDICT!
uhm, Sanky..can i have a copy of that rom..
i want to try this bootleg....just PM me

Sanky
Member Avatar
Sent.
To others waiting for the menu-enabled version, don't get your hopes up. Unless some hacker that knows assembly could remove the infinite loop, we're stuck with this version... /:
If you have any questions, though, feel free to ask.
Edited by Sanky, Oct 12 2009, 05:03 AM.

Here's how!

rjed
Member Avatar
TelefADDICT!
thanks Sanky :)

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
Sanky
Oct 12 2009, 05:02 AM
Sent.
To others waiting for the menu-enabled version, don't get your hopes up. Unless some hacker that knows assembly could remove the infinite loop, we're stuck with this version... /:
If you have any questions, though, feel free to ask.
Can I have a copy? It should be somewhat legal since I own the original game. I want to have a look at the problem and attempt to solve it.
Edited by andwhyisit, Oct 12 2009, 04:25 PM.
If I say that I am going to do something and I don't get around to it then please remind me.

Sanky
Member Avatar
Alright. Thanks, Andwhy.

Here's how!

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
Not sure if this belongs here but the dump was repeated in the rom after $7FFFFF as padding until $1FFFFFF, which is why the dump is 32mb in size and the original rom is 8mb in size.

I have removed the padding and created a patch to apply to the Japanese power version rom:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojz2ytjqmme
(EDIT: Is it alright if I put the link here?)

I have also created a list of differences between the original and the bootleg that is big enough to crash notepad:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lywggmoxu1y

Is it possible to dump the original power version in the same way? I would like to see the differences between the good power dump (internet) and your power dump and search for those differences in the bootleg dump. It would make searching that metaphorical haystack of a rom much easier.

Also as a side note, where did you get your backup device from? I am looking to get one for Jade.
Edited by andwhyisit, Oct 18 2009, 03:51 AM.
If I say that I am going to do something and I don't get around to it then please remind me.

Sanky
Member Avatar
Wow, good job!
My backup device is my DS. Using a homebrew program called GBA Backup Tool, which I loaded on my flash card, I made a "backup" of the game in the GBA slot. I tried it with a different game before (Megaman Battle Network 4) and it worked.
I don't have an original T2 cartridge to test dumping on, sorry...
I also don't have a GB backup device. Since the DS is unable to read GB games, I'd need a special device... I'd also like to dump my Jade.
As for the patch, I linked one for T1 to Pokémon Diamond Chinese, and I don't think it's illegal... It's a gray area too, though.

EDIT: By the way, just remembered. The GBA Backup Tool also has a 'trim' function, which is supposed to trim the overdump, but menu didn't work whenever I trimmed it or not. Seems like I uploaded the overdump, because I thought some of the extra data may be the cause/useful for correcting the dump.
Edited by Sanky, Oct 16 2009, 11:59 PM.

Here's how!

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
Sanky
Oct 16 2009, 11:55 PM
Wow, good job!
My backup device is my DS. Using a homebrew program called GBA Backup Tool, which I loaded on my flash card, I made a "backup" of the game in the GBA slot. I tried it with a different game before (Megaman Battle Network 4) and it worked.
I don't have an original T2 cartridge to test dumping on, sorry...
I also don't have a GB backup device. Since the DS is unable to read GB games, I'd need a special device... I'd also like to dump my Jade.
As for the patch, I linked one for T1 to Pokémon Diamond Chinese, and I don't think it's illegal... It's a gray area too, though.

EDIT: By the way, just remembered. The GBA Backup Tool also has a 'trim' function, which is supposed to trim the overdump, but menu didn't work whenever I trimmed it or not. Seems like I uploaded the overdump, because I thought some of the extra data may be the cause/useful for correcting the dump.
On the subject of the "GBA Backup Tool" homebrew:
I have a copy of power version that I can use. Dumping my own GBA games seems like a good reason for me to get a DS.

Aggh! I could have gotten an R4 at the computer market if I knew. :'(
Oh well. I'll get one 4 weeks from now. In the meantime I'll go get myself a DS.

What version of the "GBA Backup Tool" homebrew did you use? For this to work I need the exact same setup as you.

On the subject of patch distribution:
Linking to a patch is quite legal. My only concern is that you said you didn't want this to be publicly distributed until the menu was fixed.

On the subject of gameboy rom dumping:
It isn't only Jade that I need dumped, it is my save for Pokemon Silver as well.

On the subject of the overdump:
I noticed that the fourth loop of data is corrupted at the very end (which turns the menu into a mess). The first three are exactly the same.

Sanky
Member Avatar
Yeah, alright. Post the patch.
I tested V0.1 and V0.21 of the GBA Backup Tool, and both resulted in the same ROM.
As for DS flashcards, I can recommend any M3 (I own a M3i Zero). Of course, it's your choice.
Hmm... I actually dumped the rom with friend's EDGE flash card. I should try it again with my M3, maybe I'll get different results.

Here's how!

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
Sanky
Oct 17 2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah, alright. Post the patch.
I tested V0.1 and V0.21 of the GBA Backup Tool, and both resulted in the same ROM.
As for DS flashcards, I can recommend any M3 (I own a M3i Zero). Of course, it's your choice.
Hmm... I actually dumped the rom with friend's EDGE flash card. I should try it again with my M3, maybe I'll get different results.
I doubt it makes much of a difference which card you use.

Also are you sure that they are exactly the same? Did you run a file comparison on the resulting roms?

Sanky
Member Avatar
Yeah, I think so... But I'll check again when I get home.

Here's how!

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
I managed to get a hold of an R4 card. Now all I need is a DS and I can get this working. :)

Tkallab
Member Avatar
Those are 3D-glasses
I don't think you can play .gba's on an R4 without extra hardware for slot 2. I know that's the deal with supercard...
Yeah, I was right... http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69717
Edited by Tkallab, Nov 1 2009, 12:34 AM.
[css-div="background: url('http://www.pokecommunity.com/signaturepics/sigpic73284_20.gif'); background-repeat:no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 300px; border-style: solid; border-color: grey;text-align:left"][css-div="position: relative; left: 275px; top: 258px"][/css-div]

[/css-div]

CSS

Y U NO WORK PROPERLY

Sanky
Member Avatar
You can, however, dump them. DS software can't access GBA hardware directly, but only though the use of a slot-2 device. It can, however, access data on the GBA cartridge, both the ROM and the save (an official example is Pal Park in Pokémon).

By the way, awesome, Andwhy!
Edited by Sanky, Nov 1 2009, 02:04 AM.

Here's how!

andwhyisit
Member Avatar
Telefreak
Bad news:
I dumped the Japanese power version with GBA Backup Tool v0.21 and got a perfect 1 on 1 copy of what is floating around on the internet. This kinda defeats the original purpose of getting myself an R4 and a DS since I was looking for differences between the two files. :(

Anyone know of a good GBA debugger besides No$GBA?

Also I didn't see a trim function, it was done automatically. You may want to attempt dumping the game with v0.21 just to be sure.

Good news:
I dumped save data from my GBA carts. Oh and I have a bootleg of my own to share now. ^_^
Edited by andwhyisit, Nov 5 2009, 02:56 AM.

Sanky
Member Avatar
Aww. That's too bad \: I'll try to dump it again, alright.
As for the bootleg, do you mean the Pokémon Leaf Green one? If so, I'd love to see it!

EDIT: When using the dumper on my M3i Zero, it reports "This hardware is not available." and the DS turns off upon pressing A. |:
Until now, I never had any problems with homebrew on M3. I guess I'll have to borrow the EDGE again. (and M3 is supposed to be a better brand !)

EDIT2: Nevermind, I didn't see that you posted a topic about the bootleg.
Edited by Sanky, Nov 5 2009, 08:10 AM.

Here's how!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Telefang 2 · Next Topic »
Add Reply