Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
I Think I Can; Alex Brooks
Topic Started: Nov 7 2015, 07:48 PM (70 Views)
Dredd

12 Hours Ago.

Alex Brooks took a flight from Colorado to rejoin the SHOOT Project World Tour. He had notified them last week that he was able to rejoin the tour after helping organise a nursing home for his grandmother.

10 Hours Ago.

Alex Brooks checked into the Sydney Olympic Park Novotel, a hotel that is approximately a three minute walk from Acer Arena, the venue for Dominion 2.

9 Hours Ago.

Alex Brooks checked the bookings.

Shock.

This was a big moment for Alex; it was the first time he had left the country, having not made the trip to Japan for family issues. Now, sitting in a hotel room, in a foreign land he had just discovered that he was about to Main Event a SHOOT Project show and compete for one of the major titles in the company.

He was shocked that the company had granted him such an opportunity, after being taught a lesson by Mr. Heart at Reckoning Day in their match for the Sin City Championship.

When it came down to it, he didn’t really think he deserved to in the match…

But…

He wasn’t going to let a shot at the title pass him by. He was going to work out a way to become SHOOT Project Rules of Surrender Champion.

Someway, Somehow.

Sleep.

Alex dreamed he would win the Rule of Surrender Title at Dominion. He dreamed he raised that title belt above his head while the cameras flashed and the fans cheered his victory.

1 Hour Ago.

Alex Brooks in his hotel room, looking out of over Sydney’s Olympic Precinct, the grand stadium that was the centrepiece of the best Olympic Games ever, dominates his eye line, past the stadium, but barely in view, is the glass façade of Acer Arena, the venue for Dominion 2.

Alex Brooks just stared out that window lost in thought.

The thought of becoming a champion.

Alex turns and walks away from the window.

[center:2jvxq8wu]~~~[/center:2jvxq8wu]

Alex Brooks is standing in the massive open foyer of Acer Arena. Stairs to the left and right that take the audience to second tier of Stadium, an empty merchandise stand in front of him, behind that an empty food stall and empty bar. Behind them, the doors to the arena bowl.

Alex spins in a slow moving circle taking in the venue, before making his way into the empty arena, walking through the short hallway to the seating. Brooks surveys the surrounds before sitting on one of the fold down red fabric seats, he looks at the large video screen pinned to ceiling, and down onto the empty concrete floor.

“I’ve been thinking about Dominion. I’ve been thinking about the fact I’m competing for a title in SHOOT Project. I’ve been thinking about the men I have to face for this title.”

“Thinking about Ozzy, Ron Barker, TMB, X-Calibur… me. I’ve been thinking when you compare all of us it’s like a game of pick the thing that doesn’t fit in the group. And when you think about, I’m the only one that doesn’t fit in the group.”

“But… then I think if I’m in SHOOT Project… then I must belong.”

“Honestly, I’ve been thinking a lot.”

“I’ve been thinking been how I relate to this match. I’m not a former champion; I’m not a legend of the sport. I’m just a young kid who’s taking a chance. Really, I’m just like the little engine that could… Some of you may know that story, but let me repeat it for you, just so you understand.”

“A little railroad engine was employed about a station yard for such work as it was built for, pulling a few cars on and off the switches. One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight-cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill "I can't; that is too much a pull for me," said the great engine built for hard work. Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses and be refused. In desperation, the train asked the little switch engine to draw it up the grade and down on the other side. "I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train. As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

“How does that story relate to me and this match? It’s a series of metaphors. Me, I’m the little engine, the underdog, the one that outsiders look at it as cannon fodder. But, it’s not going to stop me from doing everything in my power to achieve what I need to achieve, and that’s hauling my load up the mountain, or in my case, winning the Rules of Surrender title. And the mountain, well that’s the metaphor for opponents.”

“Can I beat Ozzy Kilminster? I think I can.”

“Ozzy, this match, and this division it’s tailor-made for your skill-set. Your mixed martial arts background, your superior technical skill. Let’s be honest when you compare our resumes side by side, no one is even going to consider me a threat to you, and why should they? It’s not like I’ve done anything to be even spoken about in the vein as you. I know that, but… that’s not going to stop from doing everything I can do to overcome your superior knowledge of submission holds or the obvious strength advantage you have over me. Everything the common man knows about you and me says you should beat me. You’re fresh off a victory over our reigning world champion. My last match was a fairly comprehensive defeat at the hands of Mr. Heart. You’ve won titles in SHOOT, LEGACY, WPW and everywhere you’ve been; I’ve barely won a match. Everything I’ve done, you’ve probably done something better, something more. Even a couple of shows ago, you fell just short in an attempt at the world title.

But… that won’t matter at Dominion. The only thing that will matter than is whether I can work out some way of making you submit. Making your tap or say “I quit”. Then again, that’s all that is going to matter to you. That’s all that is going to matter to everyone in this. Making everyone else someone submit.

I’m going to try and do it you, you’re going to try and do it to me, and everyone else for that matter. Even when you had to face Sinnocence you were still willing to do what it took to win. You are a dangerous opponent. I know that. And if you are willing to make your own wife submit to you, I wonder what you will be willing to do to me…”

“I cringe when I think about that… But, it just makes me want to be better so you can’t hurt me. I’d rather see you hurt Ron Barker.”

“Can I beat Ron Barker? I think I can.”

“Ron. I watched you against Tanya Black. A match that was I supposed to be a part of until my Grandma got sick. Thank you for doing that at such short notice, but just because you filled in for me, it doesn’t mean that I expect you to do me any favours. I hope you come at me to beat me, because that means if I am able to overcome you I will be proving myself as a capable wrestler against a decorated opponent like yourself. But, I am also telling you this, because of our known habit of performing brilliantly for a period of time and then just not bothering to put an effort in.”

“I don’t want that Ron Barker, it won't prove to me that I am improving. I want the Ron Barker that was considered the newcomer of the year in 2005. The man that was once considered a viable threat to the most prestigious title in the industry, the SHOOT Project World Heavyweight Title. If I get to face that Ron Barker in the ring and I win, or even lose after putting up my best I know I am improving. I’ll know I’m hauling that freight further up that mountain.”

“But… if I get the Ron Barker that doesn’t care, the Ron Barker that was defeated by Jack Heart back before SHOOT Project’s last hiatus, that is not going to prove to me that I am get better, and that will leave me disappointed. I want to be the best… that’s why I am relishing the chance to compete in this match, even if a lot of you don’t think I’m ready. But I am ready, Ron. I’m ready for anything you can throw at me. I’m ready for you. I might not be able to beat you… yet. But I am ready for you.”

“Just as I am ready for Thomas Manchester Black.”

“Can I beat Thomas Manchester Black? I think I can.”

“Tom, can I call you that? It’s just a little less of a mouthful than saying Thomas Manchester Black all the time. So, Tom, in this match, you are the only one without a title history here in SHOOT Project and that’s not a knock on you, because any man that can force that crazy Pestalance to submit is obviously super talented. Especially when you are talented enough to make Donovan King sit up and take notice. I notice you too, Tom. I notice the technical mastery you have over wrestling holds that one day I hope to be able to match.”

“I know you are capable of playing games of chess that would rival Bobby Fischer. Jerry told me he was the greatest chess player ever. But, we are not talking about chess are we, Tom? We are talking about how I hope to beat you in the match for the Rules of Surrender Title. And that’s what I am hoping to do. Beat you. I hoping to find away to overcome your knowledge of submission holds, hoping to overcome your knowledge of martial arts tactics. I hoping I’m strong enough to stand up to your strikes.”

“These are all things I hope, because if I can achieve these things, I will be in a much better position to be the champion. And that means a lot to me. Just as I am sure it means a lot to you too. Just as I am sure you will be coming at me with everything you have… or at least I hope that. Because I’m well aware of your ability to be distracted, your ability to look past the present and into the future, and I know Donovan King is a much bigger fish than I am in SHOOT Project’s ocean. But, if you forget about me… I know I am capable of making you take notice. And that might mean I beat you, I might not. Let’s find out at Dominion shall we.”

“Let’s find out if I am capable of making all of my opponents take notice, even X-Calibur.”

“Can I beat X-Calibur? I think I can?”

“I need to start by telling you are a legend of the ring. I remember when you were wrestling in the NYSWF. You were once a hero of mine, before I got lucky and joined SHOOT Project, so to be facing you in the ring. It’s sort of a dream come true. But, just because you were, are, a hero of mine that doesn’t mean that I will just lie down and let you beat me, and just take that title without a fight.”

“I don’t roll like that.”

“But even if I did you wouldn’t let me roll like that, would you? All the stuff you’ve done to a man that was supposedly your friend in Rocky Stellar. Imagine what you would do to me, someone that you probably haven’t heard much about apart from a couple of by-lines on a results sheet. But, X, I might only be a line on a bit of paper or a computer screen to you, but to me you are much, much more that. You are a man I look up tp, a man I try to emulate. Your Hang Time Elbow is one of my favourite moves of all time, the elevation, the distance, the precision you display when you execute that move. I wish I could do that.”

“I wish.”

“I know I haven’t got your talent or experience, X. And I definitely don’t have your mean streak, but I like to think of myself as a tough little hombre that will stand up to everything you can throw at me. I know I will. I know you will want to hurt me… Because, that is what you do, just for laughs… at least since you came back to SHOOT Project anyway. Hanging out with Azrael Goeren and that Russian guy whose name I can’t say making money of other peoples misery. I can’t say I think that is a very good thing to do, because it’s clearly not very nice. Yet, if that’s why you gotta do, that’s what you gotta do.”

“X, you are hero of mine for what you can do in the ring, but not for who you are, especially now. You are good. Very good. Doesn’t mean I am going to be a deer in headlights when I’m standing across the ring from you, though. I’m going to come at you with as much as I have, because as they say it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. And I have a lot of fight. I might not have as much talent as you, but I am not a quitter.”

“I’m not going to down without a fight. If you beat me, you will have earned it. I will make sure of it.”

“I will definitely make sure of it.”

“Because I am SHOOT Project’s version of the little engine that could.”

Alex gets up from his seat and turns his back on the middle of the bowl to walk back out into the foyer of Acer Arena.

“There is a finish to the little engine story too… It goes like this.”

“As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I--think--I--can, I--think--I--can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could, I thought I could.”

“The end of that story relates to me too, right now I think I can beat all of you but when I’ve reached the end of the mountain at Dominion, when I've beaten the odds and the final bell has been rung, and the champion decided..."

"I will know I could.”

Fade.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jones

This was a great battle we were all involved in. This was one of my first matches back in SHOOT Project after LEGACY closed. I believe it came down to Brooks and X before Brooks beat X with a classic sleeper hold or something. It was awesome. #memories
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · History of the Circle · Next Topic »
Add Reply