Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Go to iCheckMovies

iCM Forum's Favourite Directors: Submit your lists now! Deadline 21st December 2014

iCM Forum Film World Cup: Russia vs Greece vs Tunisia Deadline 30th November 2014

Film of the Week: Szürkület (1990)

Welcome to the Unofficial iCheckMovies Forum!

Please sign-up with your iCheckMovies.com username.

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Noir Challenge; August 2011
Topic Started: Jul 22 2011, 04:38 PM (6,572 Views)
mightysparks
Member Avatar
Administrator
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Noir Challenge
Posted Image

Goal:
Watch as many movies as you can that fit into the 'noir' genre; to quote Kasparius: "Noir, Neo-Noir, Japanese Noir, French Noir, British Noir. Let's Go Crazy!!". If you are in doubt whether a movie counts or not, just ask.

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 45 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 90 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (45 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 90 minute rule applies.
- No rewatches

Challenge runs from 1 August 2011 - 31 August 2011.

250 Quintessential Noir Films list may come in handy.

Participants:
1. ormazd - 115
2. bal3x - 69
3. beeswax - 61
4. allisoncm - 54
5. Crinderman - 42
6. rohit - 36
7. burneyfan - 35
8. gerryt - 32
9. sebby - 27
10. Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi - 15
11. afirm - 13
12. MMAlpha - 10
13. Kasparius - 6
14. Quartoxuma - 4
15. mightysparks - 3
moviefreak - 3
16. DeanWindow - 2
George Bailey - 2
17. Bobby Peru - 1
monty - 1
Edited by mightysparks, Sep 1 2011, 01:50 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I was planning to watch a noir tonight, actually, so rather than postpone I may just start earlier. I don't think I'll be racking up huge numbers, but there is always a mix of noirs sprinkled throughout my Netflix list and I'm always prowling TCM for anything on the TSPDT 250 that I haven't seen, so I'm in!

ormazd
Member Avatar
Droogan Leader
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm nearly at a bronze level on that noir list (120/250). Perhaps I can achieve silver during August.
That's only 68...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MMAlpha
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
As someone else is starting early, I'll happily join them. I'm going to be really busy towards the end of August as I move house, and I'll be without Internet access for quite a while.

Edit: never mind, I just saw the post about not allowing early starts. I'll be taking part for about three weeks in August, then!
Edited by MMAlpha, Jul 22 2011, 05:29 PM.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Administrator
Local Hero, I discussed it further and we've decided not to have any early starts. Obviously you are still free to watch the noirs now, but only films watched in August will count for the challenge. Sorry :( Do you still want to participate for August?

Sorry MMAlpha, we just decided it was too complicated to keep track of multiple starting points and this way, everyone is part of the same team :(
Edited by mightysparks, Jul 22 2011, 05:33 PM.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I agree with that decision. I'll start August 1st.

rohit
Member Avatar
Guerilla Intern
 *  *  *  * ]
I am in. I love Noir and have a lot of movies left.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I am in for August 1st. Unfortunately I have a strict schedule and I only have the last few days of August to strongly participate. While I may not have high numbers, I think I'll be able to at least have some fun and watch some noirs.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
That's too bad. I was going to watch Impact tonight, but I'll consider saving it for two weeks I suppose.

I also just watched Murder by Contract -- what a bizarre noir! Seems to enjoy tweaking the viewer's nose and subverting expectations at every turn. Good fun, though-- very taut atmosphere.
Edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi, Jul 22 2011, 07:48 PM.

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Jul 22 2011, 05:27 PM
Local Hero, I discussed it further and we've decided not to have any early starts. Obviously you are still free to watch the noirs now, but only films watched in August will count for the challenge. Sorry :( Do you still want to participate for August?

Sorry MMAlpha, we just decided it was too complicated to keep track of multiple starting points and this way, everyone is part of the same team :(
Rats! I just zoomed through a buncha noir -- partly because I'm trying to watch stuff in my Netflix Instant Watch queue that isn't on disc before I cancel IW in September.

Seriously, like over a dozen films (not all of them on lists) in the last week. Sadness.

I will have to think about joining the challenge -- my IW-priority-viewing may get in the way now that I snarfled up so many of the noirs.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Yeah, I saw Woman on the Run yesterday, because I needed a film from 1950. I'd have loved to have saved it for the noir challenge, but oh well, I guess. :(

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
I'm in for this one as well!

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
As long as you guys are talking "rules," I do have a couple other questions.

What are you going to use as your arbiter-of-noir? Only if it's listed in the Film Noir Encyclopedia? Frinstance, I watched a couple of films in my noir episode this week that were in a "noir" box set but which I have a sneaking suspicion would not really be considered noir by certain hardcore fans.

It's one of the few genres where people can have sincere disagreements about whether to include titles -- horror might be another example. I tend to be more strict than some of my noir-fan friends and less strict than others.

Will you allow pre-noir, neo-noir and noir from other countries besides the U.S.?

Do re-watches count? I'm interested in the answer to this in regards to the upcoming French challenge as well.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Administrator
I'm not sure about the other stuff (I'll let Kasparius answer), but I'd allow rewatches, obviously others can voice their opinion on this too, but I don't see why rewatches shouldn't count.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
46 / 250 on my noir list so I should participate.
Don't think I can do more than 20 though, would like to watch something else as well :)

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Administrator
Unless you are crazy like Kasparius :P it's best to mix it up a little, or you'll get put off. Remember, it's not about winning, it's about having fun!

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
mightysparks
Jul 23 2011, 11:19 AM
Unless you are crazy like Kasparius :P it's best to mix it up a little, or you'll get put off. Remember, it's not about winning, it's about having fun!
No no, I would hardly try competing with guys like Kasparius, Chemosh... :woot:

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
A few of us were discussing this on the "Future Challenges" thread a few days ago (I think the "Noir Challenge" thread hadn't been created yet), and it seemed like everyone who responded was very cool with neo-noir, ex-US noir, modern noir, pre-noir, etc. -- people just had to be willing to defend their choices if they picked a film like, say, Bambi.

One of my first films may be Madigan -- it's in color and outside the time period (1968), but TSPDT lists it among its 962 noir/noiresque films. (They used strict criteria to generate their "250 quintessentials" list, but the broader list of 962 contains modern noir, "foreign" noir, etc.) More info on their criteria and broader list is available at http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir.htm
Edited by burneyfan, Jul 23 2011, 12:41 PM.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
burneyfan
Jul 23 2011, 12:34 PM
One of my first films may be Madigan -- it's in color and outside the time period (1968), but TSPDT lists it among its 962 noir/noiresque films. (They used strict criteria to generate their "250 quintessentials" list, but the broader list of 962 contains modern noir, "foreign" noir, etc.) More info on their criteria and broader list is available at http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir.htm
Thanks for reminding about Madigan! Wanted to see it for a while so will put it on the watch list. Widmark and Fonda usually don't disappoint.

Interesting that TSPDT noir range is 1940 to 1964 whereas IMDB restricts it to 1958, which is a shame since there are quite a few great noirs that have come out after 1958, one of those is Blast of Silence (1961), which I would recommend highly.
Edited by bal3x, Jul 23 2011, 04:27 PM.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noirneo.htm

Quite a range here :blink:

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
bal3x
Jul 23 2011, 04:27 PM

Interesting that TSPDT noir range is 1940 to 1964 whereas IMDB restricts it to 1958, which is a shame since there are quite a few great noirs that have come out after 1958, one of those is Blast of Silence (1961), which I would recommend highly.
Blast of Silence is on the larger TSPDT list of 962...it's probably hiding in the "post-1964" part of the list. They break it up into inconvenient chunks on their site, but I have the full list on my listology account (unless I have accidentally omitted something):
http://www.listology.com/burneyfan/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-theys-962-noir-films-incl-250-quintessential-noirs
The bolded films are the quintessential 250; the rest are TSPDT's supplementary choices.
Edited by burneyfan, Jul 23 2011, 06:21 PM.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
burneyfan
Jul 23 2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.listology.com/burneyfan/list/they-shoot-pictures-dont-theys-962-noir-films-incl-250-quintessential-noirs
The bolded films are the quintessential 250; the rest are TSPDT's supplementary choices.
Many thanks! Bookmarked now! :)
Edited by bal3x, Jul 23 2011, 06:24 PM.

George Bailey
Member Avatar
Nana Mouskouri fan!
I'll do my best, even though school starts in August :)

ormazd
Member Avatar
Droogan Leader
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thanks for that list, burneyfan!

afirm
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. But I'm moving this month, and my studie starts, so I guess it will be a limited amount.

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Noir is a state of mind. And I think we didn't allow re-watches in the other challenge. I think a challenge is about challenging yourself as well. It's much easier to watch 10 films you know you will love, no chance of burning out.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
Thoughts on The Long Good Friday? It's not on the TSPDY list, but I know I've seen it listed as brit-noir before, and it's on my watch list for next month. ;)
Edited by sebby, Jul 25 2011, 01:09 AM.

burneyfan
Member Avatar
People's Front of Judea
sebby
Jul 25 2011, 01:09 AM
Thoughts on The Long Good Friday? It's not on the TSPDY list, but I know I've seen it listed as brit-noir before, and it's on my watch list for next month. ;)
I'd call it noir-influenced, for sure. Criterion classes it among its "noir and neonoir" films -- that would be good enough for me! (Good film, btw!)

Re: Kasparius's comment above: I agree, no rewatches. I champion rewatching in general, but not to count in a challenge.

beeswax
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Kasparius
Jul 25 2011, 01:02 AM
Noir is a state of mind. And I think we didn't allow re-watches in the other challenge. I think a challenge is about challenging yourself as well. It's much easier to watch 10 films you know you will love, no chance of burning out.
Okay, kids.

Thanks for all the answers. (And list-postings.)

Count me in for the noir challenge, although my performance will be erratic.

And I will be using that Criterion thematic approach.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
Kasparius
Jul 25 2011, 01:02 AM
And I think we didn't allow re-watches in the other challenge.
So are re-watches counted or not?
I was planning to start with Rififi :unsure:

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Administrator
I'd allow rewatches because I'm used to them being counted at DVD Talk.. but I guess it depends on what the majority want.. Or we could assign less 'points' to rewatches?

bal3x
Member Avatar
Resident Lumet Guru
I would be in favor of re-watches, but whatever is decided is fine by me. No biggie :)

ormazd
Member Avatar
Droogan Leader
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
One vote against rewatches.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I have played the game with no rewatches so far, but I think that rewatches should be allowed, as long as they are a small percentage, say, a maximum of 2-5%. The percentage could be decided upon perhaps. I think it's okay as long as we stick to mostly new films. But then, what does everyone else think?

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
Ok, I'm in. I have gone on several noir trips in the past so I've seen most of the acknowledged stuff, therefor I would love some suggestions. Here's what I have left on the top 250: http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/250+quintessential+noir+films/crinderman/?order=year

I'd appreciate all recs!

I also think these lists will be of assistance: http://noirlists.com/neonoir_13.html

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Crinderman, I recommend When Strangers Marry. It's perhaps just a "good" film, but it's also on the Jonathan Rosenbaum list. The Phenix City Story is also on Rosenbaum's list and even it's better than When Strangers Marry (in my opinion).

Also, I recently saw Shock. It's perhaps melodramatic, but still entertaining & suspenseful.

My Name is Julia Ross, Macao, and The Sniper are also highly recommended.

Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Crinderman
Jul 25 2011, 03:51 PM
Ok, I'm in. I have gone on several noir trips in the past so I've seen most of the acknowledged stuff, therefor I would love some suggestions. Here's what I have left on the top 250: http://www.icheckmovies.com/list/250+quintessential+noir+films/crinderman/?order=year

I'd appreciate all recs!

I also think these lists will be of assistance: http://noirlists.com/neonoir_13.html
Out of all those it's difficult to narrow it down, but I'd say Ride the Pink Horse and Hollow Triumph (aka The Scar).

Hm, also Tension and The Window and His Kind of Woman.

Also, I'd highly recommend The Bribe (not on the top 250) to anyone who enjoyed Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid! (I'd also suggest Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid as required viewing for any true noir fan, of course!)

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
The Obsessed Listmaking Slut
Thanks guys! Will try to see these during the challenge :)

Kasparius.
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm fully against rewatches.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Well, I was fully counting on watching new films anyway, so whatever's decided is ok w/me! :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone