Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you are registering with a Hotmail account, be sure to check for our authorisation email in your Junk folder, as that it likely where it will end up.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Chat Room
Topic Started: Friday Dec 17 2010, 12:37 PM (298 Views)
JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know we had one before.

I've seen other forums, that on the main page (home/index) it has a section thats the chat area up front and at the top.
Does this forum have the ability to do that have a window at the top of the homepage with one or similar?

I figured if it auto logged you into it as you logged into the forums it would be a decent place to quickly organise gaming meetups or discussions between members without navigating away or using PMs which are slow or go un-noticed.

Since we all don't use MSN etc (looks towards Wolfster) so when other members wish to discuss issues or help setup someones console or hardware its difficult to do so via PM or SMS or even 360 chat when they dont have gold membership (looks at Wolfster again) :)

The old chat room never got used as it went un-noticed where it was, do we have other alternatives available or plugins to modify the forums to suit?

Just a thought or suggestion, its not overly important but thought it might help over the holiday period for when people want to play online together.

Then again im the only one asking about it so if theres not much interest in it then no point :)

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There's one coming. Has been for about a year though. We can get it right now if we pay extra for it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Pretty Serious Cosmetics - Help support my habit

JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
How much?
oh and is it once off, subscription or regular fee to upgrade / maintain etc?
Edited by JAMSIN, Friday Dec 17 2010, 01:15 PM.

Posted Image

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They have a stupid subscription thing where you get their "premium" service which honestly includes bugger all. You get to pay for the privilige of beta testing for them, which includes the shout box. I believe it has to go on the portal page though, which is so damn clunky it's useless.

I've been working on a far more permanent solution.
Posted Image
Posted Image

JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I suppose ZetaBoards is the best forum kit around?
If you need help with the 'permanent solution' idea let me know.

Posted Image

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Zetaboards was suppose to be the upgrade of our previous forum, so I got to move it over without losing anything. They've done fuck all with it since though and it's really not flexible unless you want to spend way to long coding around their own code.

So if we need a better solution, I figured it should be worth the effort. Been experimenting and building for a while, hence the lack of new shit around here lately.

Could always throw a new theme your way sometime soon. I'll let you know.
Posted Image
Posted Image

JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thats probably the main issue with changing systems is losing all the userdata and forums posts etc.
This place serves its purpose anyway, unless there were major improvements to be had that you required.

Posted Image

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
There would be enough gained to maybe make the place a bit more fun to use and start luring new members in again.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lonely Wolf
Member Avatar
Am glad Necris is back
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I honestly think we should be making this into something you (as in Hiss) can make a living from. Been thinking this for a while, you have the ability to articulate your well thought out interesting points of view awesomely. I think you would make a bit of a natural journalist.

If i was you i'd do this:
Step 1: Make a site
Step 2: Start bringing out weekly articles.
Step 3: Start advertising a bit more aggressively.
Step 4: Kick out Jam so he doesnt scare of the new members by being such a jerk.
Step 5: Sell some advertising space.
Step 6: Profit.
Posted Image
SIG by Necris

JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You realise if you remove me from the forums I'll just come to your house and be a jerk, Ill setup shop in your house and happily interrupt and interfere in every conversation you have with anyone.

I'll eat with you, ill converse with you, ill sleep.. sit at the side of your bed and make a low pitched humming noise that you like to settle you to sleep, Ill even hold hands with you as you skip to the local shops to pick up your groceries.

I'll even bring my own obnoxious audience member vocals when you're having sex - sounds such as "ooh" and "ahh" and "oh no she di'nt" and my personal favourite "shak-alak-a-ding-dong"

Im prepared to do this.. :lol:

Posted Image

Lonely Wolf
Member Avatar
Am glad Necris is back
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I know bro, i havent told you where i live for this very reason.
Posted Image
SIG by Necris

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have done it before, though it was a friends site and we had a team of us working on it. Was supposed to be just for fun but it seemed others had a bit more planned than that.

It was called SegaLife.com. From it, a multiplatform site was created called VideoGamesLife.com. I was the retro editor. Me and my partner in crime, the Fooman, would review the older Sega games (on top of the Dreamcast freebies) but naturally that was a bit too black and white for us so we used to come up with articles like what was happening this time 5 years ago. Foo once fully documented an attempt to play Sonic games non-stop for 24 hours (He got REAL close!).

Some of those guys actually got into games jounalism. The guy that started it is currently the online editor of 360Gamer. He did intend to keep the SegaLife.com domain registered should we choose to resurrect it, but it was gobbled up while he was moving across Europe. I registered SegaLife.net thinking a full retro site could be done again one day.

I'd still like to get to that plan one day, but that would be more of a side project really. What I would really like to set up is a sort of social network for gamers. One spot were you can easily connect to alot of gamers in your region or with other similar traits that have the same game as you across all systems. I'd like to make it real easy to organise a gaming session with essentially a group of researched randoms. Clan functionality built in. User reviews on each game. Make Facebook and Twitter integration on the 360 dash even more useless.

But then we could just have a blog...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lonely Wolf
Member Avatar
Am glad Necris is back
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think there is a lot of money out there for this sort of thing, i think you have what it takes it some of it. It's time for you to get yours.
Posted Image
SIG by Necris

King Hiss
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The thing is, I've been working on my big plan for the last three years and it has nothing to do with any of this, but overlaps in areas to the point that I feel guilty working on certain things sometimes. Too much on the go and a day job in the way.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Lonely Wolf
Member Avatar
Am glad Necris is back
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Dude child labour is the way to go. Offer necris $5 on hour to code for you, im sure he'll jump at the chance for a pay rise. :D

Glad you've got a plan, everyone should.
Posted Image
SIG by Necris

JAMSIN
Member Avatar
Hardcore Whore
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting.. social gaming, it could be done, I suppose its almost similar in a sense to FaceBook, people register their interest and would it auto find people of similar interest in your locale or perhaps list them and their statistics - how often they play online etc to compare, guild/clan details.

Would be ideal, sounds interesting anyway.

Blogs are ok but sometimes a bit useless, mainly to keep up to date with news or releases really.

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Forum Issues and Suggestions · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Help us get rid of ads and buy cool features!